Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 3:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Turo....rent your car to a stranger
PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 1:03 pm 

A wrestler posted on Twitter a few months ago that he found a gun in the glove box of the the car he rented. The scary thing is he rented it from Hertz...

PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 6:15 pm 

fifties wrote:
SHOVELHEAD TOO wrote:
battery-maker wrote:
"No, Officer, that is not my dime-bag of weed. That belongs to someone else, the guy I rented the car to...."

Bad news all 'round....

"No officer, it's not my weed, I rented the car from Turo, it must be the owner's stash."

This also brings up an interesting point. Impounding of the vehicle for whatever reason or a legal forfeiture in the case of used in commission of a crime, controlled substance, whatever. Who is responsible for towing, storage, legal representation in court regarding the owner's rights and or the lienholder's financial interest?

This would depend on the wording of the contract that ideally would be signed by both parties. No contract, a judge would have to decide.

Great, just what I would aspire to be, a test case........think I'll pass on this opportunity.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 6:48 pm 

It's hard to believe that anyone would think this is a good idea. This whole sharing thing is getting out of control.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 7:00 pm 

From wikipedia:
"On its website and app for iOS and Android,[21] Turo offers more than 800 makes and models of vehicles.[citation needed] Car rentals are available in more than 5,000 cities[22] in the U.S., Canada, Germany, and the U.K.[23][24]

Unlike traditional car-rental services, Turo does not own or maintain any cars. The company offers a platform by which car owners can rent their cars.[25] Turo claims its platform reduces rental costs compared to traditional car rental services.[26][27]

People who wish to rent their cars can register their cars online to be rented by other Turo members. The car owner states when and where the car will be available. A Turo member who wants to rent a car reserves a specific time slot for the car online. Turo takes 25 percent of rental income.[28] and pays for the amount of time they signed up for.[29] [30]

Through Turo's American insurance partner Liberty Mutual,[31] the Turo service covers vehicles with up to $1 million of liability insurance to protect car owners against lawsuits for injuries and property damage.[23][15] Cars listed must be 2006[32] or newer with an odometer reading below 130,000 miles, with some exceptions. All Turo users are screened for trust and safety purposes."

So Turo's insurance will cover the vehicle while it is being rented out. I do know, they have a review system, similar to AirBNB's. So the renter can rate the vehicle and it's owner as well as the owner rates the renter.

While i may use the service itself, I would not rent my vehicle out. The only time I would be using it, is if I flew somewhere and needed a car to use while I was there.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 7:48 pm 

I have to know more about the financials, but it might make sense if you buy a beater and rent it out instead of your own car.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

PostPosted: Aug Fri 10, 2018 8:57 pm 

I googled ‘Turo horror stories’. Here’s a good one...

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-happen ... 1792048817

PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2018 12:16 am 

goinggoinggone wrote:
I googled ‘Turo horror stories’. Here’s a good one...

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-happen ... 1792048817

Excellent article! Even though Turo claims to have you covered on their insurance policy when you rent your car, you are putting your personal auto policy in jeopardy by using your car that way. If your insurance company knew you were doing this they would probably cancel you in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2018 1:11 am 

From a State Farm auto policy:

Under physical damage coverages

Exclusions

There is no coverage for:

2. Any covered vehicle while it is rented to or leased to others by the insured.

3. Any covered vehicle while it is used to carry persons for a charge. This exclusion does not apply to the use of a private passenger car on a share-the-expense basis.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 11, 2018 1:41 am 

Countryford wrote:
From wikipedia:

Through Turo's American insurance partner Liberty Mutual,[31] the Turo service covers vehicles with up to $1 million of liability insurance to protect car owners against lawsuits for injuries and property damage.[23][15]

goinggoinggone wrote:
From a State Farm auto policy:

Under physical damage coverages

Exclusions

There is no coverage for:

2. Any covered vehicle while it is rented to or leased to others by the insured.

3. Any covered vehicle while it is used to carry persons for a charge. This exclusion does not apply to the use of a private passenger car on a share-the-expense basis.

Well this makes sense. If you rent the car out, Turo covers the insurance, and your own carrier does not.

The only way this would work for me, is if I had bought a new or newer car, and the one being replaced was a vanilla car (base trim economy vehicle) in mediocre condition.

Come to think about it, no, I don't think I would rent it out; don't need the drama of anticipation when inspecting it every time it came back.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2