Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Thu 21, 2018 5:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favortisum on the job.
PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 8:55 pm 

Fred, ignore all this BS about incorporating, lawsuits, etc.

You said you have a house; can you operate in the garage, doing auto body and furniture work? If so, your overhead is basically zero.

The suggestion about having a separate checking account for your business is sound, and something I've done when we had a retail store for 11 years, and with my rental houses (10), some of which I've owned for almost 40 years.

In all that time, there were no lawsuits involving the store, and aside from a few evictions and small claims cases involving damage and security deposits early on, nothing with the rentals as well. And no IRS hassles. The one professional you might want to retain is a very good tax man, or a CPA.

AFA "running a business", have you watched how they do things at the dealership? Just emulate what they do, tailored of course to your being a one man operation.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 9:09 pm 

fifties wrote:
Fred, ignore all this BS about incorporating, lawsuits, etc.

You said you have a house; can you operate in the garage, doing auto body and furniture work? If so, your overhead is basically zero.

The suggestion about having a separate checking account for your business is sound, and something I've done when we had a retail store for 11 years, and with my rental houses (10), some of which I've owned for almost 40 years.

In all that time, there were no lawsuits involving the store, and aside from a few evictions and small claims cases involving damage and security deposits early on, nothing with the rentals as well. And no IRS hassles. The one professional you might want to retain is a very good tax man, or a CPA.

AFA "running a business", have you watched how they do things at the dealership? Just emulate what they do, tailored of course to your being a one man operation.

Regarding the bolded, the OP will need to check with local zoning regulations about operating such a business out of his house. Neighbors generally don't care if you're working for yourself in a spare room out of your house answering phone calls and emails about your rental properties. They will care, however, if you're operating machinery and spraying chemicals throughout the day on a regular basis.

Either way, starting a business is likely to be far more fruitful than filing a lawsuit against your (former) employer. Based on the OP's description, there is absolutely nothing actionable legally.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 9:08 pm 

It at least looks like you have some breathing room before the next job. Look critically and don't sell yourself short. The crap places will rely on you settling for less due to your age. On your side you have practical experience.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 7:05 am 

Get out.

You are fighting windmills Don Quixote, you will not win.

Between dealer groups (the new norm), the quest for higher gross and net profit, erosion of benefits, extended and expanded hours, you are never going to win. They are not the same places as they were years ago. Today a lot of independents are offering better hours, pay and benefits. If you want to stay in the business, look at that alternative.

. Do something you enjoy, stress kills too.

I read this a couple of years back after a p****** match with a supervisor about two years ago, very fitting.

“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that g****** mountain.”

― Jack Kerouac

I got out of the dealerships this year, been in them since 1970. Time came. I had a couple of offers to go into independents, decided to make a clean break.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 8:04 pm 

Quote:
Favortisum on the job ? ? ?

That's a recent problem.

It's only been going on since the first boss hired the second employee.

- Leigh

+1.

It's no different in the office. I recently worked for a guy who was crazy; people wondering if he was autistic or schizophrenic.
I was the first to go, and three followed behind me. Sometimes being unemployed is less stressful. And many times, being the most skilled doesn't count for anything.

KD2AZI

PostPosted: Dec Fri 01, 2017 8:12 pm 

Sometimes you can make the change a positive move. I was laid off from a job that had dead ended and with my next job got a $5 raise in the bargain.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 5:42 am 

I was laid-off / fired three times. It was all for the best. The first time, I was one of 10,000 let go by a mess of a giant company. I was then hired by a company I admired and moved to the Washington DC area where I was able to do many interesting things.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 1:24 pm 

I landed a new job with an independent collision center, body work and painting, after 3 days there I'm basically running the paint shop , they love my work and are talking of me having the opportunity to earn more . Very nice clean shop and the owner and manager are simply amazed at my painting skills. I am so very happy to work at this shop where my skills are appreciated. I was given a two week ( lets see what you can do deal ) and after 3 days they gave a thumbs up and said your paint work is amazing and were glad they found me and gave me a $100 raise per week and said there's more money on the table. Happy daze are here again. :D :D :D :D . That old shop I worked for can kiss my (you know what) they can take there favoritism and destroy the moral of the workers if they choose and loose good workers. I was going to text the manager there at old shop and tell them I know of a place where they can buy and have installed a revolving door, but I didn't.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 18, 2018 2:10 pm 

Congratulations Fred and a wonderful way to start the new year!

