Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: John Deere 14PB walk behind mower question
PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 6:16 pm 
Silent Key

Does any one know how the clutch works for the blade. I cannot get my clutch to disengage for easier starting. Thanks. I just got a good one for $20 with the above problem. It starts okay with the blade engaged but would be easier with it not engaged.

Post subject: Re: John Deere 14PB walk behind mower question
PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 9:08 pm 

If the 14PB has the same set-up as my 14SB, the adjustment for the blade clutch is the cable and spring arrangement on top of the deck by the left side of the engine. With the blade clutch released, the blade clutch arm (extends from underneath the engine) should be all the way forward, and the spring on the end of the cable should have some slack (spring hook loose in clutch arm hole). Cable adjustment should be obvious, by loosening one nut and tightening the other.

The blade clutch control on the handle may have broken (a common occurrence) and the former owner may have tightened the cable to be able to use the mower. I bought an exact replacement for the control on my mower from “All Mower Parts” in West Palm Beach, FL. They have a web site with a parts break-down for most mowers, but I had to ask a customer rep to email a more detailed diagram of my mower to get the right part. They were good people to deal with and no problem returning the wrong part that I ordered (my fault).

http://www.allmowerparts.com/

If the blade clutch problem is internal (other than the cable adjustment), I don’t have a clue but the folks at All Mower Parts should be able to help you. Be prepared to pay more for John Deere parts than the $20 you paid for the mower! Those mowers were in the $600-700 range when new.

Edit: If you decide to take apart the blade clutch control that is mounted on the handle; be prepared to catch the small bits that will come flying out. I’m not sure I ever found all the parts of mine that flew to far corners of the garage.

Post subject: Re: John Deere 14PB walk behind mower question
PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 10:21 pm 
Silent Key

I adjusted the two nuts/bolts as far as they go either way. No change. The blade continues to turn. I do not care if it turns all the time but I just like to fix things if I can. I sprayed oil on the clutch underneath also. Thanks.