Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Fri 25, 2018 5:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hawaiians get erroneous missile strike warning.......
PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 10:11 am 

What a load. We went through this BS in '62. It didn't happen then, and it ain't gonna happen now. There isn't a nation on Earth that doesn't recognize a strike on us -or any of our allies- means absolute annihilation of them.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 5:37 pm 

Two things I heard stand out, the inter connectivity of cell networks is buggy. The other
things said by people was the broadcast radio people listen to was fairly useless too.

As to the radio stations, in the 50s and 60s, they had people manning them. Tiny mom and
pops had an overall announcer/ dj /engineer , and large clear channels had a full staff.
These real people to act to get facts.

I don't think that will work very with new FCC regs allowing stations to become slave remotes
attached to a wide area network.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 6:02 pm 

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 6:04 pm 

fifties wrote:
What a load. We went through this BS in '62. It didn't happen then, and it ain't gonna happen now. There isn't a nation on Earth that doesn't recognize a strike on us -or any of our allies- means absolute annihilation of them.

I agree but my concern is not some N. Korean wackjob but some computer glitch or human error starting something unintentionally.

Watchout for SKYNET (or someone in California)!!!!!!!!!

BTW - I see they are coming out with Terminator 6 - you would think that the world would have been dead a few sequels ago!

Every expert was once a beginner

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 7:09 pm 

The claim is that the employee wasn't aware of it until mobile phones in the command center began displaying the alert.

"This guy feels bad, right? He's not doing this on purpose ... it was a mistake on his part and he feels terrible about it, said EMA Administrator Vern Miyagi in a press conference Saturday afternoon."

Ah, so there you have it - there was no intent, and he "feels bad". LOL!! Sleep well, America.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 14, 2018 7:49 pm 

As bad as this was, it would have been worse if he had failed to make the announcement during an actual emergency.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 12:04 am 

processhead wrote:
As bad as this was, it would have been worse if he had failed to make the announcement during an actual emergency.
I was wondering when someone would make that observation.

No one likes false alarms but the more checks and authorizations one layers onto the system the slower the response time gets. Heaven forbid it gets to the point, like Pearl Harbor, where the 'alert' arrives some number of hours after the whole attack is over.

Mistakes happen. On 5 January, "false earthquake warning panics Japan." And in August of 2016 they got warned of a magnitude 9 quake, which is shindo 7, the highest rank on the Japanese seismic intensity scale.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 11:31 am 

To where exactly did those newsreel people think they were running?

Know what I would have done. Gone surfing.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 3:50 pm 

It's just such an odd coincidence that this happened when tensions are high with the threat of North Korea, especially in Hawaii. I wonder if it goes deeper than just a mistake. No one is going to admit that our alert systems can be easily compromised. I have a sixth sense and this just doesn't sit right with me. If it indeed was just a "mistake", I'm sorry, but there should be very severe consequences to each and every person involved in the mistake. I don't see that happening.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 5:07 pm 

I don't understand. Isn't there a direct link (hot phone)
or a direct computer link from NORAD to Hawaii? :?

RT @PacificCommand: U.S. Pacific Command has detected no ballistic missile
threat to #Hawaii. Earlier message was sent in error and was…
twitter.com/i/web/status/9…

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 5:12 pm 

I heard the North Korean Girls Hockey Team was behind the whole thing. Scary.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 6:31 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:

Its not a fully automated system. There is still a human that pushes the button that sends out the canned message.
The guy screwed up. Hard to believe, but then again, maybe not.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 7:06 pm 

This illustrates the problem with a real attack or disaster. After notifying the public, they are on their own to try to survive.

In NYC there are no plans on how to get out in an emergency. You can't get around on a normal day let alone an emergency where no one knows how the roads or rails will be oriented to help with a mass evacuation. There should be published plans we could see to know where to drive, or run to. I would have several exits rerouting the road directons based on where the safe route may be. On Sept 11 no one could move. All the tunnels and roads were blocked.

People will be so confused there will be millions lost. Our leaders aren't leading. Most of my family will be gone.

