Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Thu 17, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Food Pantry for Deer
PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 4:55 pm 

Here in Maine there are some deer feeding stations and I thought I would share this one. Go down to the third screen , Yesterdays full day time-lapse video, and click on it. Expand it to full screen. Please let me know what you think. Carl
http://www.trcmaine.org/webcams/cam29

Post subject: Re: Food Pantry for Deer
PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 6:10 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
Feeding freenzy when the guy show sup on 4 wheeler

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 6:22 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:
Feeding frenzy when the guy show sup on 4 wheeler

Is that crazy or what? Some days a turkey shows up and makes the rounds also. Carl

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:06 pm 

Why are they feeding the deer?

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:56 pm 

easyrider8 wrote:
Why are they feeding the deer? Dave

Yes...Why? :?

IMHO, being "compassionate" by feeding them, only weakens the herd.
Here, one can see deer or turkeys that are old, injured or ? are basically
shunned and abandoned. But that keeps the herd or flock strong.

Last edited by RadioNut39 on Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:03 pm 

easyrider8 wrote:

Dave

That is a good question and I don't know the answer. They have been feeding them at this spot for years. Two winters ago was VERY hard on the deer with deep snow and cold temps. Last year was mild and helped the deer to rebound. Carl

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:08 pm 

Cwebs wrote:
easyrider8 wrote:

Dave

That is a good question and I don't know the answer. They have been feeding them at this spot for years. Two winters ago was VERY hard on the deer with deep snow and cold temps. Last year was mild and helped the deer to rebound. Carl

IMHO, being "compassionate" by feeding them, only weakens the herd.
Here, one can see deer or turkeys that are old, injured or ? are basically
shunned and abandoned. But that keeps the herd or flock strong.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:17 am 

They shouldn't be doing this. Those deer are relying on humans for food and are probably losing their fear of humans to some degree. As those herds get even larger due to the abundance of food, they will become inbred and eventually get some type of disease that will kill them off by the thousands. Here in the midwest we are dealing with a disease that causes the brain to waste away and it is killing off many deer. This is nature's way of dealing with overpopulation of wildlife. Don't feed them...let nature take care of things.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:07 am 

Looks like a good place to hang out during deer season!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:51 am 

It also encourages the deer to hang around houses whether or not they are fed. What happens to be right by houses? Roads!
Deers struck by vehicles cause a TON of insurance money to disappear, and people do get hurt often.
With a ready source of significant food to fight over, bucks WILL get injured, possibly weakening or killing them.
Is this one of those situations where the person doing it doesn't know or care about the ramifications?
John S.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 6:00 am 

I struggle with if it is right or wrong, good or bad. In MN it is illegal but during very hard times the DNR will put food out!! I do know of some people who put out food so they can see the deer and no other reason. Is this really any different than feeding the song birds?? I don't know but I guess I would have to look at the deers access to other food to make a judgement!! Don't get me wrong it is an AWESOME sight to see I am just torn if it is a disservice or not???? :?

Linda

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 6:16 pm 

philcolynn wrote:
I struggle with if it is right or wrong, good or bad. In MN it is illegal but during very hard times the DNR will put food out!! I do know of some people who put out food so they can see the deer and no other reason. Is this really any different than feeding the song birds?? I don't know but I guess I would have to look at the deers access to other food to make a judgement!! Don't get me wrong it is an AWESOME sight to see I am just torn if it is a disservice or not???? :? - Linda

I DO commiserate with you! It IS tough...just recently we had a major storm here and some deer were hunkering down right in the snow in my backyard. Usually, they are nowhere to be found. I think they got stuck here with few options. I will come clean, and admit that I threw an apple out to her! I have even thought of building them a little "lean-to", or "manger" type structure, and get some hay for bedding...but I then realize that you are only weakening them.
Poor thing... :(
Attachment:
rsz_rsz_1rsz_1rsz_snow_1_5_17_deer_cold_hunkers_down_keeper 2.jpg
rsz_rsz_1rsz_1rsz_snow_1_5_17_deer_cold_hunkers_down_keeper 2.jpg [ 57.38 KiB | Viewed 542 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 4:12 pm 

If you want to feed a deer, get a goat.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 3:08 pm 

Interesting article in today's local paper:

"“Basically, they’re starving to death,” said Corey Heath, a wildlife biologist with the
state ­Department of Fish and ­Wildlife. “And that’s normal.”

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/ ... r.html.csp

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 10:55 pm 

Just a bird feeder is enough to get you on the daily trail. They roam regardless. Our roads were put in their way, not them encroaching in ours. They'll cross to get to the creeks and pastures, then return to bedding grounds wherever that is.

Hunters will put out salt licks and automated feeder buckets in the trees to attract bucks to their hidden blind. But those would be well off the beaten track of any highway.

We've tracked the same does and bucks as they've grown from fawns and later brought their own families. One had a broken and healed forelimb, others with docked ears or scars from tangling with a mountain lion or coyote. We've noted their return for 5 or more years before they finally are claimed by unknown circumstances. I'd say feeding or not seems to make little difference. If you're going to feed many small piles scattered work better, gives them space to avoid competition and fighting over the big score of feed. But the dominant ones will take from anyone who gives way, and mom cuts junior no slack. If hoofs come out, spread it out or stop feeding. But it's all natural selection and they're only doing what deer do when food supplies dwindle. Any disputes are quickly settled and some will move aside and wait their turns. I've seldom seen any deer with ribs showing, they're doing alright here. Any intentional feeding here is pretty random and seldom at that, but I know other residents do feed regularly.

Their grounds are north of us, while the creek is some distance away to the south across the highway. That we are in the middle has little to do with it. They're taking routes they've used for decades, when few if any homes were here.

Drive aware on dark mountain roads. I know their routes and am extra careful but many do get hit. Meanwhile they become a nuisance in the bigger city nearby and they have to hire hunters to cull the herd.