Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 23, 2018 5:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Listening Post
PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 10:35 pm 

Ron in Radio Heaven wrote:
Why not have "sticky" threads in the LISTENING POST forum for BCB DXing, SW DXing, Utility DXing, etc.
Isn't there a saying about the camel's nose getting under the tent, then... :D

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 10:35 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Ron in Radio Heaven wrote:
Why not have "sticky" threads in the LISTENING POST forum
for BCB DXing, SW DXing, Utility DXing, etc.

Ron,

What we're doing with this thread is testing the waters. We'll see what level of interest exists after some time (weeks? months?) and then we'll decide if there will be enough ongoing interest to create a new forum. If we do create a new forum, we'll get input on how to construct and regulate it.

John

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 10:48 pm 

This is one of the ham radio spotting networks that covers the world and covers MF (160M) to UHF. There will likely be very little AM spotting but in the US 160, 75, 40 are quite active as well as some other bands at times.

http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php

The various SWL forums give fairly updated reports, usually weekly and often realtime for rare ones.

DXing non directional beacons (NDB's) below the BCB is a rapidly growing part of the hobby, some 30's radio's covered part of that spectrum as do many WW2 radios.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-directional_beacon
http://www.ndblist.info/
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm
DXing the LW BCB can be a real challenge but we are entering the winter season where it will be the easiest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwave

I dont see this thread to be of much use for actual reports but a good place to point to and meet others into those activities.
Perhaps the links above will be compiled in a sticky along with others rather than having a running and never ending list on here of every little thing heard :(

Carl

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 10:49 pm 

Well it gets a thumbs-up from me anyway - I hope to be a regular visitor. Since we're all spread out geographically, one person's local station is another's distant station as far as BC goes so I agree that we should not let that be a restriction. I see it first and foremost as a resource to help find 'stuff worth listening to' and share what we in turn have found.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 11:02 pm 

I was starting to believe all the talk about that there is nothing on AM or SW anymore.

Granted, the power house international broadcasters are mostly gone, but try hooking up a good antenna and getting the interference and noise levels under control and there are stations everywhere!!! I was lucky in that my move solved my antenna and noise problems.

The hobby has also changed in that we now look up our SW schedules on the net instead of in a book. (explains the passing of Passport). The site I use is smart enough to estimate conditions at my receiving location and then suggest what I might be able to hear. If you haven't tried http://www.short-wave.info/index.php check it out, you may be amazed what is still out there.

You could also find, that when it comes to AM on SW, your old 1933 Marconi set will sound a lot better than your fancy transistorized communications receiver! Then just close your eyes and try to imagine the historic moments that passed through this radio.

Frank

PostPosted: Oct Wed 31, 2012 11:55 pm 

Frank hit the nail on the head. A Listening Post room would certainly be a powerful antidote to the prevailing notion that there is nothing worth listening to on AM or SW. Sign me up. This will help us realize all that is out there to listen to. With the big international broadcasters disappearing one by one, we need something like this to keep the SWL hobby alive.

Joe Connor

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 12:24 am 

Pirate @ 6925 usb 7pm to 7:17 pm
..playing big band ( benny goodman?)
Very weak fades some moments fair.
Radio shack dx 394 70 ft magnet wire

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 12:50 am 

I don't sleep well, haven't for years, so at night I keep a radio by the bed with an earphone plugged in. I have the FM band set for CBC Radio One, and when I'm not tuning thru' the bands, my favourite AM BCB station is 640AM from Toronto. Unusual? I live eight hours drive straight north from Toronto. I also used to listen to Milt Rosenberg on Extension 720 (WGN). It comes in as clear as Toronto. I haven't heard Milt on the air recently.

Radios : I started with a Grundig YB400PE, and a few years ago I changed that to a Sangean ATS909W

John

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 1:11 am 

Awesome thread. :) Already some great info to scope out. I finally got a long wire up at my new place. No more trying to hide a wire from the landlords. She is 70' long and 30' up and all the utilities are underground around here. :) Bought an Icom R75 two years ago and now I have a chance to see what she can do with a half a**sed antenna. The combo really pulls in the hams on 20 and 40 from Florida to Alaska. Can't wait for winter time to renew the DX hobby from 40 years ago while I mess with the project radios. Love to listen to the conspiracy theory dudes,always good for a laugh. And Arne from Radio Havana is always good for a listen.

