Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 14, 2018 7:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Code Reader For 1995 Oldsmobile 88 Royale
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 3:37 pm 

Is there an inexpensive code reader in the aftermarket that I could use to check the codes on this 1995 Oldsmobile 88 Royale? This vehicle is sort of an oddball in that it seemed in the past that one simply had to purchase a specialized and expensive code reader for this car. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Code Reader For 1995 Oldsmobile 88 Royale
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 4:11 pm 

It appears that it is an OBDI computer with an OBDII plug, Ugh....

from a website

Quote:
The 1995 Olds 88 has an obd 2 plug, but is an obd 1 system. Some people call it obd 1.5
There is no option to jump 2 contacts to flash the codes on the check engine light in these cars.
You will either need a compatible scan tool, or a cable to hook to a laptop and the software to pull the codes. (check out http://www.aldlcable.com)
One such scan tool is the Actron CP9185. It has the extra data pin for the 8192 baud communication with the computer in these cars. (pin 9 on the OBD 2 connector)

That scanner does not qualify as cheap but I think you have no choice.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 5:24 pm 

Well, the 1995 Oldsmobile 88 Royale is actually my mother's car, and given the age of the car, it's debatable as to whether she wants to sink any money to even repair the exhaust system on that car. I borrowed the vehicle from my mother yesterday, and while I was driving it home, the check engine light came back on again. What was previously happening with the car was that there would sometimes be a sudden jerk when driving it up a hill (or putting it under a similar load), and it almost acted like an intake valve was malfunctioning. However, without at least a code reader to work with, we would have had to take it to a dealer to find out what the problem actually was.

Last edited by Blustar1 on Jan Wed 03, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 5:30 pm 

Around here all of the local parts houses will read the codes for free[Autozone,O'rielly's ,etc]
Phil

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 5:35 pm 

Philco Fan wrote:
Around here all of the local parts houses will read the codes for free[Autozone,O'rielly's ,etc]
Phil

Their code reader will not read this car.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 6:38 pm 

You probably would not find anything related to an intake valve sticking once in a while on a simple code reader.
You could take it to your local GM dealership and have them scan it with their dedicated GM scan tool. Probably cheaper than buying a new car. The most likely cause of that light coming on while the car actually runs fairly well except for an occasional jerk on a hill would, to my way of thinking, probably be the lock-up torque converter trying to work. Common for that vintage to have a converter that won't properly lock. It's the cause of a LOT of SES lamps lighting up. It's best to just leave it alone and drive the thing unless you live in one of those states that check your car for anything wrong every year or so. Around here, nobody cares if the light is on or not as long as the car runs ok and gets you where you're going.

Put your time into fixing the exhaust system, at least enough so it's not noisy, and keep the old thing running.
I'm betting it doesn't see a lot of miles per year anymore.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 6:57 pm 

Mark: I think that you nailed it right on the head. In fact, sometimes you can hear and feel some sort of bang or thud when the problem occurs which does point to a mechanical fault. The car does need another muffler installed in the rear so I'll bring it to the local shop (as soon as the snow storm passes over here). Thanks.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 7:06 pm 

If it is the lockup torque converter, how about just unplugging the connector to the torque converter? (If that is the problem) We had a bunch of them with that type of malfunction, even would stall the car at idle sometimes. The phone company's fix was "unplug it". Yes, costs a little more in gas but much cheaper than the repair.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 7:16 pm 

Mark hit the common cause of the CEL combined with the powertrain feel you experienced.

This is an oddball combination and the most likely place to have something that will read this code would be one of the independent shops that repairs a lot of "distressed" vehicles. Or in other words head to the bad part of town to find a shop that is familiar with this setup.

If you want to dig further into how to scan the codes, move out of the Oldsmobile environment and into the much more widely sold Chevrolet world (where the same OBD1 OBDII hybrid existed in 1995), because a lot more were sold so the information for reading the codes is out there. A couple of threads to get you started:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modi ... anner.html and

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/4th-gen-f-b ... -free.html

I don't think it is worth digging deep into this for a single vehicle of dubious value but it is doable without much cost.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 7:43 pm 

Don wrote: "If it is the lockup torque converter, how about just unplugging the connector to the torque converter?"

