Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 11, 2018 1:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favortisum on the job.
PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:24 am 

Reminds me of an Architecture and Design firm I once worked at in the 90's. There was one PM that always consistently had a high profitability on all his projects, one year profitability on one project was half a million dollars. Needless to say when bonus time came around he got very little, whereas another PM who had projects that her consistent losers got quite a hefty bonus.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:46 am 

fred taylor wrote:
Looks like I will have to find a new job

My problem is I have only ran 75 hours only 1 time in over a year and really getting 40 hours a week is very hard, and now is worst than ever with only earned25 hours in the last 2 weeks, I get payed every 2 weeks. The main boss said it dosent look like it will get any better for some time.

fred taylor wrote:
The refinishing shop where I do all my radio cabinets, a long time friend owns the building and I'm working out of small room with overhead door, paying him 10% of what ever I earn . That I say is a great deal but he will be selling the building in the next 4 years and the antique clock club in Dallas may be interested in buying the building, don't know yet. I may have the chance to stay here working on refinishing clock cases for them? sounds good but that's a long way off. This refinishing work I do is only done on weekends as of now.

It sounds to me as though you currently have two part time jobs. If you only got 25 hours in two weeks in the auto body shop, could you not spend more time on the furniture refinishing? If so, could both jobs get you by?

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:47 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
fred taylor wrote:
God grant me the serenity....
(in unison) Hiiiiii Freeeeedddd.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:58 am 

If you work for yourself / own the company, such problems do not exist. It is far less risky. Istead of one boss, you have multiple custoners, and you get to "fire" (refuse to work for) the undesirable ones. I am 60 and started my corporation 26 years ago. My only mistake was aiming so long to do so.

The good paint-less dent remoVal companies seen to make good money. Could you do that? Not much equipment and no facility is needed.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 4:13 am 

You said you don't know how to run a business. It isn't difficult if you work as a sole proprietor. People are going to tell you how you're going to need this insurance for this and that, etc. but if you play your cards right you'll find a way to make it work.

I ran a business for 33 years before I decided I'd had enough fun for one lifetime. I was a sub-S corporation. You don't want to go that route because it's too expensive with all the accountant's fees if you don't know how to handle that part of it yourself, and I'm betting that's where the problem lies in your case - and mine. I just didn't want to do that work, so I paid an accountant to handle it.
A sole proprietor basically uses his own bank account, you can have one that looks more like a business account to look better for customers, but it is all YOUR money that can all be used for whatever you want except you need to keep some to pay income taxes both state and Fed.
That's about all most small business's run by a sole proprietor do.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 4:57 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
If you work for yourself/own the company, instead of one boss, you have multiple custoners, and you get to "fire" (refuse to work for) the undesirable ones.
And then get accused of any number of things as a result and get bogged down in all manner of legal crap over it instead of being able to run your business.

For which you as company owner have to now foot the bill all by yourself (unless you join a legal consortium and pay the subscription/per-incident fee for that) which is a problem especially where the other person might even have Harvard-minted attorneys working free for Legal Aid working against you.

If the accuser has deeper pockets than you and is just bored looking to pick a fight - look out.

One company/ one guy=one avg - and marginally expensive attorney you have to pay for yourself vs top of the line Harvard-trained legal sharks working for free at Legal Aid to work off whatever scandal they got themselves into = not even a fair fight.

Last edited by ndiamone on Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 4:59 am 

^This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Who's gonna sue someone because he won't refinish their furniture, or do body work? All he has to say is that he's too busy to take on more work right now.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:05 am 

fifties wrote:
All he has to say is that he's too busy to take on more work right now.
That probably works fine in the big city where there's hundreds or thousands of providers. But I've seen it this way more often in out of the way places LIKE HERE where the guy in question is the only guy around.

Before all this went to hell in a handbasket - this lady we kind of know demanded to be put on a waiting list and kept pestering the guy as to how far he was getting on his waiting list (of five people). Of course he got tired of being badgered and dropped her as a customer.

Since there weren't any other DECENT refinishers within a two hour drive - she called up the State Legal Aid who basically set the hounds after the guy - and the only reason it stopped where it did was the fact that the State Eldercare Ombudsman discovered the guy was just as senior and just as disabled as the woman and didn't HAVE to be doing anything for ANYBODY.

Otherwise this could have gotten real ugly real fast before she moved to a nursing home out of the area and it wasn't an issue anymore.

