Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 30, 2017 4:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crock Pot Part Dilemma
PostPosted: Dec Sat 17, 2016 4:52 pm 

No dice...

Bad news (besides the fact it is 7* F outside)....

It appears the "parts box" in the garage was the victim of a late August cleaning spree. Read that as I got tired of tripping over things in the garage so stuff went to the curb. So, sorry, but I have no 3-position switch for you. :(

I will keep a look-out for you as I troll the Goodwills. I seem to be encountering the same thing though--spring and summer there is an abundance of crock pots. Then the seasons change and none are to be found on the shelves!

Keep us posted and good luck with your search.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 17, 2016 7:38 pm 

Did your wife use all three settings often (L/M/H)? Seems to me a heavy-duty toggle with center-off could be adapted to the housing to give you two of the heat levels and an off position. If the switch is DP, you could solder your wires to both sides of it and divide the load on the switch contacts. Not as pretty, but functional at least and reversible if you find the correct switch.

Or run it on a variac and have infinite heat settings! :)
-Ed

PostPosted: Dec Sat 17, 2016 8:45 pm 

Eric H wrote:
So I'm watching Seinfeld and what do I see. 8)

We have a new winner for the "Eagle Eye of ARF" award!

I am flabbergasted! I cannot believe you caught that and in addition
was able to capture itto an image. Thanks and I can't wait to show this thread
and especially your Seinfeld photo to my wife.

Ed, I am not sure which setting she used a lot so I asked her and she said
"all of them, depending on what I am cooking." That toggle idea isa good one (and I
have some heavy duty toggles in my partsdrawer) but it sounds like she needs low, medium
and high. But thanks for the suggestions just the same.

Dr. Radio I appreciate your looking and I fully understand. I have a confession to make. Last summer
there was a Hamilton Beach super-sized crock pot in a garage sale free box. It was huge and made
perhaps one or two gallons of food. My wife said she wouldn't have a lot of use for one that big except
once every year or two but the price...! So it came home with us. As I was lifting it to a shelf one of the handles crumbled and broke. I envisioned how awful it would have been had the crock been filled with steaming hot food. So I wrote to Hamilton Beach and asked if I could buy replacement handles. I immedately got a reply advising me that that model had been recalled because of the handle seriously causing injuries to numerous people. They requested I cut the electrical cord where it enters the appliance, photograph it with the cord cut off and email them the photo, then destroy and discard the crock pot. In return they would ship me a new replacement. Wow! So my wife got a brand new one (which was far better made than the earlier one) for free. However, when I destroyed the old one I pulled out the switch and put it in a drawer thinking maybe some day I would have a need for it. Last summer, in one of MY clean-out purges, I tossed the switch. After all, when would I possibly need one of THOSE again?

So, Dr. Radio...no sweat. Thanks for looking for me but you got to admit, we both deserve credit for being neat and tidy last summer! :)

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 7:23 am 

Spotted this while surfing American Science & Surplus tonight. Might not be exact, but might work. 25 amp rating at least and the price is right at $1.95.
-Ed

https://www.sciplus.com/p/FOUR-SEASON-SWITCH_19945

Attachments:
switch19945.jpg
switch19945.jpg [ 7.32 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:35 pm 

Thank you, Ed! That certainly fits in my price parameters. Ever since I moved from Milwaukee
I don't think about American Scientific any more (they had a big store there). What a lot of fun it was to visit that store. It was like "Big Lots" USED to be, only for us GUYS.Anyway, I am going to see if that 7/8-inch dimension will fit and, if it does, order one. I will post my report here. Thanks for taking the time to bird dog for me.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 6:06 pm 

I know this does not address your question but maybe it gives an option until you fix it.

I am the cook. I have owned several slow cookers. None have worked well. They all burn on the bottom. It is a basic design flaw. I am not a fan of them.

I put my slow cooking stuff (stews and pulled pork) in a dutch oven and park it in the regular oven. Say 250*F. The even low heat never burns the food. Any heat proof vessel will work the same, even those foil turkey pans covered with heavy duity foil. Brown the meats first for best result.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 7:15 pm 

Well, I hope this sub would work, but I see it doesn't have the threaded attachment, looks like it's held by a couple screws instead. Also the terminals exit from the rear and not the sides and it appears larger overall. So at best it looks like it will need some adaptations to work.

-Ed

Post subject: Re: SOLVED: Crock Pot Part Dilemma
PostPosted: Feb Thu 09, 2017 3:25 pm 

The great crock pot calamity has been repaired.

I bought one of the "fan or heater" switches off of that auction site. When I received it I
discovered it was indeed 4 positions (OFF, Circuit 1, Circuit 2 and Circuit 3). HOWEVER my crock
pot needed a 4 position switch as in OFF, Circuit 1, Circuit 2 and Circuit 1 & 2 together.
I relisted the unusable replacement switch and amazingly sold it so I wasn't out the eight bucks I
paid.

Then yesterday I was in a thrift shop and there was a sad looking West Bend crock pot with no lid.
I asked the lady what she wanted for it and she said "What will you give me...it looks pretty sad." I said
"Would you take a dollar?" She said yes.

So I brought the sad one home, ripped into it and low-and-behold, its switch works just fine.

As I type this my wife is making apple butter and I am a hero.

End of drama.

Post subject: Re: SOLVED: Crock Pot Part Dilemma
PostPosted: Feb Thu 09, 2017 7:08 pm 

telegrapher wrote:
The great crock pot calamity has been repaired.

As I type this my wife is making apple butter and I am a hero.

End of drama.

This is probably the most important part of the whole story. :D

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2