I'll look into it (as soon as the weather clears). At first we thought that some of the engine mounts were broke, and a couple in fact were. After the repair, we were left with the same problem. It was a wonder at the time that with all of those thuds which we heard and felt that the car would still run. In fact, the car would also shake, and so much in fact that the heater cold/hot control knob would vibrate off onto the floor

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 8:01 pm 

Too bad you didn't make your most recent comments earlier. That most recent info doesn't seem to me to be the converter. Maybe it still is, but it seems to be more violent than I've ever seen.
Still, disconnect the harness for the converter (as others have said) and see what happens. If it makes no difference, it's something other than the converter

What engine is in it?

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 8:10 pm 

I got my OBD I reader on Ebay. That would be the best place to get a good used one. I got an autoxray unit for $10 with a Ford OBD I adapter cable. One like that should have a cable to connect to your later type connector. Enter the characterstics you want in the Ebay search.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 8:35 pm 

Sorry for the incomplete posting Mark. Yes, when the problem occurs, one could certainly hear and feel a pretty good thud and/or will shake enough to vibrate the heater hot/cold selector knob onto the floor. I know that it has a 3800 engine, and I believe it to be a V6.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 9:30 pm 

I had a couple of those transgender gm products. Aside from the Tech 2 and the Snap On scanners, Actron will also read codes on these vehicles. My experience has been bad plug wires and bad coil packs. The torque converter will not cause the engine to shake at idle. I would pick up three coil packs at the junk yard for about $5 each and replace all three of them, Takes about ten minutes to do three of them. I used to carry spare coil packs in the trunk just in case I needed one. Of course there could be something else wrong such as the quad drivers in the computer or the injectors, intake leak, etc.

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 10:28 pm 

easyrider8 wrote:
...The torque converter will not cause the engine to shake at idle. ...etc.

Dave

I totally agree with that. But... I was a telephone man, not a mechanic :(

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 11:51 pm 

When the problem occurs, one can either hear and feel a big thump, and/or the car simply shakes somewhat violently. In both cases, it's when the vehicle is climbing up an incline or accelerating.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 11:56 pm 

Still could be the converter. To find out disconnect the plug. Could also be in the transmission. if so, drive it 'till it dies and get rid of it. Overhaul tranny is more than the car's worth... unless it's just like new in all respects except for this one issue, which I doubt.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 4:30 pm 

Hi,

Could also be a transmission problem. Had to replace the valve body on my 2000 Buick Lesabre after a fluid flush and filter change did not correct intermittent hard 1-2 shifting. A common cause is a dirty or bad pressure control solenoid. could also be something as simple as a worn transaxle mount causing your shudder.

Your car has the earlier version of the trans my car has. The Olds 88 is a reliable car and if the body and interior are good is worth repairing. Try a reputable transmission shop or a GM dealer that used to sell Oldsmobile in your area. Although any GM dealer that is reputable should be just as good.

Would be best to just pay for a scan and have their most experienced(often the oldest) mechanic with you on a road test. No need to replace entire trans. This problem is repairable for less than an overhaul or replacement.

Hopefully after a scan and a ride-along you will find out what issues the car has and then decide what to do. See this also: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/3.8 ... overhaul-1

Good luck

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 10:33 pm 

Could be something as simple as a sensor, too. My dad bought an Olds Cutlass Ciera with the 3300 V6 (essentially the same as the 3800) very cheap because the previous owners feared the transmission was failing. It would run ok most of the time, but had the occasional jerks, clunks, power loss and intermittent Check Engine light. I read the codes, and it had a failing Throttle Position Sensor and Mass Airflow Sensor. I replaced those two sensors, tuned it up and it ran flawlessly after that. Even for the next TWO owners after us. I would have kept that car after my dad died if I had any clue how LONG it was going to last. :roll:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 11:03 pm 

Be aware that a scan tool is not the holy grail people seem to think it is. Sometimes it points right at the problem. Most of the time it gives the tech information to aid in diagnosing a problem.
So if it says torque converter not locking, that doesn't tell you anything except it's not locking up. Now you need to figure out why.

Just saying...

Mark D.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 39 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next