Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Fri 21, 2018 5:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A New Junk Solicitation
PostPosted: Jun Wed 13, 2018 11:16 pm 

Got a synthesized voice message on the home phone advising me the license key on my home computer has expired and that they can help me out with it if I just call their number. Are there any others here getting these, or they just for the poor folks?

Post subject: Re: A New Junk Solicitation
PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 1:47 am 

I've been getting spoofed-number calls on my cell in Japanese. I feel special.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 2:54 am 

19&41, sorry, you're not special that way, although I would gladly forward you all of my fake solicitations. A sign of the times I'm afraid, and probably all too successful judging by the increasing number of them.

My favorite is the one that tells you in broken english that "This is Technical Support Microsoft and veee have found problem vit yourr computTter. My response <click> and caller blocked :) Last phone, I actually filled up the total blocked calls they allowed. My new iPhone X salesman told me there's no limit on this one. We shall see.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 3:20 am 

I got one that said if I press 4 I don't have to repay my student loans. Damn, I wish I had some student loans!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 4:38 am 

Sometimes you may miss a big opportunity:

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 5:32 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 6:47 am 

Pbpix wrote:
Sometimes you may miss a big opportunity:

Probably fake bills! :lol:

I found the site that tells you that your computer is infected and to call some number. I bookmarked it for future use in case I want to play a joke on someone. I just click on "close tab" if I want to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 1:53 pm 

There's only 205.6 million dollars in that picture. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/drug-money/

Can you imagine the space needed to hold 27 Billion?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 6:12 pm 

While reading this thread, my phone rang.

Somebody who had lots of trouble pronouncing my name, told me I'm preapproved for a business loan. I waited for him to start his sales spiel, then simply put him on hold. Whenever I get robocalls I put them on hold right away.

Whenever "Microsoft" calls about my computer, I ask him which one -- I've got six. Then he'll continue with the one that's in front of me (as if he knows). I respond, "You mean the Mac?" Then -- hold button.

I've got a Tele-Zapper around here somewhere. When it was connected, it worked -- in short order the calls dropped very noticeably. What it does is produce a tone, which tells the robo-dialer that the number has been disconnected, so the number gets dropped from the list.

What I plan on doing, someday when I have the time, is measure the frequency of the tone. Then with an audio generator, insert the tone in my voicemail message. It might seem easier to simply reconnect the thing, and I might do it for after-hours, but I really want to put this on my cell phone as well. That's where the REAL nuisance lies.

BTW, on a partly-related note, last week my wife and I went out to eat. Getting back in the car, I put it in reverse to back out of my parking space. The car is a 2012 Cadillac SRX, with a backup camera and a link to my cell phone. When the phone rings, the display tells me who is calling and gives me the option of accepting or declining the call. BUT -- just as I was backing up, the p[hone rang, and the display was busy with the camera. No phone number, no options. Pulling into traffic, I waited for either the correct display, or for it to stop ringing. I got neither. It kept on ringing and ringing, 20 times, 30 times, on and on. When I finally got to a red light, I stopped and picked up the phone itself. It was my sister. I answered the phone itself and it stopped everything. It so happens she called, but hung up after just a few rings -- but a program bug of sorts kept my phone-- and car -- ringing until I could pick up. Weird!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 6:32 pm 

I have OOMA that has a nice blacklisting service. Most odd calls are a one off, 2 calls make the blacklist that also goes on NoMoRoBo's blocking database. It also allows selecting that database as opposed to my own, but that takes out a number of genuine callers that use commercial area codes.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 15, 2018 12:08 am 

I'm afraid I don't even look at my phone anymore, let alone answer it, even if the phone is sitting right in front of me. I always respond to answering machine messages or voicemail (as appropriate), but spammers rarely leave a message. Kinda sad, really, that a very useful piece of everyday life is rapidly being so goobered up by the spammers that I've resorted to totally ignoring incoming calls.

-Bryan

PostPosted: Jun Fri 15, 2018 1:24 am 

I refuse to give anyone nor place my phone number unless it is a local concern that has a real need to reach me. I've had surprising places hand off my number to the spammers.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 15, 2018 12:41 pm 

Old Rad Lab wrote:
I'm afraid I don't even look at my phone anymore, let alone answer it, even if the phone is sitting right in front of me. I always respond to answering machine messages or voicemail (as appropriate), but spammers rarely leave a message. Kinda sad, really, that a very useful piece of everyday life is rapidly being so goobered up by the spammers that I've resorted to totally ignoring incoming calls.

-Bryan

this is what we do at home, If we don't recognize the number then the machine gets it. spamers never leave messages unless it is the FBI with a warrant or the IRS coming to arrest. On my cell i just send it to VM.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 17, 2018 4:05 am 

Perhaps a discussion for another thread, but twenty years or so ago, I use to be able to reach people pretty quickly by phone or email. Nowadays, with all the communication tools we have available (texting, social media, Twitter, Snapchat, voicemail, etc.), it takes me a day or two to actually get ahold of someone. And we're told this is progress, and that's why we must pay for all these tools that keep us constantly connected.

I'm not buying it. I think we're actually moving backwards in terms of being able to communicate.

-Bryan