Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 21, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Uploading photos to a post
PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 2:15 am 
Site Admin

There have been at least five topics that have had complains about the ability to upload photos to a post. Let me say first, that this is AN OPTION. You are not required to use this feature to add an image to your post. You can still use the method used before of putting IMG tags around a link to where your photo resides on the web like this:

[img]http://some_domain.com/some_photo.jpg[/img]

For some reason, the script stopped being able to determine image sizes being uploaded. This has been fixed.
People complained that three images were not sufficient, you can now add five (cue the complaints that five isn't enough ...)
People complained about the image and file size restrictions. While they currently remain the same (800px by 800px and 256Kb max), you can add an image that is larger than that. However, instead on showing up inline, they will show up as a link to the image. That way oversize images won't force people to scroll if the image is too wide for their browser window and people with slow connections won't have to wait for large images to load ... unless they want to see the images, at which time they can click on the link. If this option isn't acceptable, then use the IMG tags instead.

Post subject: Re: Uploading photos to a post
PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 2:20 am 

Thanks for the image update Alan.

I had wondered how the images were being managed, now, knowing, I can plan on some posts with images as I once did.

Chas

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 2:35 am 

Alan, I have been using outside hosting all along. It works well. I don't think there is any problem with the way the forum handles pictures, but it may take a little time for everyone to adjust. They will.

Thanks for all your work. It's no small feat, and it should be recognized.

-.-. --- .-.. -.. / ---.. ----- --...

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 3:00 am 

"You can still use the method used before of putting IMG tags around a link to where your photo resides on the web"

The "Img" tags DO NOT Work for me. :(

When I click the img tag it puts 2!! tags up. (imgimg) with the curser blinking in the middle of them. When I paste the addy from the temp file, it puts the addy behind the 2nd img tag, NOT in between them!!

Hence the pic Does Not post :shock: I've also tried to put the img TAGS in front of the addy & after the addy, Still No pic posts.

I end up having to remove the img TAGS & just leave the addy for the lookers to click onto. I spent an hour trying to do this the other night. Very Frustrating.

This IS NOT, like the old system because there is No Gallery tag to use to post pics.

I was able to post photos TWO Different ways with the old, img-addy-img & with the Gallery tag, Thanks to GARY RABBIT who helped me when I joined the forum. With no ouside hosting needed.

I'm afraid a lot of other would be posters Have Not posted, or posted photos we'd all like to see, because of this new system.

Now even the veteran posters are having trouble let alone the newbies ARE Still lost.

I'm sure it's something I may be doing OR NOT doing, but there hasn't been ANY CLEAR Instructions posted since this New Change.

Respectfully,
Lloyd

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 3:43 am 

I just went back Again & tried Agian to paste the SMALL pic size addy in between the img tags *(img)(img)* I had to move curser out of in between the tags, then tried to put the curser in between them manually, got the temp file addy to post in between them after the 2nd try. Submitted the edit & It tells me it cannot determine picture size!! :roll:

Obviously to no avail it didn't take, even though the temporary file loaded it correctly when I added it on 6-14-11

Lloyd

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 4:01 am 

I am trying to load pics from photobucket, I am resize to 320 x 240 but it still won't let me show pics? Am i doing something wrong?
Rock

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 4:16 am 
Site Admin

Here is a photo uploaded to the post the new way:

Attachments:
addison.jpg
addison.jpg [ 46.46 KiB | Viewed 29219 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 4:18 am 
Site Admin

Here is the same image posted the old way:

Just type or copy and paste your link into your post, select it and hit the Img button above the text input window.

Linking to the gallery is on the to do list.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 4:22 am 

"Just type or copy and paste your link into your post, select it and hit the Img button above"

NOPE, that didn't work either.

Here's the topic, I've been trying to get the pics posted to for the last 4 DAYS!!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=167316&p=1385512#p1385512

Instructions?? Anyone? Anyone? :roll:

Lloyd

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 4:31 am 
Site Admin

OK. One more time.

To add a photo as they were done before. In the text input window you need to add the URL (aka web address) of the image you want to add and immediately before that you need to have [img] added. It can be upper case or lower case or any combination. Immediately after the address you need to have [/img] with no spaces between the tags and the address. That's it. You can type the tags in manually or you can put in the address first, select it and then hit the Img button above the text input window and they will be added automatically, or you can click on that button first and then type or paste the link in between. Just like before.

