Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 19, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tracking Cookies EI8 keep coming back no matter what! Ugh!
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 7:36 pm 

As soon as I clean it three cookies come back immediately (even though I have no browser open). I checked the web and found vague answers, but did put the sites associated with the cookies on my restricted list.

I clear my cookies manually all the time, with a small program called "No More Cookies". Anytime hit the icon in the tool bar to delete all the cookies not in the favorite list. Good enough, but three same cookies come back.

Two are tracking cookies but low risk I think, since none of the spyware scans flagged it?

The one that irks me is a property management company that I know, who does the HOA stuff in my neighborhood and dislike a lot. When you need them it's not their job. When they want to harass you they are good at that, while taking a chunk of money every month. I put their site in the EI8 restricted list. Still their cookie pops up immediately after cleaning, even though I had not visited the site or even had a EI8 browser open?

Is there a way to block the cookies with out running some processor intensive active spy-ware program. I do scans with AVG, Spy-Bot, Ad-Aware....... My computer is several years old and it just can't handle the active scanning with out bogging the computer down. I often use most of my CPU and Memory as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 7:48 pm 

Use your HOSTS file to redirect those cookie requests back home.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 7:58 pm 

GrayLox wrote:
Use your HOSTS file to redirect those cookie requests back home.

Oh Obi Wan Kenobi Please splane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 8:00 pm 

I'm using Firefox 3.0 now but I remember a few versions back they gave you an option to not allow a cookie to be reset once deleted. That was a nice feature but its gone from the newer versions.

Anyway gmc, I suspect those that are giving you problems are lodged in the machine somewhere. I have heard of a solution but since I have CRS I cannot recall what it was. I think the person found it lodged in the registry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 8:22 pm 

the HOSTS file can be used to map destinations of your browser. It is found in C:WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc There probably will not be an extension dispalyed. Right click it an open with notepad. You should see:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

Note "localhost" is given the default IP of 127.0.0.1

Using that address to redirect your browser requests will prevent them from ever reaching the intended destination, and they will stall out and die, basically. You'll never know, because this file is accessed by your browser in the background. Simply add the source of the cookies IP address as this:

127.0.0.1 www.badurlhere.com

In the sample open above, note the "#" signs. This allows a comment to be entered that the browser ignores. You can't use them in the line that you add to redirect.

The only thing I will say that you might need to remember, is that if you ever need those cookies, you will have to come back and edit this file to allow them again.

#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 www.badurlhere.com

There are other uses for the hosts file that are pretty handy. For instance, you can speed up browsing a bit as long as the IP stays the same for your destination site by adding them to the file. This negates the need for a DNS response. Of course, this only works as long as the website keeps the same IP, as in a static IP address. Most do, however.

Good explanation here:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Fri 26, 2010 8:49 pm 

Thanks Gents, Gary....

Yep I found the Host File with a bunch of extra redirects that Spybot (which is trusted) added. I could not add to the HOST list and save the file manually. So I went to Spybot; sure enough there was a EI tweak that had locked the Host file from any outside source (me) messing with it.

I unlocked the HOST file and added the sites of the three pesky cookies manually, saved it, and re-locked the HOST file. At least I feel better knowing they're being redirected if they do try and send info.

It angers me this property management company did this.... I tried to get on the site and it was: "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page". This is fine with me. I have no need to log onto their site.

The other one was "yieldmanager.com", and EI now says, "There is a problem with this web-site's security certificate". That is cool. The other site gives me a EI message, "Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to....", good!

I know the HOST file additions are working. Blocking or redirecting these sites might cause problems I guess for sites that use them, but we shall see. The cookies are still there but they can't contact my computer and are sent to 127.0.0.1 ..... Ha ha! Yea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 2:34 am 

Besides the browser cookies there are flash cookies as well. To see them (and turn them off for that matter) you have to go to Adobes site. See http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... tml#117118 You'd be surprised how many "flash" cookies you have; they are not controlled by the browser either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov Sat 27, 2010 12:08 pm 

Those Flash cookies can be removed real easy if you use Firefox. Just download the "Better Privacy" add on. When you close Firefox, it looks for those cookies and will remove them as it closes. It will even tell you how many it found as it does it.

I believe they are identified as LSO's. Locally Stored Objects.

Cheers, Bob