Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 19, 2018 4:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Heathkit - Is this for real?
PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2015 4:14 am 

My issue with heathkit is their prices. No matter what job I had, their prices over the years were too much for me. I could buy something already built for the same price or even less.

If they ever do come back I bet their prices will still be more than I want to pay for a kit.

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2015 5:30 am 

Quote:
I wonder what the reasoning was in moving their operations from Benton Harbor, Michigan to Santa Cruz, California?

Because that's where the action is if you are into electronics and programming. Santa Cruz is a beachfront community less than 25 miles away from Silicon Valley.

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2015 5:44 am 

I won't be buying any "new Heathkits"... too expensive for what you get, anyway, I'd rather build my own audio amplifiers. However, I sometimes find old, assembled Heathkits in various conditions and refurbish and/or improve them. I have several HK amplifiers and a few AM and FM tuners. Just refurbished a HK model UA-2, 12 watt mono amplifier (2 x 6BQ5's), a nice unit... added a decent Hammond choke to the B+ filter to cut the hum and it's now the RH channel of my "vinyl stereo" for a while with a HK WA-P2 preamp... (the LH channel is a home-brew, modified Williamson.)
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2015 10:58 am 

Flinx wrote:
My issue with heathkit is their prices. No matter what job I had, their prices over the years were too much for me. I could buy something already built for the same price or even less.

If they ever do come back I bet their prices will still be more than I want to pay for a kit.

Simple answer to that one; they offered quality products.

I remember years ago when I was looking for a really nice console TV set. I looked in the department stores and found televisions ranging in price all over the place. Yes, most were selling in the $400-600 range, but some were considerably more. The folks shopping for price? Probably looking at the cheapest one they can find. Heathkit had one for $750 -- holy mackerel, why so much more? Because it was a kit version of a Zenith System 3 -- that exact same model was offered in the department stores for $1400. I bought the Heathkit, used it for well over 25 years, and never regretted it for a minute.

But indeed, a kit offered today that uses discreet components will cost more than the typical China-built equivalent that uses IC's, and the China version has more features built-in. So it's hard to compete.

Again, you'll never see a Heathkit cell phone. But off-the-mainstream specialty products, such as test equipment -- or the ham gear, they could do well at.

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2015 10:46 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
Flinx wrote:

Simple answer to that one; they offered quality products.

Absolutely correct.
I built a number of their kits, esp since they were part of the home electronic correspondence course I took, in the early '70's, culminating of course with the 25" console TV. I also built the Oscilloscope, TRVM, digital multimeter, color dot bar generator, and LCR bridge. Except for the 'scope, and TV which I gave to my daughter when we bought our second fold-out big screen, I still have all of them.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2016 9:05 pm 

They have another kit available.
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/product/ ... gc-1006-26

This is the prime reason that I didn't buy Heathkit stuff before. I could never afford it. In this case I can afford it, but why would I want to pay $99 for a clock? :roll:

You can buy clock kits all day long for less than $20 some kits are less than $5.

oh and it seems to have battery backup that (by the way they describe it) is the greatest thing ever.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2016 5:39 pm 

you would think that buying a kit you would save on labor

'want to assemble yourself with that clock ? thatll be more' said Mr Haney

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2016 11:20 pm 

tubeAMP wrote:

Miniaturization and automation pretty much wiped that out.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 10, 2016 2:08 am 

Flipperhome wrote:
tubeAMP wrote:

Miniaturization and automation pretty much wiped that out.

This is what makes it tough to introduce a product in kit form. Imagine an iPhone in kit form, or a laptop. You just can't.

The last kit I built was a Ramsey 100B transmitter -- and it has since been discontinued. This is a wonderful product; I've had others tell me this is a very tough kit to build. For me, there were some vague areas in the instructions, but I had no problem building it. But there are plenty of discreet components, and the PCB is highly populated. I consider this 20-25-year-old technology. Today a better transmitter could be built, about 1/4 the size, with better performance and at less cost -- but not in a kit. Maybe this is what Ramsey has in mind.

