Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 12, 2018 4:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Early Bendix RDF Sets
PostPosted: Apr Tue 14, 2015 8:09 pm 

Hello Everyone: I am new to this forum, but not new to this subject. I have a manual for the early (1940) Bendix Type RA-1B receiver, the MR-1B Remote control, and the MN-5-Loop Antenna. Put them together & you have the Bendix RDF setup.

I am designing a model of Earhart's Electra for flight simulators. The Electra, originally was to have a Lear-O-Scope RDF setup. But Bendix got her to switch to his new (in 1938) RDF set. Apparently there was an early design of the MR-18 remote control installed in her plane. I have just one grainy photo of it. It is almost an MR-18, but not quite -- the MR-18 would arrive in 1940 and continue in production thru WWII.

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on early Bendix RDF sets? I don't know if photos are allowed to be posted here, but I can put up a small one if that helps -- if that's OK. So the issue is: What the heck did this early remote control box really look like? I can't model it for the flight simulator if I don't either have a photo, or the object. It is a mystery piece of radio avionics in Earhart's cockpit. The plane is now somewhere under 16,000 feet of seawater in the Central Pacific!

J. Blair

Attachments:
Sharpen_NR-1B_Prototype.jpg
Sharpen_NR-1B_Prototype.jpg [ 57.12 KiB | Viewed 961 times ]

Post subject: Re: Early Bendix RDF Sets
PostPosted: Apr Tue 14, 2015 9:04 pm 

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on early Bendix RDF sets?

E bay

and keep looking every week or rather every 5th day, for as long as it takes

Then Google the model number something for sale MAY show up

PostPosted: Apr Tue 14, 2015 9:52 pm 

eBay has been watched almost weekly. But will continue. The issue is I do not know what to call the box in the upper right hand corner of this photo. It's Bendix something or other, but what? I'd love to find the whole setup in a box somewhere. Certainly would be a challenge to get it working again! Radio, and it's use (or lack thereof), was at the heart of Earhart's misfortune.

J. Blair

PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2015 1:21 am 

Great project J Blair
I'm a FS fan and also a great interest in Amelia Earhart and her last flight
As you likely know, Amelia had the older prototype of the Bendix Ra1b
The Ra1, which looked like the Ra1b but only received up to 10mHZ
The Ra1b covered up to 15MHZ (I have one still on the shelf)
This receiver usually used a remote control head, and this is what your
Dark picture likely shows.
I have a much clearer pix of it from Elgen Long's great book about Amelia.
Re the DF set up, if you google. Ra1b. And select images, you will see
A picture of the loop sitting on top of the coupler and the RA1b
Hope some of this info can help you out.

George

***From the Land of Evangeline" -bienvenue-

PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2015 6:37 pm 

George:

The FS Electra should be available next year. The avionics on board Earhart's plane creates quite trail! I was, in my teenage years, a radio amateur crazy. Wish I had kept current! Turns out Long (who I have worked with) does not have it quite right, and neither did I. Maybe still do not. There were not two receivers aboard Earhart's flight. Aircraft certification makes that quite clear. The Bendix RA-1B was not there. In the beginning I, too, thought that box was the remote for the RA-1B. The box may be an earlier piece of radio gear, perhaps part of the Hooven radio compass (lots of players in this story!). I attach a photo of what was aboard. Looks like a tuning device that would allow the Western Electric receiver to work with the Bendix loop. Now this is the new box I am now looking for! I have the Bendix RDF panel instrument. If she had stuck with the Hooven radio compass things might have turned out differently! The box, perhaps mounted above, and between the pilot & copilot seats, does not appear to have any more documentation than this photo from the Purdue Earhart Archives.

J. Blair

Attachments:
Bendix RDF 2_small.jpg
Bendix RDF 2_small.jpg [ 39.52 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2015 8:48 pm 

You might ask some mil radio collectors if they have data or complete units. I can't remember what webpage it was but they had a huge collection of ww2 era military aircraft radio equipment, including operating radars and so on.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2015 10:22 pm 

db:

This isn't military gear. This is 1938. That's one of my problems in locating the avionics. After 1941 better, and newer versions of RDF gear abound. But 1938. I keep hunting for old, prewar, Bendix avionics. Many thanks for the post.

J. Blair