Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 24, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: The Listening Post
PostPosted: Oct Tue 30, 2012 11:20 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
This thread is started as a test run in response to this thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=207476. This thread is for discussion about "listening", and the equipment that was used to rec'v your DX stations. There are no restrictions on bands or types of radio sets. Keep it civilised please.

Basic guidelines for this threads :

No CB or ham radio discussion, discussions should be limited to general broadcasting on LW/BC/MW/SW/FM stations.

John Bartley

Post subject: Re: The Listening Post
PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 2:18 am 

Guys, let me know if you hear some good (or any) pirate radio on SW some nights.. Seems like weekends are better times to catch it, thanks!

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 2:29 am 

Thanks, John, but I believe we had envisioned a sub-forum, like the Clubhouse, rather than a thread.

This is a very complex subject that would rapidly overwhelm a single thread with multiple conversations.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 2:50 am 

Where can I download current or past Arnie Cora shows?

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 3:48 am 

I would also love to know more about pirate radio stations and what frequencies I can hear them on.

I'm currently checking out old recordings from the early 90s from the CB radio back when it was much like an internet chat room. Lots of fighting yes, but also a lot of conversations between what sound like young people. Very interesting how casual CB radio use was and how the world has changed.

Currently waiting for some help with a frequency counter so I can fix up my newly found Cobra 134 and hopefully I can get it to go up to Channel 38 to do some skip talking. Lots of california and florida in my part of the world coming through that channel in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 4:01 am 

So this thread is about DXing and what radio's were used.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 11:10 am 

Leigh wrote:
Thanks, John, but I believe we had envisioned a sub-forum, like the Clubhouse, rather than a thread.

This is a very complex subject that would rapidly overwhelm a single thread with multiple conversations.

- Leigh

This thread is in response to the thread that asked for a new subforum dedicated to DX'g. Instead of just creating a new subforum, we're starting this thread first to see how much traffic there is, and what sort of responses we get, and how much moderation this will require.

As far as what may be posted here .... this thread is about what you hear when you're listening for long distance stuff - SW - AM - also FM, but it's not about local stuff - it's about pulling in the hard to hear stations, the ones you have to dig for.

John

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 3:45 pm 

schweet! so what are the rules? I skimmed thru the other thread yesterday but I slept last night and forgot most of it. What's the newest radio we can use, again? (since this is an "antique" forum...) :mrgreen: Does my ~25 yr old R-2K count? :twisted: I know you said no restrictions on type, but didn't know if there was a line in the sand or anything WRT age. A lot of times I will use the R-2K to see what I can get and then try the same on the 5R10A, on the same antenna.... lots of differences.

Just the other night from my QTH in EM26 (NE Oklahoma) I was getting MW BC stations from Ft. Dodge IA, Denver, Charlotte NC, WSM in Nashville, and most nights I can get WBBM/WLS in CHI, DFW, STL, KC, HOU, and (bah) the big one in NOLA who's designation escapes me right now. Occasionally I've pulled in Detroit and Ohio.... This is on about a 100' E-W long wire at ~6' high (I know) outside with a 'lowbander' balun, on the R-2K.

The only thing I don't like about the R-2K is since the tuner is digital and not very "fine" its real difficult to pick stuff out of a crowded band. A lot of times on the 5R10A I can "open it up" with the bandspread and cut thru the noise. its a toss up.

And post photos of your listening posts!

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 3:45 pm 

I suspect this could also provide information for those who have fixed a radio and are wondering where and when they might tune to be sure their radio actually picks up real stations on short wave.

For example, even though its not DX (depending on your definition), WWCR Nashville on 4840 kHz from 0000 UTC until 1200 UTC daily, or 11175 kHz Upper Side Band US Air Force Emergency Action Message frequency with other communications at any time. It might also be worth posting various common Amateur AM frequencies that vintage SW radios could tune to such as 3875 KHz in the evenings.

I suspect there are those around here who don't even realize there are WWV and WWVH time signal and propagation information transmissions on 2.5, 5, 10, and 15 MHz (with WWV also on 20 MHz).

