Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 23, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10 fall update
PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 12:36 am 

I could roll back to the previous Windows 10 version but I would have to reinstall some programs and id just be auto updated again as I cannot turn off updates in Windows 10 home edition.

I've got another WiFi card on the way that is compatible with Windows 10.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 12:41 am 

Hey Tube,

Tube Radio wrote:
I could roll back to the previous Windows 10 version but I would have to reinstall some programs and id just be auto updated again as I cannot turn off updates in Windows 10 home edition.

I believe there is a way to remove a particular update and then tell Windows to not re-install another update for a particular item. I know that you used to be able to do this.

Quote:
I've got another WiFi card on the way that is compatible with Windows 10.

In the end, I guess all will be good then, tube. It's a shame that you had to go out and spend money for a solution, though.

Randy AB5NI

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 2:11 am 

My final solution fixed mine!
Went through all things update driver, install updates from MS. RESTORED, finally removed power, and battery. Turned back on and Now works. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 5:28 am 

ab5ni wrote:
Hey Tube,

In the end, I guess all will be good then, tube. It's a shame that you had to go out and spend money for a solution, though.

Randy AB5NI

Guess it is money well spent as I will now have wireless N capability.

That said I am thankful the laptop runs at all on Windows 10.

At first the backlight wouldn't shut off when the lid was closed but I found some video driver that fixed it along with allowing the native resolution to be used.

Keep waiting for an update to make it incompatible lol.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 6:12 am 

I don't know which update I got but Win 10 just did a cumulative update this evening, I hadn't even noticed it was happening until it asked if I wanted to reboot.
Everything seems fine and I don't really notice anything different.

Edit: I'm still at version 1703 so I guess it was just a minor update.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 12:38 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
I'm of the position that since Microsoft broke it they should fix it.

Good Luck on that ever happening.

Tube Radio wrote:
Perhaps at some later point I may try linux.

An excellent solution for older computers from my experience.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 12:52 pm 

poorguy wrote:
Tube Radio wrote:

I can dream can't I :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 3:10 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
poorguy wrote:
Tube Radio wrote:

I can dream can't I :lol:

Yes you can.

I only use Windows OS for Flight Simulator X and Flight Simulator 2004 "A Century Of Flight".

I have recently installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit on my Flight Simulator desktop and the install and updates and roll up updates all installed without any problems on this old desktop built in 2010 for Flight Simulator.

Windows 7 seems to work better than ever now and may be a better solution to your problem since you are using an older computer.

Just something to think about.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 6:29 pm 

Had installed 7 using the key from a 7 laptop with motherboard issue just so I could get the free copy of 10 and 7 ran slower on the laptop than 10 does.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 8:39 pm 

Quote:
I do need to find a permanent way to ensure W10 will never check for updates.

In two words, you can't. There are some registry hacks you can do that will LIMIT the number of updates, even stop them for a time, but they always come back. And you can sometimes fool the system into thinking you do not have sufficient internet bandwidth for an update, but eventually it will find a way to make your life miserable. hey, it's WINBLOWS!!. It Is Allllliiiiivvvvveeeeeeeeeeee

I do not think anyone without hardware that MS says is minimum for Win10, should even think about win10. That's the way of the world today. I am running 6 XP PRO systems at my shop, and I refuse to update all that hardware. At some point I will probably have to. I got a brand new win10 laptop, downloaded a trial version of autocad, and found out that autocad is "not yet compatible fully" with windows 10 and I should keep running XP. SHEESH .... then MS tells me I need to get rid of XP and use WIN10. Circular equations, anyone ??

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 10:03 pm 

Howdy Barry,

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Quote:
I do need to find a permanent way to ensure W10 will never check for updates.

In two words, you can't. There are some registry hacks you can do that will LIMIT the number of updates, even stop them for a time, but they always come back. And you can sometimes fool the system into thinking you do not have sufficient internet bandwidth for an update, but eventually it will find a way to make your life miserable. hey, it's WINBLOWS!!. It Is Allllliiiiivvvvveeeeeeeeeeee

I've never tried it, but I sometimes wonder if you could just rename a couple of files so Winblows can't find them and stop their BS that way? :D. One day I got so pissed off at MS for their crap that I was going to disassemble some stuff and NOP out some code and reassemble things, but then I decided that was too much work, put an older PC on my bench, and ran Linux on the thing. Eventually, after I got the Linux box setup to my liking, I was using the older box more often than the newer PC with Windows, so I said to hell with it, backed up my important files, and formatted it and installed Linux on it as well.

