Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sun 22, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PBS Nazi Mega Weapons Hitlers Eagles Nest
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 2:37 pm 

Hello, I watched a new episode of a BBC program on PBS last night. It is usually about Nazi Mega weapons, but this episode featured Adolf Hitlers eagles nest at Berchtesgaden. They pictured a very elaborate radio with swastikas on it. I've never seen this radio before. Does anyone know what model this is ? It would seem to be a very high end radio, and surprised that some G.I. didn't take it home at the end of the war.
It can be viewed here : http://www.pbs.org/video/2365914110/
Radio can be seen at the 18:35 mark. The quick view of the knobs look like other siemens radios.
Tony
Here is a better photo.

Attachments:
NaziRadio2.JPG
NaziRadio2.JPG [ 18.53 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]
GermanRadio4.JPG
GermanRadio4.JPG [ 55.48 KiB | Viewed 454 times ]

Last edited by Tony F on Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PBS Nazi Mega Weapons Hitlers Eagles Nest
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:04 pm 

The G.I.'s werent really allowed to smuggle things out of there. My Grandfather was there after the bombing and the only thing he was able to sneak out was a couple pieces of porcelain tile from Hitlers kitchen which I still have locked away in my safe. He told me all about the tunnels and how they were laid out since he got to explore them.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:32 pm 

Isn't there supposed to be a ban on any kind of Swastika images in Germany? It makes me wonder if that set was actually filmed in Germany?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:42 pm 

A shoe manufacturer has said it will recall one of its boots after customers complained that the sole was decorated with swastikas.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... mbols.html

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:55 pm 

I thought I saw a thing about that yesterday...

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/10/mans-boot ... r-6372631/

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:44 pm 

The swastika was at one time a common mark. I recall a couple of years ago an issue came up in the city of Glendale California. Seems that some of the very old street lights in town had swastikas around the base of the pole. These were put in many years before WW II and had nothing to do with what we think of today. As far as I know, they are still there.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:50 am 

Yea, it is not an original German design! Or maybe the orientation of it is. Finland or someone up there had swastika looking national markings on their planes in WW2 but it was oriented backwards maybe, and on a blue background. There was no connection to the German version, apparently. I know of a surplus dealer or maybe more like military relics dealer in SW Ohio that would come to gun shows and show off some stuff that GIs had lifted from leader's personal lairs over there. He had stuff like AH and EB monogrammed silverware and other stuff that I forget. He told me of some even more stuff that he keeps locked up out of view. He is the one that sold me the Luftwaffe Siemens table radio. However it lacked tubes. But was otherwise complete and nice. All show and no go.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:02 am 

The swastika is an ancient symbol, still in use in some places today. I picked up an old sidearm water heater and decided to restore it. To my surprise, the gas valve (the GAS VALVE!) had a swastika on it! I looked into it and discovered that the Crane valve company had used the swastika as a company logo until around 1939 when they decided for obvious reasons that it wasn't a good idea any more.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:14 am 

Here is a Finnish fighter aircraft of around the second world war.

http://ww2live.com/sites/default/files/ ... 0force.jpg

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:32 am 

It is found in many older temples in India and elsewhere. The Nazis perverted it's meaning.

http://knowledgeofindia.com/35-hinduism ... -meanings/

Unfortunately, this means people who see it now automatically associate the German use and not it's original meaning or use.

John S.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:28 am 

When I was a field computer service tech, I spent most of my time in downtown Detroit. One day I was up in a building across from the Penobscot building, and noticed it had swastikas around it's belt line a few floors up, this building I think was built in 1928. From what I read it was a good luck sun symbol before the Nazi era. The symbols on the building are designed differently than the Nazi symbols, intended to evoke a Native American theme.

Cheap and reliable isn't fast.

Fast and reliable isn't cheap.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:18 am 

Back with the original subject, there is no reason to believe that it wasn't a "one off" like the other fantastic items that were shown in that very interesting program. I was impressed with the elevator for 15 passengers.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:11 pm 

Kevin Clark wrote:
When I was a field computer service tech, I spent most of my time in downtown Detroit. One day I was up in a building across from the Penobscot building, and noticed it had swastikas around it's belt line a few floors up, this building I think was built in 1928. From what I read it was a good luck sun symbol before the Nazi era. The symbols on the building are designed differently than the Nazi symbols, intended to evoke a Native American theme.

