Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 26, 2018 6:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 10:52 pm 

This video might interest some of you.

http://www.insideline.com/features/the-resurrection-of-general-lee.html#6?mktcat=enabler&AID=10364102&PID=3497329&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=cj260233

The very first General Lee used in the show (what was left of it) was restored back to running condition after sitting for years in a junk yard.

Pretty incredible considering the condition it was in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 2:08 am 

Steve McQueen had 2 Mustangs in "Bullet". One had a tweaked suspension and engine. The other a mild mannered twin.

I hated to see the Beretta TV series car get wrecked. Faded out 66 Caprice 4DR HDTP. Engine a 396 with 400 Turbo-Hydro. A reality car. I had an identical one in the back lot.
It might not have been all that wrecked though. On it's side with a little fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 4:58 am 

If I remember right, the record for wrecking cars was in the Blues Brothers. The good thing was they were all Dodge Monacos that nobody has seemed to miss much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 6:30 am 

mgk920 wrote:
I agree, they could be purpose-built 'stunt doubles'. Example, in the current-release action flick Unstoppable, the locomotives shown being wrecked and destroyed were purpose-built stunt doubles, whereas all of the working ones had their theatrical make-up removed and were returned to their real railroad company owners when filming was completed.

Mike

those locomotives were repainted here at NRE shops in Paducah KY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 6:35 am 

Dale Saukerson wrote:
But on the other hand, do a Wiki search on General Lee, the name of the Dodge Charger in the Dukes of Hazard. Apparently, more than 200 were used in filming this six year series of garbage. Those were real jumps with real cars and real landings.

i rember seeing a bad edit in an episode showed a fraction of a second too long with a jump of the general lee. showed the front end hitting the ground and buckling then next shot it drove off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 6:59 am 

ggregg wrote:
If I remember right, the record for wrecking cars was in the Blues Brothers. The good thing was they were all Dodge Monacos that nobody has seemed to miss much.

There were Fury's, Monacos, Polaras, and at the time they made the movie, 1979-80 they were only a few years old. It would be like wrecking an 07 Ford Crown Victoria or a Chrysler 300. Watching the movie they weren't all totaled anyhow, and much of what they were using were probably mule cars from the junk yard, it was filmed with a fairly low budget so good running cars would have been out of their budget.
Best Regards
Arran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 8:15 am 

I sold my Yamaha DT-1 to the guy some of you may remember that was on “That’s Incredible”. The dude that got yanked off the back of it by a rope. I felt it was pretty stupid but he had the cash and I had the 250. He didn’t care about paperwork or anything. Just needed it for a stunt.

There used to be a lot of suave and deboner (sp. is meant to be humor) people around here like that in the 80’s.

Once upon a time I repaired Robin Williams’s Beta vcr so his kids could watch Mork and Mindy. Thermal failure due to where it was located in his rack w/ not enough clearance for convective cooling. I also kept his C-band dish tracked and later on installed a 25 degree Ku lnb when that came about. I met Dr. Johnny Fever there of WKRP and was the first time I ever drank a Corona beer with them both. For the most part these people are cool, just like us actually. The things you see on the silver screen are a travesty when it comes to old cars but like others have said it was during those times that they were not worth really anything and the actors for the most part are cool.
I used to buy Camaros for 1800.00 to 2500.00 back in the 70’s. Price one now. In January ’79 I bought a ’69 RS for 2500.00 with hideaway headlights and headlight washers and the backup lights in the lower valance. Black on black. It’s in the August edition of CarCraft of 1979. I got rid of a ’68 Camaro that had a 396 in it for that. Could not keep Turbo 400’s in it for any length of time with the gearing and the lift of the cam. With L50/15’s when I raced, it would literally spin the tires most of the way with 3:73’s and the old hard Monkey Wards rubber. Was a kick in the ass but not a really good family vehicle. I remember going through McDonalds in it and my first wife’s head bobbing up and down when she laid her head up against the top door panel due to the cam lope, later on I found out that would be the best it got. :(

Back then these cars were just old and no one knew that they would be worth money. A Ralleye pack or TicTachToc meant really nothing. I scored a Z28 console with gauges one night late on the cruise in Kragens’ parking lot for 20 bucks and a joint of ragweed in ’77 and I thought that was too much.
Same for the Mopar 727 slapsticks…. The Old’s that had the engine size in liters on the inside door panels, the Pontiac LeMans with the 326’s… we used to do neutral drops with those because they took it.

Those were fun times. Just ramblin’ and sharing. I remember my friends parents bought a 1975 Olds Cutlass and the first time we rode in it...what a pos. We took it out and tried to power brake it. Nothing. Really.... nothing. except some pinging.

Regards,

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 8:25 am 

Exactly.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 4:36 pm 

Arran wrote:
ggregg wrote:

There were Fury's, Monacos, Polaras, and at the time they made the movie, 1979-80 they were only a few years old. It would be like wrecking an 07 Ford Crown Victoria or a Chrysler 300. Watching the movie they weren't all totaled anyhow, and much of what they were using were probably mule cars from the junk yard, it was filmed with a fairly low budget so good running cars would have been out of their budget.
Best Regards
Arran

Many were worn out taxis, rentals, and police cars, there wasnt much left of them by 200K in those days.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2