Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 19, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My first HD radio Directed dmhd1000i
PostPosted: May Sat 17, 2014 4:38 am 

This is a long post, so take your time and read it. Please don't hate on me.

I have been looking in to getting an HD radio since I first heard found out about them a few months ago... yes I know they have been out longer than that, I just did not pay attention.

However it seems I missed the boat and all the inexpensive HD radios have been sold and there aren't many out there of decent quality and of reasonable price.

I was tipped off to an ebay auction for a Directed dmhd1000i hd radio for $25 bin "free" shipping. Not including shipping the unit cost me $11.

I just got it today. It was NIB and looks like it was never opened. It was also marked "Not for Resale". :shock: :lol:

This is not a standard table top radio. it is meant as an add on to a car stereo.

Here is what came in the box:
The radio unit.
Control panel with about 10 feet of cable.
a remote.
2 antenna adapters.
mounting brackets.
and a billion miles of wire to hook it in to power.

to test it I threw it on my bench and hooked it up to a 12 volt power supply. although it has an interesting way that it has to power up.

There are 3 wires Yellow, Red, and Black. You hookup the Yellow to a constant power source, the black to ground and the red to a power source that is switched.

To get it to power on I hooked it up with black to minus, yellow to positive, and then used an alligator clip to connect red to positive after the yellow was connected. If you do not do it this way the unit will not power up from the display.

Audio output is rather low but way more than strong enough for my homemade amplifier that has a 12ax7 input and single ended 35c5's for output. I have to turn the volume way down for comfortable listening. There are no specs on what it's audio output is.

There are 2 modes of audio out, one is through stereo RCA connectors and the other is through RF modulation through the antenna output to any frequency in the FM band. I have not tried the latter.

The unit is currently connected to a Discone antenna above my roof line.

FM analog sensitivity is excellent, I can pickup kcdx a 2700 watt xmitter 67 miles away (not HD) with a reasonably good signal. kvit a 10 watt station about 12 miles from me that is understandable (not HD).

FM HD reception is excellent for ALL stations in my area that have it. The unit takes about 7 seconds when tuned to an analog station to lock in the HD signal. Once locked in, the transition to HD is noticeable as the music quality improves, the noise floor almost disappears, and the volume drops slightly.

As for AM Analog sensitivity is excellent, kazg comes in great using either my discone or my 67' random wire antenna kazg is a 5000 watt daytime and 50 watt night time station. After sundown it still came in great and is 4 miles away from me. Most of my AM radios can barely get this station after dark.

There are only 3 AM HD radio stations in my area (that I could find). 2 are talk and 1 is a religious music station. 550 would not lock in after sundown even though it did earlier. The religious station locked in but sounded terrible. I think this is because of the recording quality of whatever they are transmitting since it sounded terrible in analog. The other talk radio station on 910 comes in very clear on HD or analog. Time to lock in seemed to vary for AM stations but was about 7 to 15 seconds. AM HD lock on was similar to FM with static and noise all but gone and sound quality improved.

When I first powered the unit on the audio sounded not very good with what I would describe as clipping or static, but that has since disappeared, and all stations sound fine. I have not noticed any compression artifacts in any of the Digital streams. After about 2 hours use the unit is rather warm, about 115° or so.

My plan is to mount the DMHD-1000 either in a box or somewhere near my Silvertone 7407, with the control panel mounted somewhere that I can see it, and use the remote to control it.

Last edited by Flinx on Jul Fri 24, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My first HD radio
PostPosted: May Sat 17, 2014 5:53 am 

Addendum:

I turned the unit off for about an hour, and when I turned it back on the clipping/static returned (analog or digital) until the unit had been running for about 5 minutes give or take, then it disappeared again. :?

Last edited by Flinx on May Sat 17, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May Sat 17, 2014 7:16 am 

Thanks for the comprehensive write-up; what you bought looks like an interesting item to play with!

PostPosted: May Sat 17, 2014 3:36 pm 

Brought the unit up cold this morning and it takes about 9 minutes for the crackling noise to go away. Its like sibilance or clipping, I do not know exactly how to explain it. If the volume from the station is low it is not there. After the nine minutes it goes away completely.

Here is the inside:

on the underside of the daughter board with the large chip on it, there are several tiny LEDs that blink rapidly at a regular rate.

PostPosted: May Sat 17, 2014 4:04 pm 

When I switched the unit to AM the static crackling sound faded a bit over time but would not go away. FM was fine though. :x

Did some more testing and research on this unit, and found that these suffer with a problem on the RCA connectors of over modulation.

There are 2 fixes for it, 1 I have confirmed works and the other I have not tried.

The first is to use the FM modulation mode, I have not tested this. The other which I can confirm works is to connect the ground tabs of the RCA connection to the metal case, and on to ground. This is the only problem I have found with my unit. Once I grounded the RCA shields the audio signal cleared up completely.

PS. I bought another one at a later time and it has exactly the same problem and needed the same fix.

Last edited by Flinx on Jul Fri 24, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May Sun 18, 2014 10:01 pm 

I whacked off all but about 2 feet of the wiring for power. I hooked it in to my living room stereo (Silvertone 7407). I tried using the RF modulation since the silvertone only has 2 inputs. The RF modulation is not something I would want to have to use. It sounded just like regular FM radio, so temporarily I hooked it to the tape input.

The antenna I have on it now is one of those T antennas some stereos come with. FM analog reception as well as HD radio reception is fine, but I did lose the low power analog stations. I really need to get a roof top antenna for my stereo.

AM analog reception is ok, but I only get strong stations with it, of the 3 AM HD stations only 1 would lock in.

