Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 6:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uploading photos to a post
PostPosted: Mar Mon 21, 2016 3:25 am 

If you're looking to add images to post, try imgur.com. You can upload multiple files at once into a single album as easy as drag-and-drop. If you have a smartphone, they have a companion app you can use for uploading. Free service, works great.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 26, 2016 5:30 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
I use the IMG codes included with links to Photobucket (free hosting site) to have my pictures appear in a PM. It's a quick and easy workaround.

I didn't know about that trick. I'll have to try it. Thanks Dave!

PostPosted: Mar Sun 27, 2016 4:07 pm 

I don't know if other image hosting sites have this convenient feature. In the case of Photobucket, you need to set up the types of links that you want listed under the thumbnail pictures. Use your account setup options in the "Albums" section. "IMG code" is one of the choices under "Links". Also, turn on the "Easy Linking Mode" to have the links appear under the thumbnail pictures. Then simply use your computer's copy/paste routine to add the image link(s) to your message. (Note that new members cannot use this method until 24 hours after their first post has been approved.)

Dave

PostPosted: Apr Fri 01, 2016 3:20 pm 

Here's a suggestion for those who use the "Upload attachment" utility for adding pictures. When posting multiple pictures of different items especially in the Classifieds, if your file name does not describe the photo, please use the "File comment" box to label the item. This will avoid confusion when trying to match up the images with a long list of items in the preceding text.

Example only:

Attachment:
File comment: Grundig FM Concert Boy 57 ---> $100 + shipping
Image 0001.jpg
Image 0001.jpg [ 89.18 KiB | Viewed 5716 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 4:44 pm 

I too have been unable to upload photos. Even one attached I was told the size was too large.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 7:45 pm 

Resize (scale) using any photo editor.
600 pixels max. on the longest side should keep you within th 256K file size limit

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 8:11 pm 

19&41 wrote:
I was all set to download Irfanview to allow deleting of the file data, but my online security suite waved me off it and blocked it's download attempt. I don't like to go against it, as it has been a very good suite for years now.
Most likely you tried to download it from its default host, which is CNET.

CNET is a huge spam / malware source.
They add their own stuff into files that they distribute, including Irfanview.

Download Irfanview from MajorGeeks to get the spam-free original.

There are two versions, 32- or 64-bit executables, with two files for each version:

32-bit version:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/irfanview.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... ugins.html

64-bit version:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... ew_64.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... ns_64.html

Install the program first, then the plugins.

I've used Irfanview for years on both windoze and Apple machines with nary a problem.
It's by far the best photo manipulation program I've ever encountered.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jun Wed 29, 2016 10:19 pm 

Leigh wrote:

CNET is a huge spam / malware source.

Boy ain't that the truth! Many eons ago I used to trust D/L from their site, but once the crap started, no more!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 30, 2016 3:28 am 

pixellany wrote:
Resize (scale) using any photo editor.
600 pixels max. on the longest side should keep you within th 256K file size limit
Actually, the maximum pixel size is 800 horizontal and vertical.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Thu 30, 2016 7:37 am 

I was under the impression that the "hard" limit was 256KBytes. My logic is that it is easy to stay in that limit if the resolution is kept under 600.
800 X 800 with no compression, and 24 bits per pixel, is almost 2,000 KBytes, and lots of compression is needed to get down to 256K. Something like 640x480 is much easier.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 30, 2016 12:57 pm 

I would rather see a picture larger than 640 x 480 on my computer screen even though the image might have some degree of compression in order to stay under 256 kb. People are free to post smaller pictures if they wish. I find it difficult to tell a compressed vs a non-compressed picture in most cases. If more detail is needed, an 800 pixel non-compressed image can be displayed by using an off-site photo-hosting service such as Photobucket or a similar website.

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2016 4:10 am 

I like 800 pixels for the long side.
Uploads every time, too.

If you use 'Save As' on a posted pic, you can save a copy, then zoom in to the saved pic to see the details, or crop and save a large cropped part of the pic. Largest is best for that.

For editing, I have been using PaintShopPro7 since back in the 90's, so have copied that program into 8 or 9 PC's, never had to pay a penny for it. But for a quick resize I use the program my Windows 10 machine insists on me using, Windows Paint, yuck.
Paint Shop always saves my last settings, so it is always ready to resize a pic to 800 pixels, 2 clicks.
Windows Paint is never ready, so I have to first choose Pixels and then type in the size, and ain't it annoying when precious seconds are wasted. :lol:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2016 8:47 am 

When I open a pic from my digital camera in Paint, the size is indicated at the bottom, and it's always 1600 x 1200, so it's a no-brainer to simply re-size to 50%, and reduce it down to 800 x 600. :wink:

PostPosted: Nov Fri 04, 2016 4:43 pm 

Re: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie ... 2&t=310151

sitn wrote:
pixellany wrote:
sitn wrote:
I am using an iPad
You can't [resize the picture] in an iPad, so use a regular computer or one of the on-line sites that have this service.
Thanks. I thought it might be something like that.

