Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 29, 2017 8:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil.
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 8:12 pm 

Ted wrote:
"Fast food" .....

Now today it's damn expensive and tastes terrible. Pizza is another example, always a high profit margin item, but it's nothing like the "good old days". Shakeys and Pizza Hut, it was wonderful to dine in. One thing it's done is taught people how to cook again. Good food at a fraction of the cost.

Amen!! - We had a Shakeys and I loved it. I'd blow 5 bucks in there and leave stuffed. Pizaa Hut dine-in, and remember Domino's Dine-In? Both were awesome - full on Friday nights with families and teens, slack the rest of the week and enjoyable...

Fast food? Wendy's here took 20 minutes to fill my dine-in order of 4 burgers and fries. Not-so-Fast-Food anymore...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:16 pm 

Not to mention...

Attachment:
CR-Money-Shrinking-Roll-Chart-08-15.jpg
CR-Money-Shrinking-Roll-Chart-08-15.jpg [ 62.44 KiB | Viewed 357 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:01 pm 

mbear2k wrote:
Not to mention...

Attachment:
CR-Money-Shrinking-Roll-Chart-08-15.jpg

Alright...that does it. Bad fish and fries is one thing, but shrinking bung wad is another. I say we all march on Washington. Who's with me???????

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:13 am 

badrestorer wrote:
Alright...that does it. Bad fish and fries is one thing, but shrinking bung wad is another. I say we all march on Washington. Who's with me???????

I'm Ready, We'll Show Them What For! :lol:

Attachment:
scaled_reddawn1984.jpg
scaled_reddawn1984.jpg [ 67.91 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:51 am 

Product downsizing has been going on for years and the consumer is getting the shaft by paying more for less product. Sugar since the beginning of time was always in 5 pound bags until a few years ago it was changed to 4 lbs. And remember when coffee was in 1, 2 and 3 pound cans? The 1 pound cans became 13 ounces...with the coffee company claiming that the way the coffee was ground...it yielded the same number of cups as a pound of coffee. I just checked my coffee can and it is now 11 ounces. Bags of cat food keep getting smaller...and the list goes on and on. They always try to say that these new sizes are what the consumer wants. I'm sure they think that if they make the sizes smaller, people will buy more than one to have enough on hand. Another example of corporate greed.

I should also mention that because of the smaller sizes it affects the amount of cans, bags, etc. of items to make a recipe. Chocolate chips used to be 16 oz. bags and now they are 12 oz., so to make them the way grandma used to make them, it will take 1 1/3 bags. The peanut brittle recipe calls for 2 cups of peanuts (the amount that used to be in a bag), but now the bags only have 1 1/2 cups. :evil:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:54 am 

Hcompton79 wrote:
badrestorer wrote:

I'm Ready, We'll Show Them What For! :lol:

In the words of Private Frazer:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:53 am 

Well, well...only Hcompton79 is willing to march with me on Washington DC. He's a brave soul. The rest of y'all are bung wad slackers.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 9:44 am 

I would go with you John, but it's the wrong time of year for swimmin'.

Anyway... why don't you get your old buddy George to go? them Texans are always up for a fight and I hear they like to keep their powder dry.

I can just hear the news bulletin... Arkansas tatter grower foiled again.

Greg.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:21 pm 

mustangcats wrote:
I remember many years ago after Colonel Sanders sold his KFC operation, he was commenting how the quality of the food had deteriorated. He compared the gravy to wallpaper paste! :mrgreen:

From what I understand he sold it then wound up buying it back when the quality went downhill.

I do know that at some time they changed out their fryers for ones with timers. Maybe that had an effect on the chicken. Plus I'm sure they cannot use the same oil as when the chicken was first made.

Think a lot of fast food's un-tastefulness is due to using "healthier" cooking oils, cheaper ingredients and wanting the product out to the customer as quickly as possible.

Once ate a Burger King burger a few years ago and it tasted just like a typical common store bought frozen patty. If I wanted that I could have gone to the store, bought a pack and a pack of buns for the same price and had about 8 or so burgers.

Ted wrote:
Shakeys it was wonderful to dine in.

Had a Shakey's where I live up until about three years ago when they dropped the franchise and renamed it the owner's name. Did so because for the last 8 or so years given they were the only store east of the Mississippi they had a hard time getting corporate to service them with the products they needed to make the food so they were pretty much using their own recipes anyways and decided why pay the ever increasing franchise fees. Shut down late 2015 as I recall due to the owner's health. At the time it was still run how it was when it opened in 1971 and still used the original ovens. Best pizza I ever had and nothing else I've found comes close other than Marco's thin crust although the sauce isn't exactly right. Now if Marco's would use the sauce Red Barron uses on their mini pizzas I believe they would have a near exact copy.

mustangcats wrote:
I should also mention that because of the smaller sizes it affects the amount of cans, bags, etc. of items to make a recipe. Chocolate chips used to be 16 oz. bags and now they are 12 oz., so to make them the way grandma used to make them, it will take 1 1/3 bags. The peanut brittle recipe calls for 2 cups of peanuts (the amount that used to be in a bag), but now the bags only have 1 1/2 cups. :evil:

Exactly and if someone doesn't know what the sizes of boxes, cans ETC... were when the recipe was first used (if the date of the recipe is even known) then they cannot duplicate the recipe without a good bit of work and trial and error.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2