Like this: [img]http://some_domain.com/some_photo.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 4:38 am 
Site Admin

CrumblingWires wrote:
Here's the topic, I've been trying to get the pics posted to for the last 4 DAYS!!

The top link is to a page and not an image, hence can't be displayed as an image. You need to get the link to the image you want on that page.

The second link is to an image. I selected it, hit the Img button above the text input window and saved the post and it works.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 4:40 am 

Is there something I am missing, Alan? Earlier tonight I attempted to post a 640 X 480 pic in a thread, and got the warning about making them less than 800 wide. OK, so I went to 320 X 240. Same message. Dunno.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 4:49 am 

Ok went back, AGAIN had to move the curser out of in between [img][img] to paste addy in betwen them, submit edit, told me it cannot determine pic size!!

Went back & manually typed[img]pasted addy, manually typed[img] submitted edit, it took it but will not highlight it in red for lookers to even click on. :roll:

Alan, did you manually change the 2nd pic?

EDIT:
OK Alan, just went back & read your 2nd Quick post let me try to get a REAL addy, don't see why it still loaded in temp file that way though.

Lloyd

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 5:01 am 

Let me post a picture of my Corvair.

It still works as it did before. I use the "[img]...[/img]" tag and type it manually. Works every time (as long as I don't Fat Finger it :mrgreen: )

If you use the "Quote" function, you can see exactly what was in the thread that posted the picture.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 5:05 am 

That's what is puzzling to me.I posted a WTB add with PB pics inserted. They are plenty big, larger than I really wanted. I added a response to the thread, and tried to add the single pic I missed in the original and it won't let me post at all. Is it because the first ones are too large?

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 5:25 am 

I loaded up both those pics off e-bay of radios I bought, into my computer, both loaded well in temp file. Now I can't pull one of two off the temp file into the post. I even clicked on the pic,larger pic appeared,right click on that, hit "properties" gave me a real address to copy & paste. Still doesn't post the pic, only the address.

I'll try again later with something else. :roll:

Thank You for the Help Alan :) I feel Humbled & a Big Thank You goes out to YOU for keeping this forum up & running. Without this, 99.9% of us Would Really Be Lost :lol: This forum is more additive than the old radios themselves. :wink:

Famous words of Churchill "Don't Give Up-Don't Ever Give Up."
Lloyd

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 5:35 am 
Site Admin

CrumblingWires wrote:
Ok went back, AGAIN had to move the curser out of in between [img][img] to paste addy in betwen them, submit edit, told me it cannot determine pic size!!

Went back & manually typed[img]pasted addy, manually typed[img] submitted edit, it took it but will not highlight it in red for lookers to even click on. :roll:

Alan, did you manually change the 2nd pic?

EDIT:
OK Alan, just went back & read your 2nd Quick post let me try to get a REAL addy, don't see why it still loaded in temp file that way though.

Lloyd

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are doing wrong, perhaps no idea what you are doing at all.

If you use the Img tags, the script doesn't try to determine image size, it just converts the [img] tag to the HTMl equivalent of that so the browser can display it. If you have the image address copies, then all you have to do is either click the Img button and then paste (it puts both tags in the text with the cursor between them where the address goes) or else you can paste the address first, select it, and then click the Img button and it will add the tags at either end of the selected text.

What you have in your post now for the top image is the image address. By itself the forum script turns addresses into links. If you click on the link you will go to the image. That's not what you want, you want to have the image displayed in your post. Do this: Go to your post, click on "edit" and then select the image address. Once it is selected, click on the "Img" button just above the text input window. Click on "Submit" and your post will have that image displayed in it.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 5:45 am 

Alan,

I really don't know what you mean by "select" image address.

How do "I" *select* it? It's already there when I paste it. Do I highlite it in blue like I was going to copy it?

Lloyd

Last edited by CrumblingWires on Jun Sun 19, 2011 6:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 5:49 am 
Site Admin

Yes.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 19, 2011 6:02 am 

Wooooowww,

Select it means=Highlighting it in blue & click [img] at the top. :oops: See how basic the instructions have to be written before they are understood.

Man, never had to do THAT before with the img tags :shock:

"It Works-IT"S ALIVE!!" :lol:

Ok, check is in the mail. :wink:

Lloyd

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 239 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next