The remote works great, the unit could use a volume control, since it puts out a very strong audio signal.

PostPosted: May Mon 19, 2014 12:39 pm 

Another benefit of a volume control on the unit is the volume could be adjusted from wherever you are with the stereo's volume control turned up to whatever the maximum volume level is you wanted.

Would be nice if that company made a table top version meant for connecting to a stereo.

PostPosted: May Tue 20, 2014 2:41 am 

Flinx-

Thank you for the detailed report on your HD Radio tuner, and the notes about the audio output jacks. I have one of these and one of the Visteon versions of the same unit, and neither has had any audio problems.

Apparently, at least the Visteon version was available with green panel lighting in addition to the yellow that yours and both of mine have. There are surface-mount LEDs on the board in the control panel that could probably be replaced with green ones if so desired.

Post subject: Re: My first HD radio Directed dmhd1000i
PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 11:08 pm 

I also just bought one of these units. (I have not gotten it in my hands yet though).
I am not going to use this in a car either.
What exactly is the fix for the RCA jacks? You said take the RCA shield/ground to the metal case. is that all that has to be done? or is there more to it?
What kind of battery does the remote take? CR2025 or CR2032 or something else, and did it come with one?

Also there was a Table/Desktop version from Directed called the DHHD1000I
The Tabletop ones from Directed is hard to find though and when you do find them they go for a lot of $$

Also all of these unit are marked "Not for Resale" as I believe they were to be given as prizes from radio stations and not to be sold. I do not know if there was a deadline to that though and the radios are now legal to be sold or anymore details on that "Not for Resale" thing

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 11:44 pm 

Solid_State wrote:
I also just bought one of these units. (I have not gotten it in my hands yet though).
I am not going to use this in a car either.
What exactly is the fix for the RCA jacks? You said take the RCA shield/ground to the metal case. is that all that has to be done? or is there more to it?
What kind of battery does the remote take? CR2025 or CR2032 or something else, and did it come with one?

Also there was a Table/Desktop version from Directed called the DHHD1000I
The Tabletop ones from Directed is hard to find though and when you do find them they go for a lot of $$

Also all of these unit are marked "Not for Resale" as I believe they were to be given as prizes from radio stations and not to be sold. I do not know if there was a deadline to that though and the radios are now legal to be sold or anymore details on that "Not for Resale" thing

Yes I have 2 of these units and both needed the shield grounded to the metal case.

The remote uses a CR2025 battery and comes with one.

As far as I know there is no law preventing anyone from selling or buying one. Even if there is I don't care, and good luck enforcing it.

I was not aware of the table top model. I will have to keep an eye out for one.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 11:53 pm 

Dental Music? You sure do have some interesting tastes. :lol:

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 5:21 am 

Figures it has to take a CR2025 :). I work with computers so I buy the CR2032 batteries by the case.

Anyway what is the name for the antenna connection (I think it is a Motorola plug but I am not 100% sure of that) I want to buy an adapter to a female 'F' connector so I can use a different antenna

I do have an an old scanner (Uniden Bearcat) antenna with the same type of plug. It is basically an old style cordless phone antenna (The ones that screw on) with a male pin plug adapter

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 2:16 pm 

Yes it is a Motorola plug, I always called them "car antenna plugs". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_connector

My unit has a folded dipole omni as seen in the picture below. The antenna under the discone.

I replaced most of the "coax" that came with the unit with the real thing.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 7:08 am 

OK I got mine yesterday :)
I also had to perform the mod/fix to the RCA jacks :!: . I don't know how many of these were made but I am pretty sure the whole production run has this problem :P
In your picture of the inside where there is gold metal tabs on the RCA jacks (Which is the ground/shield) I soldered a wire to one of those and then put a ring terminal on the other end of the wire and put it under one of the screws that mount the PCB to the metal case. Before I performed the mod the audio was all kind of distorted just horrible quality. now it sound great HD is not quite CD quality but close. Now onto getting a better antenna

Does a Motorola (Male) plug to F (Female) exist or am I going to have to "construct" one?
This is what I am thinking of
Motorola male to BNC female and then BNC male to female F or is there a better way?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:15 pm 

This website shows one.

http://www.godarusa.com/id89.html

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:55 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
what is dental music.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:15 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:
what is dental music.

"dental" was most likely part of some word that was cut off when it was scrolling across the screen. According to Wikipedia, KBAQ FM HD1 is a simulcast of KBAQ's classical programming.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 6:18 pm 

Also known as

1. Dentist office
2. Doctors office
3. Elevator

music.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 10:49 pm 

Hcompton79 wrote:
Dental Music? You sure do have some interesting tastes. :lol:

I was searching all through these posts trying to figure out where the "dental music" came from. I finally saw the picture, I did not notice that before. That is a classical music station and I have no idea what it said since it was probably scrolling. Maybe occidental?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 7:26 am 

One more question I promise :D

The way I currently have the unit setup is using an old 12VDC linear unregulated wall power supply (AKA Wall-Wart). I have black to ground, Yellow is the constant positive power wire to retain the settings/presets.

I have a switch on the red "Ignition" wire so when in use that switch is in the 'On' position (Obviously) the power button will then light up orange and you can power the radio on/off normally. when I am done with the radio I press the power button on the remote or the main controller and then turn said switch off.

I am thinking my way of wiring is OK as this way the unit is wired pretty much like it was in a car (With the red wire being on a switch just like in an automobile except without the key just a normal SPST switch) Other then power use and not being able to use the remote until the switch is on is there a bad side if I take away the switch and have the unit powered on all of the time>

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next