You can't do it on an iPad? I'm 99% sure that's nonsense. I don't have an iPad, but you're saying there are no photo editor apps for iPad? That's almost unbelievable.

I have an Android tablet (using it to write this), and I post pictures from it all the time. I use an app called PicsArt that I downloaded from the Google app store. There's a very good chance the same app is available in the Apple app store.

In PicsArt, on my tablet, one of the hardest things is just seeing how to open a photo the first time. That's pretty dumb for a photo editor IMO, but the whole app is designed for 13 year old girls, whose biggest concern is sending their friends pictures of themselves trying to apply lipstick. PicsArt refers to these photos as "art." So when you start up PicsArt, what you see is this confusing montage of stuff on screen that looks like you're supposed to create an account, friend some pop stars, and start blasting your "art" (photos of yourself trying on lipstick) to the whole world.

But ignore all that. Scroll down the page, and at the bottom are options for opening photos. You can open photos from the Gallery, or acquire them from the Camera, etc. Once you have opened a photo to edit, the basic editing features are found on the Tool menu. Each change you make with a Tool must be either accepted (by selecting the "✓" icon) or discarded (by selecting the "X" icon).

I follow 4 basic steps, in this order, to prepare a picture for ARF:
  • First, I adjust the exposure. For this, I use either the Curves tool or the Adjust tool, depending what I want to do. 90% of the time, photos are too dark to look optimal online. I usually bring up the shadows, increase the contrast, blah, blah, takes some fiddling. (In PicsArt, it's easy to make the photo look worse, and hard to make it look better, so you might choose to skip this step.)
  • Next, I usually choose the Crop tool, and crop the photo down to just the radio. Try to get rid of as much extraneous background clutter as possible.
  • Then, I choose the Resize tool, so I can see the dimensions of the cropped photo. If it's still bigger than ARF allows after cropping, I resize it so it's small enough, 800×800 or less.
  • Finally, I Save the edited image with a descriptive name. Save is not on the Tool menu. It's an icon on the other side of the screen that looks like an arrow pointing into a bucket.

And that's it. Then you can use the Upload attachment buttons on a regular post, to add pictures from your tablet!

Last edited by palegreenthumb on Nov Fri 04, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 04, 2016 4:50 pm 

With computers, I'm never sure of anything....

But I am 99% certain that my iPad will not scale / resize. It does do cropping and some other common adjustments. It also does not let you pick the JPEG quality level, which is one way to control file size.

I will be forever dependent on a full-function desktop computer with all the tools. Thankfully, transferring files is now easier than ever.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 04, 2016 4:57 pm 

Mark, you're probably using the default image viewer on your iPad.

The default image viewer on my Android tablet doesn't let me resize photos either.

Try downloading PicsArt or another photo editor. You may get a better result, after you get past the learning curve.

All the apps these days are designed for people speaking any language, who've never had a device with a "hard disk" in it, etc. The icons have all gotten obscure and non-intuitive. I usually just end up pressing buttons until I see something familiar-looking. If I never find a button where something familiar-looking shows up, I uninstall that app and try a different one.

PicsArt is a usable one I've found, except exposure adjustment is kinda crude. I'd rather do that on my desktop computer, where my tools are better.

Last edited by palegreenthumb on Nov Fri 04, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 04, 2016 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/image-s ... 66542?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simple- ... 76379?mt=8

Article about resizing photos on iPad: http://www.iosappweekly.com/resize-photos-iphone-ipad/

PostPosted: Nov Sun 20, 2016 11:22 pm 

what about the pix. in the files of ones computer? they can easly sent as an attachment to an e-mail ? vinn

PostPosted: Nov Mon 21, 2016 1:53 pm 

vinn5 wrote:
what about the pix. in the files of ones computer? they can easly sent as an attachment to an e-mail ? vinn
Yes, but here we are talking about having the pictures show up in posts so everyone can see them. When I save my radio pictures to my computer, I re-size them according to the forum's 800 x 800 pixel and 256 kb size restrictions so that they can be easily accessed and uploaded when wanted.

Dave

PostPosted: Nov Mon 21, 2016 3:07 pm 

vinn5 wrote:

I don't understand the question.....normally ANY file in your computer can be sent as an e-mail attachment, but some systems have file size limits.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 251 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next