Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 26, 2017 5:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Technician license
PostPosted: Sep Thu 22, 2016 12:42 am 

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. But I'm having a very hard time finding a place here in Georgia to take the technician class FCC license. Anyone know of a website I could go to or a place I could take this test? ARRL website was last updated in 2014.??
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Technician license
PostPosted: Sep Thu 22, 2016 1:00 am 

http://www.techfest.info/

look under license axams

PostPosted: Sep Thu 22, 2016 1:35 am 

Excellent. I knew someone here would know.
Thanks alot flinx!!

PostPosted: Dec Sun 04, 2016 4:18 am 

Past my test Nov 4 . Thanks

PostPosted: Dec Sun 04, 2016 7:06 am 

congrats! now you can get to work studying for your general!

PostPosted: Dec Sun 04, 2016 2:46 pm 

Yep, the examination guy said I could have went ahead and took the general while I was there but i didn't. Should have .

PostPosted: Dec Sun 04, 2016 4:41 pm 

It's all good! Get on the air on 2M+70cm, get a radio that you can listen to ham and SW on and do some listening while you study. That way when you get your general you'll be ready to jump in there. Welcome and good luck with your next test!

KK6RPX

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2016 2:39 am 

Tech gives him privileges on 10 and 6 meters as well.

Pete

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2016 2:52 am 

Does It? It must be very small . I pretty much counted all HF out.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2016 2:54 am 

Thanks kk6rpx. My call sign is wm4ytw.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2016 3:55 am 

Quote:
Yep, the examination guy said I could have went ahead and took the general while I was there but i didn't. Should have .

Indeed you should have.

Last August, on a lark, I decided to take the ham exam at DEFCON, which is a hacker / security convention held every year in Las Vegas. I took the tech exam and got a perfect score. Took the General exam right after that and got 93% on that exam. To be frank, I didn't really study that hard.

The impression I got from the whole experience is that they should just combine the Tech and General into one tier. The knowledge and requirements are so similar and the two are taken together so frequently it's as if one is studying for the same test.

-KM6EUY

PostPosted: Dec Mon 05, 2016 8:48 pm 

Greetings to the Forum:

The Technician class ham ticket also grants HF privileges on 80, 40 and 15 meters as well. However these are narrow segments on the bottom of the bands and are CW only. Better dust off that Morse after all! :D

Regards,

PostPosted: Dec Tue 06, 2016 12:45 am 

Tech on low band CW? Never realized that! But the trap of the tech license is to go right out and get an FM radio of some sort. 2 meter or such. Well that kind of radio is good to have as a sideline but if you look to have that 2M or UHF FM stuff as your primary means of ham communications, you are going to be disappointed. FM was great 20 years ago. Everyone was on there. Constant usage and lots of people to talk to. Heads up, that nowadays the actual usage is not comparable to the number of repeaters out there. You can listen to repeaters for days in some areas and hear squat. Some get the VHF FM stuff and think it will be useful for public service or emergencies, Well it is, but that stuff comes along way too sporadically around here to hold most people's interest in it. You can get a lot of use on a repeater for some event and then afterwards. lots of empty time. That is the way it is around here with several large cities around within range. Back years ago you had to wait in line to get on the repeaters sometimes, now you hear nothing most of the time. No good for building up confidence or interest. That is why I would also look into other aspects of ham radio to keep up participation or interest these days. Maybe VHF SSB for long range contacts, a general license for HF ability or whatever options are available to your license. Anything but depending on FM repeaters to stay interested or active these days. Even FM simplex may have more interesting activity if you can install a decent ant. to take advantage of it. Telling newbies to go buy an HT for FM is a copout and is easy and it will make them ham radio capable, but I would really really suggest expanding beyond that. Even if your HF capability is only as a SWL able to just listen in on what is going on there, that would be better than waiting for a dead channel on 2 meters to come back to life for days. And even at that, with the sunspots the way they are, HF ham has a doldrum too, on the higher bands. But tune in at night to the lower HF bands and get an earful. Good luck to you. de A semi-old extra class.......

PostPosted: Dec Tue 06, 2016 1:38 am 

Being a new ham, I can't speak to the past. But in my area, there is plenty of activity still on 2M FM. Some of the repeaters I skip on my scan as there is too much activity on them. Lots of active nets, both repeater and simplex around here. So perhaps it depends on where you live.

In my rural are there are lots of not so wealthy folks, myself included. Many can't afford a HF setup or don't have the room for it. Being able to hit some repeaters from your HT is still a way to have fun and get info in an emergency for almost no money. And a VHF mobile in your car around here can be a huge help, lots of places that have no cell coverage here. We have plenty of folks around here that are happy with their tech license and have no intention to upgrade.

I'm not saying that every ham shouldn't get their general ticket and get on HF. I spend more time on HF than VHF FM. I am lucky, have lots of space for antennas and a ham for an XYL. But not everyone can get on the low bands, at least not right away. And HF isn't always the answer for communications. In the last year or so on VHF I have helped someone in a fire area check on evacuation orders, gotten a tow truck on the way for a couple broken down and helped a pal find his way home. That's real radio, any way you slice it.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 06, 2016 5:08 am 

Congratulations. Lots of 2M stuff going on. With the repeaters that are now connected to the Internet I've talked with people from Spain, Ireland, and Scotland all the way to Guam from right here in eastern PA, not to mention Florida to Michigan to Texas to California and many points in between. And you don't have to invest a lot. I'm running a Kenwood TM-281 powered by a Jetstream JTPS28M power supply here in the house. Xmitter, PS, antenna, and cable came in at less than $300, plus two handheld Baofeng dual banders for $35 each.

Larry

PostPosted: Dec Tue 06, 2016 9:33 pm 

Congrats! Hope you have as much fun and get to meet as many great people
via this hobby as I have. I've been a ham for about 48 years now.
My advice, which I pass on to all new hams, is explore all aspects of
the hobby. You can do a lot with a Tech license but getting your General
will really open you up to many other things on the HF bands.
Steve W6SSP

PostPosted: Dec Thu 15, 2016 4:29 pm 

"Well, I suppose that's the end of this thread" LOL Thanks guys for all the good info!

PostPosted: Dec Thu 15, 2016 4:41 pm 

devildog63 wrote:
Past my test Nov 4 . Thanks

Congrats! I got my tech license when I was 18 back in 2004 and a few years later got my general. I honestly thought the test to get my general was easier that the one for the tech. I'm not as active as I used to be but have really been thinking about getting my antenna set up during the holiday break.

Jeremy
KC9GIC

PostPosted: Dec Thu 15, 2016 5:02 pm 

Thank you Jeremy, I'm doing the same thing this Christmas break. Installing a jpole on a 30' mast. Got me a yesue dual bander coming , using lmr400 for my coax. I had no idea how much money you can sink into this hobby. But it's good fun.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 15, 2016 5:13 pm 

devildog63 wrote:

Yes you should have given it a try, I bet you would have passed. Many years ago my wife was taking her General and I had worked with her going over the material and the code. I had my Advanced at that time, they guy running the test session convinced me to take the extra and I passed it no trouble because I was so fresh with all the testing materials. Even if you don't pass you get a feel for the material! Welcome to the ham radio ranks!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next