Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 21, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: They could sell this as a kit!
PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2017 2:44 am 

For that kind of money, you are getting ripped off.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 14, 2017 7:54 pm 

The modulator circuit from a 1kW AM tube transmitter could deliver ten times the power with lower distortion levels. The Carver Silver Seven 700 can deliver 700W RMS at 0.5% distortion, and it costs less!

What I do not understand about consumer audio, even supposedly audiophile grade equipment and car audio, is that unbalanced RCA interconnects are used universally. Nobody uses any kind of balanced interconnect, as is done in the world of professional audio. Even the smallest, budget mixing boards from Mackie and Behringer offer at least a few balanced line-level inputs, as well as a balanced output.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 4:36 pm 

You see balanced audio on consumer equipment, but it is usually the very expensive stuff.

Using balanced audio would eliminate the chance of ground loops.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 7:32 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
5% distortion is fair for a tube amplifier.
Perhaps for a SE amp, but far too high for a good PP amp. I am not an SE fan!
azenithnut wrote:
In fact, it is the distortion that gives a tube amplifier its "warm sound".
The harmonics are of even order and pleasant to the ear, therefore higher distortion levels are acceptable.
Agree this happens, particularly with SE, but tube amps also give odd harmonics. Unfortunately, too much even harmonic distortion makes notes sound like octave chords... not my idea of Hi-Fi!
azenithnut wrote:
Transistor amplifiers have odd order harmonics which are harsh to the ear.
Therefore you see very low THD ratings.
Indeed, some have, but not all s/s amps all do this. Odd harmonics add to THD the same way even ones. Yes, odd harmonics sound worse. My Yamaha M4 produces close to zero THD (even plus odd harmonics)... it's nearly a "short thick wire with power gain" :-) But, while driving down THD is a good thing, intermodulation distortion is the worst kind and must be always minimized.
azenithnut wrote:
Audiophools love to describe the distortion the way Oenophiles describe fine wine. Its all about the distortion, Baby! :D

We agree! I prefer wine without the Oenophile hype!... drink enough and you'll think your table-top AA5 is real Hi-Fi!
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Jul Sun 16, 2017 7:56 pm 

Far as distortion goes I can use a fixed frequency (usually 400Hz) and set the amp to right before distortion as seen on a scope and if I make it to where the signal is the least bit visibly distorted I can usually hear it and it is unpleasant.

That's one reason I spend so much time getting the amplifiers i build just right and is why i sometimes will add on a more powerful external amp all in the name of low distortion.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 1:04 am 

Joseph Newton wrote:

I like this comment: 'LED lights turn green when the amp is powered up to let you know your wallet has been rinsed' :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 1:42 am 

Howdy 6,

Number 6 wrote:
Joseph Newton wrote:

I like this comment: 'LED lights turn green when the amp is powered up to let you know your wallet has been rinsed' :lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing that really gets me is that LED's are known to generate TONS of RF, all over the spectrum. WHY would anybody want such a thing in a linear amplifier? Yet another gimmick to pull in the uninitiated, if you ask me.

Randy AB5NI

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 8:06 am 

hello majoco,
yes I had to laugh about the binding posts I need to finish my little peter design 5902 amp and majoco my binding posts are brass :lol: Keystone brand

PostPosted: Jul Mon 17, 2017 7:59 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
Now if McIntosh would just swap out the ugly blue meter lighting and use green lighting or use RGB LEDs so one can select the color they want that would be great.

In college, I had a roommate who did a summer internship at McIntosh. He explained to me that there is a very clever marketing reason why McIntosh uses blue lighting on its products. His story was that early in the company's history, there were some meters that were slightly scuffed. Human visual acuity is not as good with blue light as it is with other colors, making small flaws in something like a meter harder to see.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2