Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Talking House AM Transmitter Model ST1009
PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 7:26 pm 

I can buy this for about $30, my question can I use it to broadcast old time radio shows?
I see only one YT video on it and the guy has the same model and was not able to input an audio source into the "AUX" jack on the back.
I can't find any info on this model.
All the other one on EBAY are newer and are at least $100

Post subject: Re: Talking House AM Transmitter Model ST1009
PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 7:49 pm 

Bill Benson wrote:
the same model and was not able to input an audio source into the "AUX" jack on the back.

That's probably why his is $30, and the rest are over $100.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 8:46 pm 

In another YT video, the presenter discovers that the Aux input feeds the internal message recorder, rather than the transmitter.

BTW - most of the ARF expertise on Part 15 AM transmitters seems to hang round on the Homebrew Forum. You might find more help there.
-Chuck

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 9:15 pm 

Thanks guys, I thought it was too good to be true, better off trying to find a schematic for a vacuum tube transmitter, the ones I saw have that huge coffee can choke on top, too darn big.
I need a small tube unit I can build into a metal cabinet that is 4" high, 9" deep and 11.5" wide
the cabinet is metal and is perforated and it is an old B&K model 1240 color generator, it has a handle and 4 nice feet so I would need parts that will fit into this case.
If anyone can find a schematic that the tubes and parts will fit please let me know.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 9:37 pm 

Bill Benson wrote:
Thanks guys, I thought it was too good to be true, better off trying to find a schematic for a vacuum tube transmitter, the ones I saw have that huge coffee can choke on top, too darn big.
I need a small tube unit I can build into a metal cabinet that is 4" high, 9" deep and 11.5" wide
the cabinet is metal and is perforated and it is an old B&K model 1240 color generator, it has a handle and 4 nice feet so I would need parts that will fit into this case.
If anyone can find a schematic that the tubes and parts will fit please let me know.

Here's a list of lower priced SS and tube AM transmitter kits, from a reputable seller ( I've bought from him);
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Ham-Radio-Tran ... system_ynt

PostPosted: Nov Wed 22, 2017 9:53 pm 

fifties wrote:
Bill Benson wrote:

Here's a list of lower priced SS and tube AM transmitter kits, from a reputable seller ( I've bought from him);

I need something that will tune the whole AM band, 1310 KC is our local radio station.
Thanks anyway for the information.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 12:26 am 

Bill Benson wrote:

Where ya been?? Over last 10+ plus years we've built 6-8 different tube versions down in homebrew, generally using cast off UHF converters as project boxes for chassis, transformer, cabinet etc... There have been a few SS models as well... The LM386 version can be built on a breadboard of approx 3" x 5"...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68236

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 7:23 am 

Bill Benson wrote:
fifties wrote:
Bill Benson wrote:

I need something that will tune the whole AM band, 1310 KC is our local radio station.
Thanks anyway for the information.

You know, I somehow didn't think that you'd scroll down the entire list, and I was correct. The tube kit tunes from 660 KC to 760 KC. Not the entire band, but not on your local's frequency either;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Tube-AM-Tr ... Sw9KpW~pAu
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-6X8-5X8-AM ... SwS7hXAhj8

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 8:46 am 

After reading this thread.I better get my Lafayette 2 tuber AM xmitter back up and running.

Heres the ARF thread about it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=195001

Darn Photojunket screwed that page up..

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 5:52 pm 

35Z5 wrote:
Bill Benson wrote:

Where ya been?? Over last 10+ plus years we've built 6-8 different tube versions down in homebrew, generally using cast off UHF converters as project boxes for chassis, transformer, cabinet etc... There have been a few SS models as well... The LM386 version can be built on a breadboard of approx 3" x 5"...

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 12&t=68236

I have been here on the ARF forums BUT I only started getting back into electronics less then 2 years ago, I had to start all over again because I got rid of all my junk parts, tube sockets, test equipment, etc.
I got all my test equipment now but still need parts to build one so I have been looking on EBAY for tube sockets (very pricey) and ready made AM transmitters but no luck.
Thanks for the schematics, maybe I will try making a one tube transmitter for now, if I still had my attic shop I could have built some of the ones you showed on the schematics here.
I would like to build one but I don't think a one tube AM transmitter will have much range or modulation.
I may be better off posting a WTB ad on the classifides.
Sorry for the long post but I had to explain "Where ya been??"

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 7:41 pm 

Bill Benson wrote:
I would like to build one but I don't think a one tube AM transmitter will have much range or modulation.

Part 15 transmitters are purposely limited; how far out were you needing to transmit? If within 100 feet or so, any of the SS units will work. The one tube kit I referenced would most likely match that, per his auction description.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 23, 2017 8:29 pm 

There have been many threads on this forum about home brew part 15 AM transmitters.

I use a dual control 6888 tube for mine. You should be able to search that out on the forum.

The FCC cracked down on some of the folks who sold a fully constructed transmitters.

If you build one use a separate oscillator as converter tubes tend to go FM. Keep the frequency below 1 MHz as early battery sets like AK breadboard don't tune that high.

So I used a 6C4 as an oscillator, a 6888 as the modulator a single triode for a little more audio gain, and a 6V6 to get more power to the short antenna.

I wanted it to sound decent on a Mcmurdo Silver M-V.

I drive it with an FM tuner so I get their processing.

As the AM band has dwindled to zilch there is plenty of dead space to run your Part 15.

I live in a major city and there is one AM to tune the radio in my 54 Packard to with the antenna all the way up.

Jim

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 1:50 pm 

That Talking House one for $30 will work.

All you gotta do is find out where the output of the voice recorder feeds the transmitter portion and disconnect that then connect the input jack there.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 2:12 pm 

At this point a bluetooth receiver is likely your cheapest and in all reality most reliable and cleanest means of transmitting to your radios. I've been buying small bluetooth recievers from Amazon for $3 each for a year and if all one does is solder in a cheap aux input you can stick the bluetooth inside the set and then use your phone or whatever to transmit to it. No static, no interference or whatever. In fact I'm tempted to make a post showing how to do this since perhaps many of you would find it interesting.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 2:43 pm 

Those would indeed work if someone didn't mind doing the extra work, but at least for me nothing beats turning on any of my antique radios, tuning to 1MHz and being able to hear my music.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 4:44 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
....... In fact I'm tempted to make a post showing how to do this since perhaps many of you would find it interesting.
That is a great idea Bob!

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 6:04 pm 

Now if there's a bluetooth module that can be powered by an external 5 volt supply with no battery said device could be powered from a supply rectified from the 6.3Vac heater winding and use a 5 Vdc regulator provided the winding is not the type where both ends of the secondary go to ground through a resistor.