Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 29, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need ID help AM FM Car Radio Buick (?) 66
PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2011 2:27 am 

The number originally started with 729 and could not make out the rest.

It looks like the Buick or Riviera radio for 66 with a similar bezel however it does not have the multiplex socket. It is not stero and has a fader. Also the antenna trimmer is above the the tuner control. Checked with MAG and still could make no sense of what it fits.

Anyway here is a picture.

Thanks

billn

Post subject: Re: Need ID help AM FM Car Radio Buick (?) 66
PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2011 2:46 pm 

Are you sure this a factory radio? Has the cheesy look of aftermarket.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2011 3:08 pm 

I have a '66 Full size Chevy AM/FM that has a similar sloped bezel but isn't same(it does have the MPX socket)...

It's defiantly mid '60s GM and probably Buick, but just what model I dunnno...

Tom

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2011 3:20 pm 

It has a Delco sticker on it that's obliterated. It started with 729---

Hoping someone will be able to identify it.

MAG mentioned it may be Canadian.

billn

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2011 8:13 pm 

I can't see the rest of it. Not seeing Delco one the dial plate.

Dale

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2011 11:31 pm 

had four '66 Wildcats years ago. That's a DELCO.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2011 2:47 am 

That's a Delco radio. Did Buick have a multiplex adapter like Chevrolet did for '65-'66? My experience in those years was with Chevys and Pontiacs. While Chevy had Stereo, Pontiac did not until 1967 in the full size cars.

While we are at it, here's a trick if you have a '65 or '66 full size Pontiac. The '67 and '68 full size radios will fit in the earlier car dash with no
alterations. The only problem is that at the top there is a slot for a chrome decorative bar on the AM equipped cars while the AM-FM cars had the slide bar for band selection there. To fill the hole, take a face plate from a 65 or 66 AM radio and swap it with the 67-68 face plate.

The 67-68 radios facilitated band change by the first and fifth selector buttons. AM on the left. FM on the right. Dial was a rotating dial, no clearance problems as the radio used the same case. Dial color is the same also unlike 1969 that went to a charcoal-black shade.

I did this to my '66 2+2 in 1971. The factory AM FM smoked one morning on the way to work at a Pontiac dealership. It would have cost me almost the same to fix it as the AM-FM Stereo kit from the '68 I bought from Pontiac Motor Division (back when they ran their own parts warehouse on Columbia and Joslyn Avenues in Pontiac Michigan) as a warehouse cleanout sale.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2011 8:55 pm 

That radio looks very much like that in the '67 Buick Riviera, except for the knobs. In '66, as asked in the O.P., the knobs might be correct. It could be from a '66 Buick. The curvature of the dial face looks about right, too.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2011 2:12 am 

Curiosity got the best of me. Last night I went thru my original Delco manuals. I do not have the 1966 model year handbook, but I do have the 1967. This is most definitely a Buick Riviera radio. It looked just like the one pictured in the '67. So this is either a '66 or a '67 model.

If it still has the original DELCO output transistor mounted on the heatsink on the side of the case....what are the numbers. It should be a Delco DS-501 with a date code below it. This would tell the model year based on the week/year of the transistor.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2011 2:27 am 

First off, this is definitely a Delco AM/FM set, and it certainly looks like it fits a Buick Riviera.

Some Delco radios were AM/FM mono. Others were "Stereo ready" with a DIN-type connector for the multiplex unit, and if the multiplexer isn't there, a dummy plug is installed. However you seem to be in doubt of its authenticity because of no dummy plug -- forget it; there WERE AM/FM mono radios. Believe me, I see plenty of both.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2011 2:57 am 

Dr. Radio wrote:
Curiosity got the best of me. Last night I went thru my original Delco manuals. I do not have the 1966 model year handbook, but I do have the 1967. This is most definitely a Buick Riviera radio. It looked just like the one pictured in the '67. So this is either a '66 or a '67 model.

If it still has the original DELCO output transistor mounted on the heatsink on the side of the case....what are the numbers. It should be a Delco DS-501 with a date code below it. This would tell the model year based on the week/year of the transistor.

Unless the knobs have been changed, it would have to be a '66 because the knobs on the '67 are very different. All chrome and more rounder. Hard to describe, but very different from those knobs.
Mark D.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2011 3:41 pm 

Thanks Mark;

Your response seems most cogent.

Incidentally the original DS501 has the numbers ( a small 6 and then 603).

So as you suggest a 66 Riviera radio?

For all those who chimed in thanks too.

billn