Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 20, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Favortisum on the job.
PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 2:51 pm 

Looks like I will have to find a new job, have been on this job at Ford dealership ( paint and body shop ) over a year now and its getting worse. I am on a flag hour system where when 'm given a job and payed the amount that's on the work order. If the job pays flag 10 hours say and get it done in in 5 hours I still payed the 10 hours. The better and more efficient one becomes the more money I can make. Any way when I was being interviewed the boss asked me how many hours per week would you like to earn, I said 75- 80 would be ok, although making 100+ hours a week is common if you have the work coming in. My problem is I have only ran 75 hours only 1 time in over a year and really getting 40 hours a week is very hard, and now is worst than ever with only earned25 hours in the last 2 weeks, I get payed every 2 weeks. The main boss said it dosent look like it will get any better for some time. The foreman that is in charge of handing the work out has 3 old time buddy's that always get the good jobs and are always staying busy and myself barely makin it. I confronted him about what I am witnessing and he said we don't say that around here. Ya well I just said it and its a bunch of bull:"?><(&^%$. At this point really don't know what to do except start looking for another job. Its getting harder to find a good paying job at my age of almost 60. I have lots of talent in the paint and body shop but so do a lot of others, it has become a cut throat business.

Post subject: Re: Favortisum on the job.
PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 3:19 pm 

I also wanted to add that maybe I will ask bossman just to lay me off so that I will have time and somewhat of an income so I can look for a new job. That probably wonted happen because they don't want to pay for unemployment pay outs, normally in this type of work you are starved out , meaning you will quit because of low hours and therefore not qualifying for unemployment benefits. You guys know the quality refinishing I am capable of and also done many furniture pieces as well, always wanting to open my own shop for restoration on radios cabinets and furniture but somewhat afraid of doing so because I don't know how to run a business and may loose my ass. The refinishing shop where I do all my radio cabinets, a long time friend owns the building and I'm working out of small room with overhead door, paying him 10% of what ever I earn . That I say is a great deal but he will be selling the building in the next 4 years and the antique clock club in Dallas may be interested in buying the building, don't know yet. I may have the chance to stay here working on refinishing clock cases for them? sounds good but that's a long way off. This refinishing work I do is only done on weekends as of now. I really think if I somehow can get the word out with smart advertising I may have a chance on refinishing full time and not having to depend on the automotive body shop industry for work anymore.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 4:00 pm 

I've been in the body shop side for about three years now, but as a body shop mechanic. I'm the only one here doing this work, and there hasn't been enough of it since the great hail storm of 2016 that went through Fort Worth and Arlington. There never seems to be enough work for anyone to make a check with the exception of two heavy hitter body techs. Also the only thing we get from management is whip cracking in the morning production meetings. The problem is not with us, it's just that we don't take in enough business for the shop to hit its sales target, and that is squarely on the shoulders of management. As hard as it is, it's probably time to plan your exit from that shop before you end up living under a bridge.

I think I know of the building you're talking about where you do your work, if it's the same one where there was a radio auction back in October. I wondered how someone could make enough money in antique radio work to keep something like that open. Are there really that many out there willing to spend big bucks to get a radio restored? I mean there are only so many high end collectible radios that would be worth it. I can't see someone spending a lot getting a 1950s plastic AA5 done. It'd have to cost much more than the radio could ever be sold for. Maybe I'm wrong, but I never saw that there would be enough business or profit to even keep a small shop open, let alone that barn of a place, yet I see that there are some who do just this.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 4:06 pm 

common problem encountering the long standing buddy system in job assignments.
Take the boss in some donuts every Friday and his fav coffee, show the other guys some competition.
Really isn't much else you can do, doubtful the owner would interfere and that would have its own problems down the road.
My dad always said, 'sometimes you have to kiss some ass"

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 4:35 pm 

Well like others have stated there's not much you can really do about it the old boy oh buddy network has been around for centuries and I'm sure it will be around a little bit longer don't demean Yourself by doing anything special trying to get some douchebags attention don't bring in Donuts or coffee don't try to play nice with the other employees it won't do a bit of good. They're wanting you to quit so they don't have to deal with any paperwork so give them some paperwork to deal with if you know you're going to be leaving anyway just drop a few words like age discrimination favoritism or harassment and be sure to let them know before you leave you won't be suing the company you'll be suing the personal employees. Unfortunately that's about all you can really do if you like your job stick it out if not give them a reason to fire you or have them lay you off at least that way you can collect workers compensation.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 5:21 pm 

Not unusual as one approaches retirement age for an employer to create difficulties where none exist for older employees. I have seen things like forced shift changes, revaluation of the job classification, a change in the immediate supervisor, usually inexperienced upstart. Depending on ones financial position and future plans as to taking the high road.

If you have setup with a financial planner and have investments then those plans should dictate what to do...

In terms of health, I have or had many auto painting friends, most are ill in some degree from the solvents and the particulates, despite OSHA protection. Heath considerations are part of the decision.

Regardless don't burn bridges, your reputation can extend into the detailing trade which can often be done from home independently and usually for cash. One can also teach the trade at a vocational school...

GL

Chas

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 5:37 pm 

If you think you have decent people skills you might put out some feelers with the major body shop suppliers in your region to see if anyone is looking to bring in sales reps. It will be a lot easier on your body than what you are currently doing and there is usually a lack of people with product/industry knowledge in these areas of sales. Just something else to consider transitioning into as you get up in years. Getting involved in the training side is another good idea that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Good luck!

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 5:45 pm 

Seems to me that a city the size of Dallas would have a lot of opportunities for an independent body man. At the dealership, you are only getting one group of customers, and it sounds like things are slow for this one dealership.

