Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 18, 2018 3:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How about a "Listening Post" category in the forum?
PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 3:18 am 

I know new category suggestions for the forum are about like washing your cat in the sink, but I thought I would throw this one out :-)

In this category, we could have discussions about what we listen to on short wave, dx'ing maybe, interesting international broadcasts, pirate radio, etc. and the thought is drive interest to our radios through what content we can pick up thru them... Maybe SWL is too narrow and you could expand to am & fm too. Maybe call it Broadcast Talk or something...

Anyhow, just a thought, here comes the cat...

Last edited by KR on Oct Tue 30, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: How about a "Short Wave Listening" category in the forum
PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 3:10 pm 

I'd like that. But maybe broaden it to listening in general or DXing with different types of vintage radios on different bands, BC band included. For example, what can you pull in with a TRF at night (I know, I know, not enough selectivity...)?

Tom

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 3:19 pm 

Why not just start your shortwave listening or DX-ing threads right here in the clubhouse?

I have a feeling you could have some initial participation in each area, but not nearly enough to be worthy of their own forum.

Example: The OTR forum here on ARF has been around a long time, but even that one has less than 3,000 total posts in six years. That's less than two posts/day over that period. I can't imagine an SWL or DX forum doing even that well here over the long run.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 3:26 pm 

well the reason not to put SWL threads in the clubhouse would be hard to find, and they would dwindle because of that... also the search engine function from what i have seen lately is pretty useless.

a dedicated category would be one stop shopping. what would be interesting is to show the posting volume on all categories in the forum, maybe some, like you said, are rarely touched.

but the overall thought would be: allright, we have all these great radios, from 1929 to the year 2000, what are we picking up with them, what are we hearing? what programming is good? etc

for example, i heard pirate radio boston this weekend around 6950 or so on USB, but it was a replay of an older broadcast, not a live broadcast. sounded good, though.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 3:58 pm 

Unfortunately, SWBC is dying. Many of the "good old stations" have shut down their
SW broadcasts. About all that's left are the religious broadcasters. Not my cup of tea!

73, Roger

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 5:41 pm 

I do a lot of SWL too and like the idea of a having a place to post about unusual finds or conditions.

Probably old hat to most of you, but I recently installed a free application to receive Digital SSTV. Pretty cool to receive pictures via shortwave...

Right now I am listening to Hurricane Net on 14325 USB.

Frank

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 5:48 pm 

There is some SW broadcasting left to discover. It isn't like the old cold war days, but there are few countries still hanging in there. Besides targeted international broadcasts, many countries still rely on
SW for limited coverage within their borders. It will be a sad day when AM leaves the HF and MF bands.

Pete

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 6:35 pm 

It would be nice to have a 'Resource' that allows us to share information on good stations that we find, either SW or BC - I'm not sure if a Forum is the best way to achieve that goal - maybe something more like a database that we can all contribute to. If we can have lists of parts suppliers, I think it should be possible to have lists of radio stations still worth listening to and some details.

I still get a kick out of listening to external radio stations near and far, and I think I must be in an area which is better served than many, but it is often a case of happy accident when I stumble across something. Knowing that the station is 'there somewhere' is the key to finding it, and I would prefer to be searching for something specific rather than just hoping to find something.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 6:48 pm 

I suppose anyone at any time could take it upon themselves to post the equivalent of "This Month's Finds and Losses for (fill in the month)" for SW stations and those who are interested could join in just as they do for that thread.

Perhaps "This Month's Finds for SW Stations for (fill in the month)"?

It could include commercial, amateur, commercial aviation, military aviation, AM, FM, SSB and even DRM.

Anyone that wanted to do so could use this information to build their own database of frequencies, content and time of day.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 7:52 pm 

You people do already realize there are established SWL and DXing forums on the internet, don't you?

Adding one more will just dilute them further, and they are already suffering for participation.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 8:08 pm 

wiscojim wrote:
You people do already realize there are established SWL and DXing forums on the internet, don't you?

Adding one more will just dilute them further, and they are already suffering for participation.

Maybe just a case of semantics, but the OP (after some feedback) was asking for a general radio listening sub-forum on ARF. Like the OP, I think the group we have here would outshine any of the other SWL listening forums out there.
I also agree another sub-forum is not a good idea.

The suggestion I like a lot is a monthly thread in the Clubhouse, just need to come up with a good name :D

Frank

Frank

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 8:24 pm 

fvan wrote:
wiscojim wrote:

Maybe just a case of semantics, but the OP (after some feedback) was asking for a general radio listening sub-forum on ARF. Like the OP, I think the group we have here would outshine any of the other SWL listening forums out there.
I also agree another sub-forum is not a good idea.

The suggestion I like a lot is a monthly thread in the Clubhouse, just need to come up with a good name :D

Frank

Frank

How about Short Wave Revival??

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 8:40 pm 

I would not limit it to Shortwave.

Besides Shortwave and AM DX'ers, we have beacon hunters on LW , VHF and UHF listeners , as well as broadcast FM fans.

I think a listening thread would involve antenna discussion as well, which was a question that came up recently too.

Would be nice to have a place to discuss listening and antennas, they go hand in hand.

Frank

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 9:06 pm 

I would also be interested in a DX category. I still roam the bands looking for something I like, and find a few things every time. I'm also a POP COM subscriber, and like Pete's columns, which are informative and very interesting.
Going to fire up an old tube-type FM receiver tonight during the hurricane to see if I can find a duct, or some weird skip.
Kevin

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 9:35 pm 

thanks for the tip on the hurricane frequency, i am listening to that right now...

maybe the category name would be "Radio Listening" or just "Listening"...

anyhow, just a thought, not sure how it would be decided. would we need a poll and have like a 200 member petition?

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 9:50 pm 

KR wrote:
thanks for the tip on the hurricane frequency, i am listening to that right now...

maybe the category name would be "Radio Listening" or just "Listening"...

anyhow, just a thought, not sure how it would be decided. would we need a poll and have like a 200 member petition?

Do do a monthly thread I think it just requires someone to take it on. A sub forum would be up to the Admin to yay or nay.

Frank

Listening in (fill in month) would work for me.

And we can also "see" things on SW, I got this image this morning on 14233 USB using free EasyPal software.

Attachments:
121029140931-Clip.jpg
121029140931-Clip.jpg [ 124.88 KiB | Viewed 3581 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 10:18 pm 

Join one of the SWL forums, there are some real serious people in a few and some real bozos in others....pick your comfort zone :wink:

Or do as the hams do with Internet alert web sites
http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan ... &HF=S&GL=N

Adding more of a load to ARF is not the way to go unless you like crashes.

Carl

PostPosted: Oct Mon 29, 2012 10:29 pm 

Burnt Fingers wrote:
Adding more of a load to ARF is not the way to go unless you like crashes.

Carl

I don't get it, listening is part of the radio hobby. What makes you think this would create "more load" than any other subject we discuss. Sounds a bit like NIMBY Carl?

But then... I don't have almost 13000 posts, so what do I know about creating a load :D :D

Frank

PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2012 4:02 am 

Call it The Listening Post + [month].

Scott Todd

PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2012 5:58 am 

Sounds reasonable. After all, the radios aren't just shelf queens. :D

All we need is a "listening" sub-forum, by whatever title.
Under that, individuals can start threads by month or interest or whatever, without bothering
the mods.

- Leigh

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next