Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 24, 2017 11:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to tell if you're really old
PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 3:56 am 

I was feeling old 'til I watched an episode of What's My Line? from November of 1956. I was 2 months old. And Jerry Lewis was a panelist and funny as ever. I felt much younger after that.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 5:42 am 

A few years ago while looking at some things in an antique store and commenting to my wife that I remember them from my childhood. I asked her if that made me an antique. The woman who had that booth overheard me and said, "No, that makes you a classic." I think I'll stick with that.

John

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 6:03 am 

I was at the eye doctor a few months back and talking about a problem and she said that I was becoming mature.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2017 6:06 am 

Another sure way to tell, you automatically get the senior discount without asking for it.
Phil

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 4:34 pm 

Not to poke a pin at the bubble here, but in San Francisco, I can receive an oldies station in Fresno, and one in Ceres, an all-rock station in Tahoe, and one in Redding, and a country station in San Jose, and one way down in Az. run by the Navajo. At night I can catch more, mostly country, on DX. Don't forget the Disney stations who play all the hits for the kids are still going strong. So it is not like music is really gone from MW. Yet.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 5:09 pm 

When you have to refurbish your favorite radio for a second time...

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 4:04 am 

HFcrusr wrote:
Not to poke a pin at the bubble here, but in San Francisco, I can receive an oldies station in Fresno, and one in Ceres, an all-rock station in Tahoe, and one in Redding, and a country station in San Jose, and one way down in Az. run by the Navajo. At night I can catch more, mostly country, on DX. Don't forget the Disney stations who play all the hits for the kids are still going strong. So it is not like music is really gone from MW. Yet.

Try KYOS/1480/Merced on the weekends.
You can also get KYA/San Francisco on the net. :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 6:05 am 

fifties wrote:
HFcrusr wrote:
Try KYOS/1480/Merced on the weekends.
You can also get KYA/San Francisco on the net. :wink:

Yeah that's right I caught 1480 KYOS a few times when the station up in Eureka wasn't walking over it. The KYA 'net thing-nah, I like DXing over the air better, it's more fun running my old receivers in rotation off the roof antenna like they did in the old days (though it's a modern active Wellbrook loop-whereas they ran random wires back then). The oldies floating in here on my Telefunken, Del Monico, and SX-88, with the long-distance fade in there, is nostalgic and kind of eclectic, which is nice. Also, 1680 KGED Fresno has an old Spanish guy who spins oldies on Sunday evenings-I was just there a few hours ago:) It's nice that there's still a calling for music in many markets.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 11:23 am 

The only remaining Radio Disney affiliate on the AM band is KDIS 1110. Disney is leasing airtime on HD subchannels of a few stations owned by CBS, Beasley, and others to make Radio Disney available over-the-air in a few markets. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Disney#Stations

PostPosted: Jan Mon 09, 2017 5:04 pm 

Alfredo_T wrote:
The only remaining Radio Disney affiliate on the AM band is KDIS 1110. Disney is leasing airtime on HD subchannels of a few stations owned by CBS, Beasley, and others to make Radio Disney available over-the-air in a few markets. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Disney#Stations

You are right-I assumed because I still hear Disney 1110 as I tune up to 1120 KPNW in Eugene, Oregon that they were still going strong everywhere. Bad assumption. So I stand corrected. But the other stations I hear daily here still stand. It's just a simple matter that I don't include kiddie stations in my DX habits.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:09 pm 

I'm with Peter (Pbpix). On April 5th, I start my 76th trip around the Sun!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 12:46 am 

Alfredo_T,

KBPS - Located in Benson Polytechnic High School, Portland Oregon :P

BPHS - class of '66

You never used to be older.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:32 am 

Alfredo_T wrote:
The only remaining Radio Disney affiliate on the AM band is KDIS 1110.

That frequency was once occupied by KXLA, a country music station that became KRLA in the summer of '59, and began playing pop and R&R fare. They were in a head-to-head battle with KFWB, each station putting out a weekly record survey. KFWB had a top 40 chart, so KRLA offered a top 50 listing.

Yup, them's were the dayz... :wink:

http://www.oldiesloon.com/ca/krla590828.htm

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:34 pm 

I haven't listened to music on an actual radio station in years. Even most of the FM stations play strictly top 40 stuff all day long, which is monotonous. I started streaming music back in 1997 back when my local Tennessee station, WDVX began simulcasting online. Now with something like tunein I can listen to many 1000's of station in my car via my phone. It's like the radio of our time

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:34 am 

Actually I have a Sirius satellite receiver in each car, and one on the main desktop PC desk, all set to "fifties on 5", that I occasionally listen to. All were bought "activated", so I don't pay any monthly fees.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:40 am 

fifties wrote:
Actually I have a Sirius satellite receiver in each car, and one on the main desktop PC desk, all set to "fifties on 5", that I occasionally listen to. All were bought "activated", so I don't pay any monthly fees.

Really? They gave me a 30-day trial when I bought my Lexus RX350 new in April. Then after that Sirius proceeded to bug the hell out of me to re-subscribe through the mail, phone, and 'net... until I finally called up the chain to stop it. Did you get some special deal in yours?

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:00 am 

HFcrusr wrote:
fifties wrote:

Really? They gave me a 30-day trial when I bought my Lexus RX350 new in April. Then after that Sirius proceeded to bug the hell out of me to re-subscribe through the mail, phone, and 'net... until I finally called up the chain to stop it. Did you get some special deal in yours?

Yeah, I've posted the technique before on the board, from time to time.
I bought 4 used, activated receivers on eBay in September, 2006, in 3 different styles. One died several years later (became de-activated), so I sold it on eBay and bought another activated unit.
They receive all XM/Sirius programming, except for specials that are extra pay, such as the Howard Stern show some years ago.
I believe the activation periods are 5 years, and lifetime. IDK to whom they were for, dealers, available for purchase, or whatever, but all 4 still work, 3 now for over 10 years.

So go to eBay, XM/Sirius receivers section, and in the search window type activated, to see if any are still available.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:29 am 

fifties wrote:
Yeah, I've posted the technique before on the board, from time to time.
I bought 4 used, activated receivers on eBay in September, 2006, in 3 different styles. One died several years later (became de-activated), so I sold it on eBay and bought another activated unit.
They receive all XM/Sirius programming, except for specials that are extra pay, such as the Howard Stern show some years ago.
I believe the activation periods are 5 years, and lifetime. IDK to whom they were for, dealers, available for purchase, or whatever, but all 4 still work, 3 now for over 10 years.

So go to eBay, XM/Sirius receivers section, and in the search window type activated, to see if any are still available.

Hey glad I asked you because I had no idea about this. That explains why you have it all the time. I honestly am content with not having satellite in the vehicle. Between regular FM and the FM HD-2 choices plus my CDs there's enough to occupy road trips:)

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:41 am 

You know you're old when you order three-minute eggs and they make you pay in advance.

As for music on AM radio, I've heard that when they were mixing records at Motown, they didn't use a state-of-the-art playback system. They used the crappiest system they could find because they knew most people would listen to those songs on car radios and wanted to make sure the mixes were right for that kind of radio.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 10:54 pm 

Will I fall into the old dept.Got a great AM station that plays old music here in central Connecticut.1220 WQUN also 600 WICC plays oldies on weekends There is a couple of other like WICC that plays music part time between the talk shows.
Lost a great oldies FM WDRC FM years ago when it was bought out by another company and now they call it "The Whale" .Now they play up to the 1990's crap and more harder rock tunes which I'm not into .

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 64 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next