I'm sure it's the case elsewwhere.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 7:38 pm 

There is only so much that can be planned for in any emergency. The contingencies are numerous and difficult to anticipate in a large population center, let alone create a plan for them.
Shelter in place and hope for the best may still be the most realistic option given the relatively short notice available.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 7:43 pm 

fifties wrote:

Any sane person would realize that. But the north Korean leader is insane. He might do something insane.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 8:04 pm 

processhead wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:

Its not a fully automated system. There is still a human that pushes the button that sends out the canned message.
The guy screwed up. Hard to believe, but then again, maybe not.

That's nutty...Why on earth does Hawaii have to monitor and make such actions/decisions for themselves when NORAD monitors All of that area anyways? :?
SteveJB wrote:
This illustrates the problem with a real attack or disaster. After notifying the public, they are on their own to try to survive.
In NYC there are no plans on how to get out in an emergency. You can't get around on a normal day let alone an emergency where no one knows how the roads or rails will be oriented to help with a mass evacuation. There should be published plans we could see to know where to drive, or run to. I would have several exits rerouting the road directons based on where the safe route may be. On Sept 11 no one could move. All the tunnels and roads were blocked.
People will be so confused there will be millions lost. Our leaders aren't leading. Most of my family will be gone. I'm sure it's the case elsewhere.

I'd head for a bank vault...and then "Time, Time, Time...and BOOKS!" :wink:
Attachment:
TimeEnoughAtLast.jpg
TimeEnoughAtLast.jpg [ 42.27 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 8:18 pm 

SteveJB wrote:

People will be so confused there will be millions lost. Our leaders aren't leading. Most of my family will be gone.

I'm sure it's the case elsewwhere.

It's pointless anyways, you can't out drive a nuclear blast. The whole idea of a warning is so you can bend
over and kiss your 'life' good bye.

What kind of warning would be "acceptable" to you from our leaders anyways?

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 8:22 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:
That's nutty...Why on earth does Hawaii have to monitor and make such actions/decisions for themselves when NORAD monitors All of that area anyways? :?

Hawaii, like most states, has its own emergency alert system for potential disasters specific to that state. For example, Hawaii likely has alerts for tsunami's, cyclones, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, fires, and probably other items as well. Missile alerts are just one of many.

NORAD does the monitoring, and then notifies both military and civil authorities if something bad is detected. The local civil authorities then implement the appropriate response, which may include evacuation.

This incident was a significant mistake, but it was by no means worthy of a criminal prosecution. It's not a good thing; false alarms make people (rightfully) question the integrity of the system. And false alarms are not without cost; it was fortunate that noone got killed in a traffic accident resulting from the alert. While unlikely, it could have been really bad if a military "response" was launched. At the same time, alert systems may need to triggered on a moment's notice.

As for the effectiveness of an evacuation order in the event of a number of nuclear missiles about to rain down, well, let's hope we never have to find out. I do remember being told to stock up on duct tape in the event of a chemical weapons attack; I guess the chemicals will see duct tape in your drawer and then decide to move on to your neighbor's house if you have a sufficient supply.

EDIT: If you're ever looking for a light hearted movie on the topic, check out Blast from the Past.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 8:35 pm 

IMO there's situations were mistakes have to be handled in a severe way to set an example. I heard the people involved were "reassigned". Everyone involved should have been fired on the spot - and black-balled to ever work with the same level of responsibility.
By the way, people in rural areas sometimes feel they're in better situation, but the repercussions after any serious strike from North Korea will create a scenario in which you would probably would wish you were at ground zero. It doesn't matter if your trapped in NYC or on a mountain in Montana, there will just be degrees of suffering in the aftermath.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 9:14 pm 

lexrageorge wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:
That's nutty...Why on earth does Hawaii have to monitor and make such
actions/decisions for themselves when NORAD monitors All of that area
anyways? :?

Hawaii, like most states, has its own emergency alert system for potential
disasters specific to that state. For example, Hawaii likely has alerts for
tsunami's, cyclones, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, fires, and probably
other items as well.

Of Course.
lexrageorge wrote:
Missile alerts are just one of many.
NORAD does the monitoring, and then notifies both military and civil
authorities
if something bad is detected.
The local civil authorities
then implement the appropriate response, which may include evacuation.

EXACTLY! Sooo what was HI doing without a notification FIRST from NORAD? :?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 64 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next