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 1:37 am 

fred taylor wrote:
I landed a new job with an independent collision center, body work and painting, after 3 days there I'm basically running the paint shop , they love my work and are talking of me having the opportunity to earn more . Very nice clean shop and the owner and manager are simply amazed at my painting skills. I am so very happy to work at this shop where my skills are appreciated. I was given a two week ( lets see what you can do deal ) and after 3 days they gave a thumbs up and said your paint work is amazing and were glad they found me and gave me a $100 raise per week and said there's more money on the table. Happy daze are here again. :D :D :D :D . That old shop I worked for can kiss my (you know what) they can take there favoritism and destroy the moral of the workers if they choose and loose good workers. I was going to text the manager there at old shop and tell them I know of a place where they can buy and have installed a revolving door, but I didn't.

Told ya to go independent........... :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 5:05 am 

Fred, I've seen many of your cabinet projects on here. If that's any indication of your quality of work, I'm not surprised how quickly another shop has hired you. I'm just amazed at how nice your radios turn out. As far as your old place of employment, if they have half a brain, they will eventually figure out what fools they were. You have the upper hand now. Congratulations, you deserve to be treated right.

Steve

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 2:01 pm 

Congratulations on finding the new job. It sounds very encouraging and exciting, with the chance for advancement.

Sometimes its hard to leave an old job, even when its a crappy job. Sometimes we sell ourselves short on our skills, or it can just be the fear of the unknown. Been there and done that. But in my case when I did move on to a new job, it was always without regrets.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:22 pm 

Fred someone once said that the best revenge is living well !. I think this might be you . Congrats on the new gig and glad it worked out well. Your former place of employment will get its just deserts with that caliber of management.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 5:00 pm 

Fred, Before I retired last year, I used to work for GM and part of my job was to call on GM dealer and independent body shops. I can say from observation that the kind of work you produce is if anything a rarity in collision repair. I don't know if the industry has evolved somehow to the point that either the shops don't care about turning out quality or the public has come to expect less and accepts it. I do know about shops using cheaper non OEM parts to cut costs, mostly influenced by cut rate insurance companies, cutting corners, etc. Just glad you found a shop that appreciates your work and attitude! Good Luck!!!

K4DLM

PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 8:36 pm 

fred taylor wrote:
That old shop I worked for can kiss my (you know what) they can take there favoritism and destroy the moral of the workers if they choose and loose good workers. I was going to text the manager there at old shop and tell them I know of a place where they can buy and have installed a revolving door, but I didn't.

A sweeter form of revenge might be that when the new employer needs an additional worker, contact someone who you know to be very good at the old place, and get them together... :twisted:

PostPosted: Jan Sat 20, 2018 9:14 pm 

fifties wrote:
fred taylor wrote:
That old shop I worked for can kiss my (you know what) they can take there favoritism and destroy the moral of the workers if they choose and loose good workers. I was going to text the manager there at old shop and tell them I know of a place where they can buy and have installed a revolving door, but I didn't.

A sweeter form of revenge might be that when the new employer needs an additional worker, contact someone who you know to be very good at the old place, and get them together... :twisted:

I like the way you think, fifties. :wink:

PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 10:09 pm 

Fred, I was debating on whether or not to post, but curiosity is getting the best of me. I read your posts on your radio restorations and am in awe on how nice they turn out. Knowing you have a talent for painting and finishing, along with "integrity", would think that you are doing very well with the new job. I really enjoyed some of the comments on the "revolving door" and taking the "good" help from the previous employer. I do enjoy fifties sense of humor. Bottom line is I'm hoping your new job is working out to your expectations.

Steve

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:20 am 

fifties wrote:
fred taylor wrote:

Absolutely! Not so much revenge as getting away from toxic people and helping good people.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:57 pm 

fifties wrote:
fred taylor wrote:

I was one of the first on my engineering team to leave at my former employer. After 5 years I was simply fed up with the company and management. I have since given referrals to five of my former co-workers from that job, and they were all hired by my current employer. Plus I got paid a nice referral bonus for each person :lol:

Everyone who I have helped find a new job is much happier and makes more money. You don't realize just how toxic an employer is until you get away from them.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 11:33 pm 

There was a time when autos were made out of metal. Unless it was a really bad accident, a collision repair shop could put it back in shape so there was plenty of business. Now, with the plastic eggs on four wheels, a good blow from a shopping cart and they want to total the car, thus no business for the A-1 Collision Center.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 61 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next