Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 20, 2018 5:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My last task for 2017
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 3:18 am 

hoffies2 wrote:
Tom Schulz wrote:
Tube Radio wrote:
TV tubes are good for experimenting with so if any of those are listed in the classifieds it might be good to mention that.

TV tubes are also good tor fixing TVs! In fact one of the forums here is titled "Antique Television Discussions".

CRT's aren't available since the rebuilders went out of business years ago. What future does that leave us with?

The TV tubes are not being made anymore either. For that matter, radio tubes are not being made anymore. Same deal for all of them, use old stock as long as it lasts.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:02 pm 

Yes they are good for fixing TVs, but often the tubes get thrown out and I figured another use for them would maybe kerep people from being so hasty to throw them out.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:06 pm 

Quote:
The ones I don't want will most likely be offered here then on evil bay. Now I just have to figure out what stays and what goes.

In General, the ones you sell will be the ones you need next Tuesday :-D

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 2:44 pm 

Show me where I can buy 1950's NOS CRT's, providing (phosphorous) is still ok. NOS radio tubes are out there in the millions and still test the same 80 years later. Not so with vintage CRT's

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 6:57 pm 

hoffies2 wrote:
Show me where I can buy 1950's NOS CRT's, providing (phosphorous) is still ok. NOS radio tubes are out there in the millions and still test the same 80 years later. Not so with vintage CRT's

About 6 months ago I bought a 17TP4 from the Early Television Museum. CRTs are certainly not out there in the millions, but you can get NOS and good used ones, at least for now. And if you are like me you will not use an old TV enough to wear out a CRT. The same for radios that I restore and then seldom use.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 9:43 pm 

Tom Schulz wrote:
hoffies2 wrote:

About 6 months ago I bought a 17TP4 from the Early Television Museum. CRTs are certainly not out there in the millions, but you can get NOS and good used ones, at least for now. And if you are like me you will not use an old TV enough to wear out a CRT. The same for radios that I restore and then seldom use.

NOS or used will cost you more then the TV's worth, I had a GE locomotive tv here that I played often and a few others over 60 years. Many times they weren't always reliable and had some quirk or two. I don't believe in shelf queens. I feel why bother sinking $$$ into something you seldom use, but to each his/her own. Tossed along with other related tv parts a box of 94 NOS Zenith modules, coils, transformers, etc from the 1970's. Couldn't get an opening bid of $10.00 on EBay. Junk like that just takes up space, don't need it.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 9:56 pm 

Quote:
Junk like that just takes up space, don't need it.

Next time, TOSS it over here please :) I don't need it either, but I have PLENTY of space. MORE STUFF!!!!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 11:10 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Quote:
Junk like that just takes up space, don't need it.

Next time, TOSS it over here please :) I don't need it either, but I have PLENTY of space. MORE STUFF!!!!

The time will come this Spring when I will doing a 100% clean out of my work shop..I don't look back and learned this over the years or you will never get rid of ANYTHING. He who has the most when they leave this Earth wins. Me >>>> I'd be in last place.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 12:58 am 

I took a modest box of TV tubes to a tube seller, John at Pacific TV, and came away with a few tubes that I actually needed. So that's another option, trade them in. Most of the sellers are also buyers.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 1:15 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
I took a modest box of TV tubes to a tube seller, John at Pacific TV, and came away with a few tubes that I actually needed. So that's another option, trade them in. Most of the sellers are also buyers.

Not an option around here since there are no volume sellers in my area and shipping would be a pita.

I like the idea of keeping what is needed for the radios I have.

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2