Of course then there are Numbers Stations and various pirate radio stations.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 4:17 pm 

Some know this, I didn't until last year. There are two great publications that deal with this topic. Popular Communications and Monitoring Times. They cover shortwave, radio receiving equipment, and background stories about the broadcasting business. Popular Communications also has articles on radio restorations.

So if you have not heard of these two publications, check them out. It's really increased my knowledge base and interest in what these radios can do, and what there is to search for on the bands.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 4:20 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
You guys might be interested in subscribing to the milcom email group.
http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/milcom
These are guys that are really serious about monitoring military communications
on both the SW bands and the UHF areo bands.
they hear some really interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 4:34 pm 

+1 for MT magazine. Lots of interesting stuff, especially if you're a scanner junkie. Great SWL directory each month. They've got an antique/restoration section in the back of each issue as well.

subscribed to that milcom list (and a few others on there!) and looking at Pop. Comm....

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 4:42 pm 

try 4840 on weekday nights at 10 ET and get your alex jones fix! if something happens on this planet, alex can figure out a conspiracy on it!

the other guy i miss on the radio now ( i think he is no longer on it), is The Fugitive! man, those were awesome shows!

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-last-voice- ... 58404.html

i also used to listen to the House of Slack on WBCQ on 7490, but i dont think it's there anymore.

as you can see, all i like to listen to is the crazy stuff on shortwave, i am sure i have missed its heyday, though!

let me know if there is any more crazy stuff out there, i hope so!

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 5:45 pm 

I live in a fairly remote location when it comes to AM reception, nothing during daylight hours. I use an Eton E1 and a PixelPro1B magnetic loop.

Then as the sun sets my MW starts to come alive. For a few hours after sundown I get a small 10000 watt Spanish language station from Brigham City Utah, KXOL "La Favorita". That is 800 miles as the crow flies..I enjoy the music, very little talk. (Daytime power is 10000 watts, I am not sure when they switch to 1000 watts night time) I get it later in the evening as well.

Last night late I managed to catch XEPE AM 10000 watts from Tijuana Mexico on 1700, that is 1290 miles.

I use http://www.fmscan.org/ to track down the signals I am picking up.

Tomorrow I will fire up my 1934 DeForest Crosley Wales and see what a long wire will get me compared to the Eton. I haven't fired it up at my new location here yet.

Shortwave reception here is awesome, but that's a story for another time.

Frank

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 6:05 pm 

Mike Toon wrote:

Mike, is He the guy from Cuba ? If so you can write directly to him C/O Havanna Radio Cuba.
Dan

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 6:10 pm 

panther wrote:
Mike Toon wrote:

Mike, is He the guy from Cuba ? If so you can write directly to him C/O Havanna Radio Cuba.
Dan

I get periodic letters from Him, at Holidays etc. cards, photos, with of course a letter from the President. It's really neat to get the envelopes made from very rough paper, no glitter there at all, just bare bones necessity. Unbleached paper etc.

Dan

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 7:16 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Leigh wrote:

- Leigh

... this thread is about what you hear when you're listening for long distance stuff - SW - AM - also FM, but it's not about local stuff - it's about pulling in the hard to hear stations, the ones you have to dig for.

John

Well In my opinion this should be for more than just DX. There's lots of interesting things to find on local radio as well including small community shows and such. Not to mention small community stations.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 9:32 pm 

This seems like a very good idea. 17 posts and I have already got at least five NBS (Never Before Seen) tips. Thanks.

Bill

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 10:13 pm 

tube42 wrote:
Well In my opinion this should be for more than just DX. There's lots of interesting things to find on local radio as well including small community shows and such. Not to mention small community stations.

I don't think we'll object too much, as long as the stuff that's posted is the kind of stuff that someone else would try to tune in from a distance - ie: interesting stuff.

But .... the focus is DX. And .... CB is not eligible, as it is not something that the average DX'r would be tuning for.

John

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 10:17 pm 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
Why not have "sticky" threads in the LISTENING POST forum
for BCB DXing, SW DXing, Utility DXing, etc.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1257 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 63  Next