Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil.
PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 9:37 pm 

Has anybody except me noticed that it's gotten so thin one can almost read a newspaper through it? It tears just by looking at it. Another once good product bites the dust. I'll not buy it again.

And while I'm at this "once good product" thingy...Long John Silver's fish now tastes terrible. It doesn't even look the same. A year or so ago they apparently succumbed to political correctness and changed the cooking oil. I used to really like that stuff. Oh well, I'll also not buy it again.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 9:59 pm 

Eat more fiber John... it's especially good for cranking up antenna masts!

:) Greg.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 10:17 pm 

Me too on the Reynolds Wrap. I've had to switch to the heavy duty box which in my mind is what the regular use to be.
The old switch and bate trick. Keep the price the same, just reduce the quality of the product.

Freeman

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 10:28 pm 

And/or the quantity (ice cream, I'm talking about you... )

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 12:44 am 

Kentucky Fried Chicken is not what it used to be, or at least what I remembered. Won't buy it anymore. We used to love to once a year while watching football.

McDonalds Frenchfries are second on the list of no more.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 12:55 am 

badrestorer wrote:
And while I'm at this "once good product" thingy...Long John Silver's fish now tastes terrible. It doesn't even look the same. A year or so ago they apparently succumbed to political correctness and changed the cooking oil. I used to really like that stuff. Oh well, I'll also not buy it again.

SWMBO got the LJS in our town shut down. Not on purpose, but she complained to corporate about foul food, rotten coleslaw etc. and they sent somebody in to take a look. They never said what they found, but it was shuttered tout suite.

Tbone wrote:
Kentucky Fried Chicken is not what it used to be, or at least what I remembered. Won't buy it anymore. We used to love to once a year while watching football.

The fried chicken from the deli counter at one of our supermarkets is better than what our local KFC tries to get away with peddling, these days.

On the very rare occasions that we buy fried chicken, that is. Half of which are probably me buying it when SWMBO's visiting her sister - a bucket lasts me a long weekend and that's one less thing to think about.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 1:44 am 

I used to buy Reynold's Wrap, for decades. Stopped last year. Every once in a while I would get a roll that had a damaged end; this would cause the roll to peel at that end, then the foil wouldn't be wide enough for the pan. Reynold's would always send a coupon for a free roll--not a problem.

Well, last year they decided to get nasty and NOT back up their product; wouldn't even reply to requests. Lost my business for life. Now I just buy the cheap stuff, which is the same as theirs.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 1:53 am 

This should be REALLY obvious but:

Do not buy aluminum foil found at a dollar store. Just... don't.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:26 am 

Tbone wrote:

McDonalds Frenchfries are second on the list of no more.

When speaking of KFC chicken and McDonald's fries, my age definitely is an advantage. I recall when both were the best you could buy...at least IMHO. KFC stores were clean and efficient and the original recipe chicken was delicious. But at the end of the 70s it all began to go straight downhill. The stores got dirty, the employees became scruffy looking, the once great customer service disappeared, but worst of all the chicken became undercooked and no longer tasted good. So wifey and I stopped going to KFC and haven't returned.

And for those who might not know, there's a very interesting story about McDonald's french fries. Try to find a copy of the book titled: "Grinding it out" copyright 1977 by Ray Kroc, father/founder of the McDonald's franchise. Kroc writes in his book that one day he discovered that the fries no longer tasted the same as what the McDonalds brothers had made. He considered it a crisis and the quest to discover the reason resulted in a big surprise. The book is a very good read.

But you're right...McDonald's fries aren't that good anymore.

Last edited by badrestorer on Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:36 am 

Is it because they fry them in soybean oil and not Beef tallow like they used to? If so go to Canada, they still do there.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:44 am 

Not surprised.They have the thicker version but got to pay top price for it.

Never like KFC because they load everything with pepper.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:00 am 

Hcompton79 wrote:
Is it because they fry them in soybean oil and not Beef tallow like they used to? If so go to Canada, they still do there.

You can't beat lard, for frying. The malaise had even taken hold in England, last time I was there. Fish & chips has to be fried in LARD, dammit!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:05 am 

Yes the Reynolds has gotten thinner. Someone tightened the rollers.
Don't forget to punch the holes on the ends. Wifey still makes a roll go flying trying to tare off.

Was it KFC or Pioneer that had that Mini Bucket of Gizzards?

Gizzards and gravy, and that's all I need. :D

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:15 am 

Mike Toon wrote:
Yes the Reynolds has gotten thinner. Someone tightened the rollers.

I had always understood that the reason that foil was shiny on one side and dull on the other was that they ran two rolls back to back, because that was as close as they could get the rollers, while maintaining consistency.

Have they improved the machines? Or are they running three or more rolls at a time? Has anybody seen any foil that's the same on both sides?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:00 am 
Site Admin

How it's made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4OTj9yNOak

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 12:30 pm 

In the final rolling process they have to run two sheets at once or run the risk of the foil tearing. When they are back to back only one side of each sheet comes in contact with the shiny roller head and thus ends up shiny itself.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 2:13 pm 

I remember many years ago after Colonel Sanders sold his KFC operation, he was commenting how the quality of the food had deteriorated. He compared the gravy to wallpaper paste! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:21 pm 

If you want real 'tin foil', head to your nearest restaurant store... same for plastic wrap!!!
Fast food... is neither fast nor food lately!!! Once upon a time, Burger King put your patty and bun on a continuous rolling grille.... darn things were served piping hot and delicious...THEN... NOW, lukewarm nuked puke and a crap-shoot if your fries are warm, cold or somewhere in between....
I had the occasion to stop at MikeyD's last year on my way to my Father's in Florida... low and behold... a clean store with clean restrooms with pleasant people that served piping hot and TASTY food...!!!! I suppose it can happen, but it's the exception rather than the rule... IMHO...

Jim

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:15 pm 

"Fast food" was always a niche in the sense it was often reasonably tasty if not "healthy" and at least convenient. No dishes to wash, cooking takes time and effort. These companies didn't become huge for no reason. Maybe not a wise choice, I remember when going out to eat was a big deal, and usually required putting on nice clothes, and probably a bath. Not for McDonalds, but it was a relatively rare event.

Now today it's damn expensive and tastes terrible. Pizza is another example, always a high profit margin item, but it's nothing like the "good old days". Shakeys and Pizza Hut, it was wonderful to dine in. One thing it's done is taught people how to cook again. Good food at a fraction of the cost.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:43 pm 

Tin foil hasn't been made for 80 years.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next