Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 20, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Alzheimer's Treatment Progress
PostPosted: Jan Sat 06, 2018 1:23 pm 

Quote:
Of course, those who eat wrong, do not exercise and/or use illegal drugs should not want the rest of us to pay for their foolishness.

I suppose this would depend on one's definition of "wrong", and there will never be any way to get everyone to agree on that.

My opinion, and loosely based on the model followed by the CAR INSURANCE industry ... is that if everyone were "insured" (more on this term later) .. then the costs would go down for everyone. There are regulations in place to prevent price gouging ... and by regulations, I mean OPEN COMPETITION in the insurance industry for auto coverage. Why cannot this same model apply to health care?

"INSURANCE", when applied to health care, is, again in my opinion, a very misleading term. I'd prefer some term that simply calls it health care. Perhaps there could be a separate line item in such a policy for emergency care. That way, if you break your arm and have no insurance, you'd have the freedom to watch your arm shrivel up, die, and fall off. "your choice" at work. But I'm willing to pay into a system that would even cover such things; if everyone were paying into the system, everyone would benefit from the system.

One parting shot, is that with health care, there is the certainty that at some point you WILL need it. Not quite so with automobile coverage, but I do believe a similar business model would work regardless.

sheesh, I wrote another book.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 1:56 am 

OK, I can write this without getting "political." Just imagine if health insurance was like car insurance - for all practical purposes mandatory, readily available from numerous carriers all over the USA competing to offer the best prices and service, and with high risk pools to cover those otherwise uninsurable.

Now back to Alzheimer's. When I did the 23andMe DNA test, they offered, and I paid for, an Alzheimer's test. It was nice to see I do not have the genetic pre-disposition to Alzheimer's. Have any of you had such a test done?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 10:40 am 

No insurance will save a person from Dementia, or it's Alzheimer's strain.

From knowledge gleaned, it apparently comes from the mothers side, but can skip a generation. My grandmother, father, and his sister all died from it. Wife died from it last year, one of her brothers has it, but MIL is still alive.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2