Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 19, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help from the 66 Mustang Pros re: 8 Track T6SMZ
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 2:45 am 

My client says his 66 is original and upon pulling out the 6TPZ am radio the 8 Track will not fit the slot the am radio came out of. Did the 8 track option come with a different size opening? And what needs to happen if that was the case and what has to happen for it to fit the present opening? Modification of the dash?

Trying to help him with this.

Thanks

bill

Post subject: Re: Need help from the 66 Mustang Pros re: 8 Track T6SMZ
PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 3:36 am 

It's been a very long time since I installed one but as I recollect it's not a direct drop-in fit, the dash opening needs to be enlarged. The 8 track combo is considerably larger than the standard radio. Personally, I wouldn't bother. 8 track was a bad idea from the start and well deserved to die the ignoble death that it did.

Standard:

8-track:

Larry

PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 12:10 pm 

The 1966 Thunderbird offered an AM/8-track stereo. This option required a different dash opening, which plays havoc with collectors because many want to replace this piece of junk with either an AM/FM radio or an aftermarket stereo, and they don't fit. In fact, manufacturers such as Custom Autosound have notations in their application charts that specifically exclude the 66 T-Bird if equipped with the tape player.

As for the 66 Mustang, I've never seen such a notation, so one can ASSUME the tape player uses the same dash opening as the other radios. But the word of the day is "Assume." Apparently this is not the case. Custom Autosound offers a reproduction AM/FM radio specifically for the 66 Mustang; will this fit a car originally equipped with an 8-track player without leaving gaping holes? I've never heard of the problem, but it would be good to know if this is indeed the case.

As for installing an 8-track in place of another radio, if there's a dash modification I'd stop right there. Back in the day the "Stereosonic Tape Player" was an exciting new product, but in reality it's junk. Audio quality isn't that great, and the AM radio in this Bendix unit is a step down from the pushbutton radios otherwise offered in the car (6TPZ, 6TMZ, 6TBZ).

PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 1:49 pm 

Larry is correct that the dash needs to be modified to install an AM/8 track in a Mustang. Look closely at the pictures he posted. In the one with the original AM/FM radio the knobs are above the crease line in the dash and for the AM/8 track they are below. Since new holes needed to be drilled for the 8 track, they supplied the shown bezel to cover the original holes. Unfortunately to go back to a regular AM or AM/FM radio you would need to fix the drilled holes.

Because the centerline of the knobs on the Mustang radio are positioned so high most after market radios never fit without cutting the dash so many Mustang (and Falcon/Comet) dashes were cut so patch panels are available, or since the Falcon/Comet dash steel is identical you can get patches from them. Nowadays correct fitting aftermarket radios are available.

Darryl

PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 4:08 pm 

Also note the dial of the 8 track unit is lower on the dash than the row of push buttons on the standard radio. If you look you'll see the slot for the 8 track player lines up with the dial of the standard radio. As I recollect it was necessary to enlarge the main hole as well as deal with the shaft holes.

Larry

PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 4:31 pm 

It's been many years since I did one of these as well but I'm positive you are correct Larry that the opening needs to be enlarged as well. Unless someone is absolutely in love with the AM/8 track option, I would sure steer them away from cutting the dash.

Also keep in mind that since the 8 track was stereo, Ford cut holes in the lower steel portion of the front doors to mount the speakers. This metal has the pressed in wrinkled finish right in the steel and there is virtually no way to repair this. You could go with a modern stereo speaker that fits in the original dash opening, but to be correct you should have the door speakers.

Here is a reprint someone is selling of the installation instructions:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-66-FORD-MUSTANG-AM-8-TRACK-RADIO-OEM-DIAGRAM-MANUAL-/150493207563?hash=item230a181c0b&item=150493207563&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Darryl

PostPosted: Aug Sun 26, 2012 4:44 pm 

Here ya go, 8 track hole.

Larry