Quote:
I do not think anyone without hardware that MS says is minimum for Win10, should even think about win10. That's the way of the world today.

If you knew what you were doing, back in the day, you could kill specific services/processes and get older machines to play semi-decently on 7 and 8, but MS caught on to what everyone was doing and put a stop to that as well. That was the last straw for me. Well, that and the forced telemetry.

As far as the forced telemetry goes, some friends of mine and I guess that MS was subsidized by the government(s) to give Windows 10 away, just so they'd be back in business monitoring everyone. It's crap like that and their greed that has all of us dumping their products across the board, and recently they've been trying to push software rental on most of their products, further increasing their profit margin and making Wall Street happy.

If that wasn't bad enough, Gates, Zuckerberg, and other industry moguls are trying to convince everyone that their isn't enough programming talent in the world, which is utter BS. Basically, they're trying to flood the market with programmers to increase competition and reduce their costs, further increasing their profit margins, getting richer in the process. Can you say greed? I knew you could!

Quote:
I am running 6 XP PRO systems at my shop, and I refuse to update all that hardware. At some point I will probably have to. I got a brand new win10 laptop, downloaded a trial version of autocad, and found out that autocad is "not yet compatible fully" with windows 10 and I should keep running XP. SHEESH .... then MS tells me I need to get rid of XP and use WIN10. Circular equations, anyone ??

You can expect TONS of circular BS from MS! I'd also love to know how you keep all of the malware and virus' off your machines? You, my friend, should be able to tell us the absolute best software to use to remove that junk :D.

Randy AB5NI

PostPosted: Oct Thu 12, 2017 11:52 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
Quote:
I'd also love to know how you keep all of the malware and virus' off your machines?

not hooked to internet

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 12:19 am 

Howdy sim,

simplex1040 wrote:
Quote:
I'd also love to know how you keep all of the malware and virus' off your machines?

not hooked to internet

These days, air gaps don't make too much of a difference, unfortunately. They do help, to some extent, but not if they are determined to get into your system/intranet. For instance, if they can get in on your cell phone, tablet, laptop, or thumb drive, they'll install keylogging software (and network sniffers, when applicable) and look for passwords on anything and everything. If they see that you're doing something they are really interested in, such as designing a new audio amplifier or something, they'll install software that, once connected to your off-line intranet, will try to copy what they are interested in to that device (or any other breached device) and relay the data to the internet. I've even read about them using ultrasonics and transmitting data via PC speakers to cross the air gap as well! Recently, I read an article that said they have even tested transmitting data using cameras and blinking LEDs on the air-gapped computer.

Now, do I believe that this is his case? Probably not, and he should be good, but he shouldn't allow his users to jack in USB drives, phones, and tablets, just to be on the safe side, especially if he has competition that would just love to get ahold of his data. Unfortunately, Windows XP was the most attacked OS in the world, at one point. Because his users can jack in these devices at will, he should also install malware and virus-detecting software and check things out on a regular basis. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if those XP boxes were clean.

BTW, I also do computer-security work as a hobby for friends and have studied it out of curiosity for many years, since the old days of the Usenet and the comp.risk threads. I'm not totally up to snuff on the latest techniques, playing around with tubes and radios these days, but it wouldn't take me very long to pick up on the newer stuff as well.

Randy AB5NI

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 12:51 am 

I use Norton Utilities and one other that shall remain nameless (no, NOT Kasperski) .... set to near maximum protection. Norton is a known resource hog, and it can occasionally slow some things down to a crawl, but it has kept me very well protected over the years. The only issue I had was someone's kids on the internet downloading stuff, clicking "yes" to everything. By the time I got to that system, I had to reformat it and start over. I've never in my life seen so many windows flying around a computer screen all by themselves.

That aside, I've been safe. It helps to have put the fear of death into anyone that would even THINK of plugging in one of their own zip drives.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 1:12 am 

Howdy Barry,

Barry H Bennett wrote:
I use Norton Utilities and one other that shall remain nameless (no, NOT Kasperski) .... set to near maximum protection. Norton is a known resource hog, and it can occasionally slow some things down to a crawl, but it has kept me very well protected over the years. The only issue I had was someone's kids on the internet downloading stuff, clicking "yes" to everything. By the time I got to that system, I had to reformat it and start over. I've never in my life seen so many windows flying around a computer screen all by themselves.