I really think some radio collectors are living in a time warp. Sets of the 1930's, 40's, and even 50's are all discreet, and you can replace individual components to make any repair. If anything you lament the fact that individual capacitors and resistors are getting harder to find. Today, the industry designs an integrated circuit for say, an FM Stereo tuner, then the machines are set up and 80,000 of them are made -- then they're done. You build 30,000 radios, sell 45,000 to others to do the same thing, and keep the rest for overruns or spares. Next year you design/build a different one. You can't replace capacitors, but generally the IC's are designed not to fail in the first place. Usually they don't, unless damaged by voltage spikes or water damage. We look for kits, but the market demands the modern products.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 12:37 am 

Another "new" Heathkit product priced in to the stratosphere.
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/product/ ... e-order-33

This is why I never bought from them before they went out of business.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 12:52 am 

I never bought or build a Heathkit in my life .With their still inflated prices.I never will.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 1:02 am 

WPPCProductions wrote:
I never bought or build a Heathkit in my life .With their still inflated prices.I never will.

Back in the olden days, the prices were typically on the high side but it was worth it. For example, if you're shopping for a car and want something affordable, you pass over the Cadillac dealer and look for a Subaru or Honda. But if you see a Cadillac for the same price as a Honda, you'll either snap it up or at least ask what's wrong with it. An example with Heathkit was their TV set -- I had a TV that was basically a Zenith System 3 in kit form. The price was $750, and it scared away a lot of people. Sure, you could buy a color TV for half that. But a top-of-the-line Zenith, the same model, was $1400 in the stores. Mine was a bargain.

Today I think you're faced with the prospect of mass production, and even that overseas. You can buy a pretty nice radio, made in China, for less than that knock-together TRF set that Heath is offering. It's a novelty. The new digital clock is better, as more practical, but still not competitive with one you might find at Sams Club (where I bought the atomic clock in my shop).

I DO hope they survive and grow. We'll see.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 3:08 am 

Quote:
Finally, affordable laboratory-grade accuracy

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 3:09 am 

Flinx wrote:
Another "new" Heathkit product priced in to the stratosphere.
https://shop.heathkit.com/shop/product/ ... e-order-33

This is why I never bought from them before they went out of business.

The advertising for that is grotesque---I have no clue why I would need to spend that much for a power meter, and I have no intention of reading all the words to find out.....

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 3:18 am 

If I saw this on April Fools day, I'd assume this is a joke. It's a shame these folks took over the Heathkit brand. I am somewhat puzzled why this reincarnation of Heathkit has survived this long. I can't imagine they're able to sell any of this stuff...

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 3:48 am 

Looks kinda cool to me. Some great features if all true. More accurate than a Bird if they meet their specs. Too expensive for me but I'm hoping HK makes a go of it.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 5:42 am 

Their AM radio looks cool, but I rarely listen to AM.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 5:53 am 

I am sure that the fiasco with their manuals has pretty much turned everybody off to anything by Heathkit.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 7:00 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:

Today I think you're faced with the prospect of mass production, and even that overseas. You can buy a pretty nice radio, made in China, for less than that knock-together TRF set that Heath is offering. It's a novelty. The new digital clock is better, as more practical, but still not competitive with one you might find at Sams Club (where I bought the atomic clock in my shop).

I DO hope they survive and grow. We'll see.

Why?
You just gave two good examples of why they probably won't.

It used to be when buying something in kit form that the purchaser had to assemble, would give at least the illusion that the cost was less than if it were already built.

This companies philosophy now appears to revolve around the assumption that people will pay more in order to assemble something.
I just don't see that happening.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 21, 2017 7:05 pm 

Their "new" products are depressing. Our museum gets metric tons of old vintage Heathkit stuff in mind-boggling variety for 100's of different devices, usually all of very good quality. OTOH what they seem to be showing now are kits to produce your very own, scrapin' the bottom of the barrel, cheap Chinese made crap at grossly inflated prices. They have only their name at this point.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 153 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next