Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Fri 28, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pocket Power Plus---Can It Be True?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2013 6:22 pm 

This reminds me of the so-called portable power source a few years ago that would charge your car's dead battery enough to start the car. Turned out the device was nothing more than some alkaline batteries that couldn't perform as advertised.

The Pocket Power Plus people claim: "You can jump-start nearly any vehicle with the included jumper cables! (We’ve started a car, truck, motorcycle… even… a bus! Not just once, either. A single charge will jump-start a car about 20 times!)"

http://www.pocketpowerplus.com/?utm_sou ... _PPP_Aug29

I emailed the company about a week ago asking for some technical specifications but have not yet received a reply. Should that tell me something?

Richard

Post subject: Re: Pocket Power Plus---Can It Be True?
PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2013 6:33 pm 

This website is so sketchy I can hardly see it....

Besides from the book on the coming "hard times" and the hint that the devices will be raised from $100 to $230, all of this screams scam if not from the lack of any explanation of how it works.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2013 8:13 pm 

Don't let the power company control your life and finances !

Draw all your energy needs from the power of Mother Nature !

For just 50 monthly payments of $10,000. This miraculous gift of nature can be yours !

Just send me your credit card number, social security number, mother's maiden name, bank account and routing numbers, and I will let you in on the secrets the Government and Big Business don't want you to know !

PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2013 11:16 pm 

Domain Name: POCKETPOWERPLUS.COM
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Registrant Name: William Heid
Registrant Organization: Solutions From Science
Name Server: NS1.WESTSERVERS.NET
Name Server: NS2.WESTSERVERS.NET

http://www.solutionsfromscience.com/?page_id=867

PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2013 11:18 pm 

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2010/09/01/huge-wads-of-money-exclusive-excerpt-from-will/170137

"Federal agents called it "Operation Big Fat Lie," and they probably thought they'd put the Illinois-based marketing schemer Bill Heid out of business in the summer of 2005 when they shut down his "Himalayan Diet Breakthrough" that promised customers they could lose weight not through diet or exercise but with a magical paste that oozed from cracks in the South Asian mountain range.

But the very same week that Heid agreed to pay the Federal Trade Commission $400,000 -- all he claimed was left from an estimated $5 million in diet-scam profits in the early 2000s -- he was already setting up a new company.

Heid's new firm was called Solutions from Science, Inc., and it offered arguably a much more audacious scheme: To profit off growing fears of a total collapse of U.S. society -- fears that exploded with the 2008 economic meltdown followed by the frenzy of apocalyptic media hosts, especially Glenn Beck of the Fox News Channel."

Keep your money in your pocket, not his.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2013 12:44 am 

threeneurons wrote:
Don't let the power company control your life and finances !

Draw all your energy needs from the power of Mother Nature !

For just 50 monthly payments of $10,000. This miraculous gift of nature can be yours !

Just send me your credit card number, social security number, mother's maiden name, bank account and routing numbers, and I will let you in on the secrets the Government and Big Business don't want you to know !

I particularly like "Power Companies Hate this!":

Attachment:
Jetex Motor.jpg
Jetex Motor.jpg [ 37.8 KiB | Viewed 2643 times ]

which in case you don't know, is a model airplane rocket motor from the 50's (Jetex 50).

Brett

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2013 2:36 am 

The cables coming out of that box are no where near large enough to start a car, no matter how many amps the battery might be capable of.
At best it might charge the car battery a little bit.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2013 2:57 am 

Where are the complimentary steak knives?

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2013 4:32 am 

Brett_Buck wrote:

which in case you don't know, is a model airplane rocket motor from the 50's (Jetex 50).

Brett

They never worked very well, either. The planes never really got much power out of 'em, nor for very long.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2013 4:41 am 

Based on the descriptions and run times of different devices I would say it is a Lithium ION Polymer battery of some kind.

EDIT: and if I had read a little further, that is exactly what it is.

Lipo's have a high discharge rate so it would be possible to start a harley with one.

of course you can make your own version of this with a LIPO battery from an RC airplane site and a little electronic know how.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2013 3:57 am 

Eric H wrote:
The cables coming out of that box are no where near large enough to start a car, no matter how many amps the battery might be capable of.
At best it might charge the car battery a little bit.

That's what I was thinking. He probably used the device to charge the car battery and then start the car.

Anybody know what is required in terms of amps to start a Harley?

Richard

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2013 4:02 am 

fifties wrote:
Brett_Buck wrote:

Brett

They never worked very well, either. The planes never really got much power out of 'em, nor for very long.

They are definitely tricky, particularly with the original asbestos gaskets that ALWAYs leaked. The later Jet-X silicone gaskets solved that, and I got decent runs with mine. I still have maybe 20 charges left somewhere. They are long gone, almost certainly never to return. The Rapier single-use motors worked a lot better but those, too, are out of production.

Brett

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2013 10:16 am 

This guy should become an audiophile.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2013 5:24 pm 

fifties wrote:
Brett_Buck wrote:

... which in case you don't know, is a model airplane rocket motor from the 50's (Jetex 50).

Brett

As a youngster, I used the jetex motor in free-flight model aircraft. If you had a good A/C design (low wing loading, low drag) the jetex motor would extend the flight time quite a bit by getting extra altitude from a hand launch.
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2013 6:02 pm 

engineer wrote:
As a youngster, I used the jetex motor in free-flight model aircraft. If you had a good A/C design (low wing loading, low drag) the jetex motor would extend the flight time quite a bit by getting extra altitude from a hand launch.
Cheers,
Roger

I was into this some years back. Here's a video of just that:

http://www.beecavewoods.com/hobbies/jet ... erhigh.asf

If it doesn't play, here's an mpg version that can be resized and will take slightly longer to load:

http://www.beecavewoods.com/hobbies/jet ... erhigh.mpg

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2013 7:07 pm 

lostcauses10x wrote:
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2010/09/01/huge-wads-of-money-exclusive-excerpt-from-will/170137

"Federal agents called it "Operation Big Fat Lie," and they probably thought they'd put the Illinois-based marketing schemer Bill Heid out of business in the summer of 2005 when they shut down his "Himalayan Diet Breakthrough" that promised customers they could lose weight not through diet or exercise but with a magical paste that oozed from cracks in the South Asian mountain range.

But the very same week that Heid agreed to pay the Federal Trade Commission $400,000 -- all he claimed was left from an estimated $5 million in diet-scam profits in the early 2000s -- he was already setting up a new company.

Heid's new firm was called Solutions from Science, Inc., and it offered arguably a much more audacious scheme: To profit off growing fears of a total collapse of U.S. society -- fears that exploded with the 2008 economic meltdown followed by the frenzy of apocalyptic media hosts, especially Glenn Beck of the Fox News Channel."

Good sleuthing work. What a tool that Heid is.

I see he even lifted an image of 'ol Dennis Berube, standing alongside Kilowatt, his Electric dragster. :lol: :lol: :lol: That was so funny it was worth three LOL's...
Dennis would pop a vein in his forehead if he knew his image is being used to pitch that scammer crap (Dennis has a short fuze, and no sense of humor whatsoever).