That aside, I've been safe. It helps to have put the fear of death into anyone that would even THINK of plugging in one of their own zip drives.

Cool. For those running newer versions of Winblows, I'd suggest giving HerdProtect a shot, which is a cloud-based scanner that looks for malware, crapware, etc. It's free, and is located at: http://www.herdprotect.com/index.aspx. It uses 68 different malware engines to find this garbage. Another good resource for malware is "Superantispyware" which is updated frequently. Recently, the herdprotect dudes have offered a commercial version of their software, and I'd recommend it to you guys if you want maximum protection from the garbage that is out there via the web. It could also run decently under XP, but I've never tried doing so, guys. Maybe somebody can test it and let us know for sure.

Also, never, EVER jack in a USB drive, CD, or DVD you find on the ground next to your car, unless you're using a VM and know exactly what you are doing. A lot of the time, this can be malware designed to get into your system and break into your intranet, especially if you're a big outfit that has a lot to lose if folks get ahold of your data.

Randy AB5NI

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 12:06 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
In two words, you can't.

I could until about a couple weeks before the last update that broke my Wi-Fi.

Had Windows update service disabled since I installed W10 and got no updates, but I guess Microsoft caught on to that and somehow figured a way to push something to people's computers that wasn't an update which would re-enable the Windows update service when it wants to check for updates.

Had I the money at the time I would have gotten the pro version and not have had to deal with this issue, but given I got the laptops for free and only spent what it cost for a battery, memory and SSD for the Dell I thought why not get 10 for free as well.

I would have preferred the HP laptop as it had the better specs and was newer, but the motherboard problem was something not fixable plus the Dell looks like it was built more ruggedly than the HP.

Barry H Bennett wrote:

I've used Norton 360 ever since it was introduced and used whatever previous Norton product it replaced. Only ever had one thing get through and even then it was only some nuisance thing that dicked with a few of the icon pictures which were promptly restored back correctly after using Malwarebytes which usually means whatever it was had been too new for Norton to have a definition for it or was something that was done in a way Norton couldn't find it.

So far N360 is not a resource hog, but their earlier products were for sure.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 4:56 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
I do not think anyone without hardware that MS says is minimum for Win10, should even think about win10.

I guess Microsoft has made my decision for me as to what I was going to do with the six desktop computers that I decided to receive the Windows 10 upgrade on which were then set on the shelf until I decided what to do with them.

Since none of them meet the requirements of what Microsoft thinks is a worthy computer for Windows 10 my decision is an easy one.

No Windows 10 for this house and also no loss. :)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 5:21 pm 

poorguy wrote:
Barry H Bennett wrote:
I do not think anyone without hardware that MS says is minimum for Win10, should even think about win10.

I guess Microsoft has made my decision for me as to what I was going to do with the six desktop computers that I decided to receive the Windows 10 upgrade on which were then set on the shelf until I decided what to do with them.

Since none of them meet the requirements of what Microsoft thinks is a worthy computer for Windows 10 my decision is an easy one.

No Windows 10 for this house and also no loss. :)

How old are those computers?

If not before 2009 they will work well on Windows 10.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 5:29 pm 

ab5ni wrote:
Also, never, EVER jack in a USB drive, CD, or DVD you find on the ground next to your car, unless you're using a VM and know exactly what you are doing. A lot of the time, this can be malware designed to get into your system and break into your intranet, especially if you're a big outfit that has a lot to lose if folks get ahold of your data.

Randy AB5NI

https://deaddrops.com/ :shock:

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 6:14 pm 

Howdy Findm,

Findm-Keepm wrote:
ab5ni wrote:

Randy AB5NI

https://deaddrops.com/ :shock:

I wonder how many of those are located in lower Manhattan :D ? You'd have to be majorly retarded to use such a thing, but I'm sure some idiot is just going to jack in and think it's cool. Also, never, ever jack in a USB device or your phone into a public computer, such as those available for free use at public libraries. It would be really nice if all of this was legit and on the up-and-up, but, unfortunately, you can't treat them that way. That website is nothing more than social engineering, as far as I'm concerned.

Randy AB5NI

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 137 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next