I had a FG truck cap that I needed painted, and found a guy that paints on weekends, lives in a rented house and paints in two temporary tent shelters set up in the front yard. During the week he's making wages, weekends, it's cash in his pocket. Guys like that often end up pulling the plug and opening their own shop.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 5:51 pm 

Look for another job. This one has run its course.

Unfortunately, the "good ol' boy" system exists everywhere, but this is having an impact on your livelihood.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 6:00 pm 

I wonder how much impact especially going forward that the new anticollision features on the newer cars will have on your business. The lack of fender benders has to eliminate a good bit of work in the future.

Barry

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 8:36 pm 

Not trying to be a kill joy here but as a customer I find the billing system corrupt and it needs to be reformed, meaning made illegal. The idea that I am charged for labor which was never required is simply dishonest. When jobs runs over estimate I am always hit up for more, "sorry sir but we had some unforeseen problems". Most on the outside of this profession do not realize that they pay for hours not used. Another injustice is that the new guys get the hard jobs that have less fat, less hours to be had, and the car owner gets someone with less experience doing the work when it should be the most experienced. Then there is the diagnostic testing and when they come to the wrong conclusion the pain is passed on to the customer.

If you bill me for ten hours and do it in eight I should not be paying an extra $200 in labor. At least they could detail the car instead of leaving a grease paper matt in the floor.

David W.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 10:26 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Solution: Security. Same number and type of idiots and blowhards as in all the other blue collar trades but three times the money for sitting on your butt getting fat hollering at a buncha morons to ``get off your lawn''.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 10:31 pm 

White collar has more than their fair share of blowhards and idiots.

DW

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 10:45 pm 

David Willenborg wrote:
Not trying to be a kill joy here but as a customer I find the billing system corrupt and it needs to be reformed, meaning made illegal. The idea that I am charged for labor which was never required is simply dishonest. When jobs runs over estimate I am always hit up for more, "sorry sir but we had some unforeseen problems". Most on the outside of this profession do not realize that they pay for hours not used. Another injustice is that the new guys get the hard jobs that have less fat, less hours to be had, and the car owner gets someone with less experience doing the work when it should be the most experienced. Then there is the diagnostic testing and when they come to the wrong conclusion the pain is passed on to the customer.

If you bill me for ten hours and do it in eight I should not be paying an extra $200 in labor. At least they could detail the car instead of leaving a grease paper matt in the floor.

David W.

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one: In your alternative, what happens if the job takes longer to do than the flat rate time? You know, something like the car is a rust bucket and several bolts break off? Do you as the customer pay for the extra labor? Or how about a less than honest shop simply lets the clock run on something so they can bill you, the customer extra? I don't like the flat rate system either, but at least everyone knows up front how much something is going to cost. It's the reason I got out of the dealer service department. Too many times I'd spend several hours on some squeak/rattle type complaint only to get paid a few tenths of an hour in labor to repair it. And I didn't get much opportunity to make up for it on so-called "gravy" work either. It was a big net loss from my perspective.

Remember, under flat rate you agreed to pay $XXX for a job to be done, regardless of the time it takes. As long as the job is done correctly, it shouldn't matter. The problems come in when someone takes risky shortcuts to get the job done quickly.

Doctors get their diagnoses wrong all the time but they still get paid for guessing. A lawyer who loses a case still gets paid full pop. It seems it's only in the service trades where this is not tolerated, a big injustice, the guy's just a scammer, etc.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 12:02 am 

Well Erich you should read my post again because. I have on countless times been hit up for more money, and never given a bill less than quoted, and at times well over 10% of the quote. My wife has been had with the bait and hook scheme, go to the person with the best quote and then told that they forgot to include the price of the new rotors. Oh, and Ford has burnt me many times with my latest car, a GT500 which I cant keep front tires on. One visit to a Ford Dealership they took the Shelby on a 7 mile joy ride after replacing the driver seat, seat rail motor.

Flat rate for things like alignment were once set high, some jobs easy, others not so much, but in the end it averages out. Now they just ask for more when it runs longer to get it right. Once I was charged $79 per side to break loose tie rod end nuts. Crooks!

To many bad experiences to have any respect for the industry. If you don't mind paying for over estimated time then good for you. Your financial position must be better than mine to want to give away money to a car dealership or repair facility. I don't take issue with those who are turning the wrenches, but the people who are doing the work at the counter, estimating the jobs, and the owners who they work for a low on my list.

DW

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 12:24 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
David Willenborg wrote:
White collar has more than their fair share of blowhards and idiots.
But not fat and happy. That's grunt territory exclusively. Meaning if all these string bean cubicle warriors get too much in your face you can always nudge them out of the way - either physically
or figureatively - so you can get your work done - or get your union steward to do it for you.
It's why sticks and stones can break your bones but weebles wobble and they don't fall down.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 2:01 am 

maybe Southwest Rod and Custom in Dallas TX. The owner is always saying how he can not find good help.

http://www.swrnc.com/

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 2:08 am 

Favortisum on the job ? ? ?

That's a recent problem.

It's only been going on since the first boss hired the second employee.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 2:27 am 

Never had given it much thought until it affected me, I know favoritism has been going on forever any where you go and that's the way it is and nothing I can do about it. So I will say, God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the deference. I will look and find a better job, Thank God I payed my house off and have no debt to anyone.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 2:34 am 

Not a great deal of favoritism but the boss always picks his favorite whipping boy here. Usually a younger newer guy. Then they get a job elsewhere when they get fed up, often for more money, and he has to fumble around till he figures out who is next. As we seem to have extreme difficulty filling positions, I would think that form of management would be frowned on. But I thought wrong. I better stop now before I mention other stuff.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 61 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next