Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 25, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Insane spring blizzard
PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 6:31 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
So while we Californians seem to not get near the exciting weather some of you folks do this morning me and the wife were laying in bed and heard what sounded at first to be squirrels or cats running around on the roof, but then it got louder and louder and when I looked out I saw BIG pieces of HAIL coming out of the sky. I immediately got up, threw on some pants and draped towels all over the car outside. By the time I finished it was coming down the size of 1/2" marbles and when one nailed me on my shoulder it HURT! I don't think it did any damage but I'll just have to see later today. And then it thundered, which never happens here either

It sure took it's time but the hail just hit here about 5 minutes ago.Pretty small and no damage but the parking lot is covered with it.The air temp has also dropped about 10 degrees-no biggee.It only lasted about 5 minutes also.
Phil

Post subject: Re: Insane spring blizzard
PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 7:24 pm 

AuroraOldRadios wrote:
N2LXM wrote:
Can someone explain what's going on with Mother Nature.

Many scientists think the jet stream swings (wobble) have become more extreme due to global warming. YMMV

It's possible, but on the other hand in Minnesota we have had snow in June back in the late 1940's. The Jet Stream has never been very stable. It varies with season and other things.
When my wife and I were on an Alaska cruise we got into Glacier Bay. There was a park service person telling all of us on the foredeck how the bay used to be completely frozen right to the mouth of the bay. She then gave dates. The ice began to recede in the mid 1800's. By 1845 or thereabouts one island had become uncovered. A few decades after that another island was uncovered. It has continued to shrink back at a similar rate of ice loss.

Mark D.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2