Exactly; the swastika was originally a North American Indian symbol.

I remember seeing an eBay auction a good 10-15 years ago, where someone was offering a table radio made during the Third Reich. It displayed an enormous swastika over the speaker grill. Damn thing went for over $400, and I've never seen another one offered since, so they would indeed be a rarity.

When I was stationed in West Germany in the sixties, went into an antique store and asked for "wartime" coins. Bought a couple of ReichMarks (quarter sized coins) which displayed an Eagle over an encircled swastika.

At that time, it was against German law to display any Nazi symbolism, or express the "seig heil" salute.

I had also heard, although couldn't swear to it's veracity, that it was equally against the law in Japan to display the rising sun symbol.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:13 pm 

Coming back on the original request it is a 1939 Siemens Kammermusik Schatulle 95 W!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be_dhXKTWD4

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/siemens_ka ... h_95w.html

But this is not the original Radio from the Obersalzberg! However it is for sure that there were more than one radio installed.
The original radio is existing and owned with most of his furnitures by the bavarian
government.
The picture of his stuff, not open to the public, was offert by a news magazine called "Der Spiegel".
Have no idea where I lost it.
But as I remember it was this 1935/36 Körting Ultramar with push-pull output:
http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... 0&biw=1920

Adolf Hitler has several locations and I saw him with other radios.
In his cellar at the Reichskanzlei he had a late 30s SABA, picture was from the side, has to be something like this one:
Because I don`t have this picture anymore and it was side view it is difficult to say what model it was exactly,
but because of the knobs I saw it as a SABA.
http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... 0&biw=1920

A few months ago I saw a television report how Adolf Hitler invited Großadmiral Karl Dönitz to his office.
http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=h ... oQ_B0IcjAK

They took place byside a 1939 Telefunken D 860 WK. I own the same, I got mine free in the street in 1976.
I think you call it curb/curbside. I am owning it now longer than the original first owner did! :mrgreen:
Mine was owned by a real music collector, it has a 50s tape recorder connector to make recordings!

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunken ... 860wk.html

Regards
SIXMILLION DOLLARMAN :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:31 pm 

I remember seeing an eBay auction a good 10-15 years ago, where someone was offering a table radio made during the Third Reich. It displayed an enormous swastika over the speaker grill. Damn thing went for over $400, and I've never seen another one offered since, so they would indeed be a rarity.

Radios with swastikas are on ebay all the time although it is against their rules. I tried to sell one years ago and it was taken down as inappropriate. Funny thing was there were loads of items on ebay with the swastika at the same time. It depends on if someone complains or not. I believe other sellers selling the same item complain to cut down on the competition!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:48 pm 

fifties wrote:
Exactly; the swastika was originally a North American Indian symbol.

Actually the symbol goes back at least 11,000 years and has been used by many civilizations. It can be found in ancient Hindu Sanskrit writings and in Roman mosaics among others.

Thanks SixMillion for identifying the radio and providing more history.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:52 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
Quote:
I had also heard, although couldn't swear to it's veracity, that it was equally against the law in Japan to display the rising sun symbol.

since this is Japan's flag, I doubt this is or was the case.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:35 pm 

Thank-You SixMillion DollarMan ! That is very good information. I guess I didn't look hard enough on the Radio Museum website. The links you provided are interesting. I'm finding a renewed curiosity in the European radios.
Tony

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:30 pm 

My late father brought back 2 Mauser 98 rifles when he served in the US Army in WWII and the proof marks stamped on the guns are swastikas. According to my brother, these rifles have become popular with collectors, although few will take them to the range as the 8 mm cartridge is no fun to shoot with full loads!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 9:28 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:
Quote:

since this is Japan's flag, I doubt this is or was the case.

Sorry, but you're not correct. The national flag of Japan displays a red ball, and nothing else.

This is the symbol I was referring to;

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 38 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next