Sure hope the listening post works out...will have my ears on. :)

Icom R-75
70' long wire
Icom SP-23 speaker
hallicrafters S-77A
Rat shack DX-302

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 2:47 am 

Can I use my RBC battleship radio from the second war. At one time we had a shortwave reception night that was interesting untill the trouble makers took over. Then it was moved around a few times. I don`t think it was ever really moderated.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 3:03 am 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
Rodney wrote:
Can I use my RBC battleship radio from the second war.

Your RBC receiver tunes 4mc-27mc, you should be able to
pickup a lot of shortwave in that range.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 3:17 am 

Burnt Fingers wrote:
rather than having a running and never ending list on here of every little thing heard :(

Then what would be the point of this thread? I thought it was to discuss what we do hear.
fvan wrote:

Granted, the power house international broadcasters are mostly gone, but try hooking up a good antenna and getting the interference and noise levels under control and there are stations everywhere!!!

I found out an excellent way to totally reduce interference and noise levels, when the power to our house went out one afternoon. My battery powered Philco farm radio was picking up signals across the band with total clarity, many of which I could previously receive only at night, and the rest of which I never got at all, lol!

And I would suggest, AFA BCB DXing, that although it's satisfying to receive a blowtorch 1500 miles away, the real challenge is getting the lower powered locals, 500-1000 watts, at least 250 miles distant.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 3:23 am 

Rodney wrote:
Can I use my RBC battleship radio from the second war. At one time we had a shortwave reception night that was interesting untill the trouble makers took over. Then it was moved around a few times. I don`t think it was ever really moderated.

Yup, you can use anything that will receive a general broadcast - crystal set, transistor, boat anchor, ... whatever.

John

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 3:33 am 

davep wrote:
Pirate @ 6925 usb 7pm to 7:17 pm
..playing big band ( benny goodman?)
Very weak fades some moments fair.
Radio shack dx 394 70 ft magnet wire
He's still around and identifying himself as VE7TSM then uses phoentics as Victor Echo Seven Too Smart Monkey (at least I think that is what he said, the audio is hard to understand).

Actually VE7TSM is a legitimate call sign, but I doubt that is who it is.

Curtis Eickerman

Last edited by Eickerman on Nov Thu 01, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 4:58 am 

Perhaps we could start 'sub-forums' - HF broadcast DX, BC Band DX, LF DX, Utilities.

I'll start off with an HF Broadcast DX today 1st November UTC...

Radio Croatia, 7375kHz 0330 and still S5 at 0345UTC on my re-aligned Kenwood R2000 that I bought new in 1982 - that's 30years old - veteran, vintage, antique?

Also the Voice of Greece on 7475kHz 0400z S6 on the R2000 but also reasonably loud and clear on the Pye PE80, much older, 1953 so that's 59years old, just on a bit wire out of the ground floor window!! Playing some nice laid back jazz now, I guess the sun is over the yardarm somewhere, may have to pour something cool - just like the music! Oh, dear, even better, "Begin the Beguine" (Sp?)

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 6:39 am 

Quote:

But .... the focus is DX. And .... CB is not eligible, as it is not something that the average DX'r would be tuning for.

John

Aww well that sucks. :cry: I thought this would be a bit more broad banded (pun not intended) for all kinds of radio listening. There's all kinds of areas and categories in radio listening.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 7:30 am 

I don't think the term average applies very well to the membership here. We seem to be all over the park on a lot of interests and opinions. Maybe that's why it's hard to containerize our topics into tidy little segments. Even just the lone aspect of "listening" takes on so many permutations that entire forums are dedicated to just that "sub-topic" of radios in general.

Those DX radio-listening chats we used to share sure were fun. It sure kept a few of us running between the listening post in the shack and hurrying back to the "confuser" to type in what was just received, LOL.

-Ed

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 3:27 pm 

think this is a good idea.i do alot of DXing and use several different radios.have a chart I keep with the frequencies and times I hear a station and then see if all 5 of the radios can pick the station up. gets interesting some nights and spend hours listening especially this time of year when reception gets better.fun keeping a log of what you hear and when.i use a speadsheet I made up and keep it updated.hope this thread continues.it has my vote.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 3:38 pm 

Will definitely be a good thread.

Here lately I have been using my BC-455A receiver to see what all I can receive with it.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 01, 2012 7:14 pm 

re: Arnie Coro.
Transcripts of some oldies here:
http://www.radiohc.org/Distributions/arnie.html
Some newer ones here:
http://www.dxers-unlimited.dxer.info/index.htm

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1395 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next