P.S. When the family came to downsize her house afterward so it could be rehabbed prior to sale - they found him driving by on the highway and PAID HIM to come get all the furniture - which he then refinished in his own time and sold for a handsome profit.

Even out here in the boonies old cliche's are still true - what goes around comes around.

It's the same reason e.g. Amazon/eBay sellers can't leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers anymore. It's either Positive, Report This Buyer (which nobody but eBay/Amazon staff can see) or no feedback at all.

Last edited by ndiamone on Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:09 am 

Auto body home based business -a disgruntled client could sue, paint job no good, overspray on the chrome or something. Usually, worst case, you can do the rework for free and defuse the situation.

Go for it, go freelance. Maybe the old boss will throw you a bone, maybe he won't, but why fret and suffer? Do custom paint, boats, bikes, skidoos, whatever.

Radios are a pleasant hobby, but few customers will pay you enough to survive on it.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:14 am 

ndiamone wrote:
fifties wrote:
All he has to say is that he's too busy to take on more work right now.
That probably works fine in the big city where there's hundreds or thousands of providers. But I've seen it this way more often in out of the way places LIKE HERE where the guy in question is the only guy around.

Before all this went to hell in a handbasket - this lady we kind of know demanded to be put on a waiting list and kept pestering the guy as to how far he was getting on his waiting list (of five people). Of course he got tired of being badgered and dropped her as a customer.

Since there weren't any other DECENT refinishers within a two hour drive - she called up the State Legal Aid who basically set the hounds after the guy -

Fine. You are citing ONE case. That shouldn't deter Fred in the least.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:15 am 

Favoritism has been going on for ages.I've seen it in most part in my working life.See the brown nosers gain browning points all the time.Just be careful and keep positive with the boss and things should move OK.Its not worth getting fired over something simple.Also be careful posting stuff online.You dont know who is watching on the other side.All it takes is one Google search.I have had a couple friends that got hung because of posting job related issues online.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:17 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
Do custom paint - skidoos.....
Just make sure you steer clear of the even ones (22, 24 etc) and stick w the odd.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 7:01 am 

Retail businesses need to be careful about what customers they take or reject. Consultants, architects, engineers, lawyers and do forth do not have such issues.

I hear all kinds of reasons why people are afraid to have their own company, and all are baloney. Fear of litigation is frequently an excuse, but talk to people who own companies to see reality. My company has never had been the subject of any sort of claim or litigation, and my wife and I have not had any such problems owning rental houses.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 8:13 am 

open your own shop... or work out of your house...
or maybe rent space in another garage... or maybe another body shop will let you do your pvt jobs there if you pay him for shop/tool use per job.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:18 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Consultants, architects, engineers, lawyers and do forth do not have such issues.
Well they do, just you never hear about it because they subscribe to trade associations and/or contract with affairs-handling companies like we had to do so they can get some work done.
FStephenMasek wrote:
My wife and I have not had any such problems owning rental houses.
You live in a section of Orange County where there's only one kind of people and one kind of income. That's like saying `All my properties are on Rodeo Drive or on Fifth Avenue so I never have an issue.',

Try it up in the city sometime. We had to turn ours over to a property mgt co. that is one of the few housing conglomerates to have its' own litigation team to go to bat for its' clients (the homeowners).

Before we hired them - including hiring PM co's that were basically just a glorified maintenance report intake and collections office - (i.e. we had to contract for maint and pay THEM THEIR fee as well) we were spending all our rent money on maintenance that didn't need to be done and on frivolous litigation that would routinely get dismissed out of court - but only after several thousand dollars of separate atty fees besides the PM co service fee. After hiring these people - no more maint bills no more legal bills no more obnoxious and golddigging renters etc etc etc.

Sure we check the dockets and see so and so tenant is having Legal Aid lodge some action or another - but with the Legal Aid paralegals having trouble litigating their way out of a paper bag and the teachers from the law school who monitor their work never taking much of an active role - it's not a direct worry anymore like it was. Believe me - they earn their percentage for sure.

Only thing we are going to hate is come January when we are going to have to start spinning off each property into it's own individual corporate entity - they say ``because otherwise if one property goes bankrupt or has other legal or financial problems - it takes all the other ones down with it.''

We didn't understand so they explained ``Each individual store location or cinema or anything else is its own corporate entity within the bigger corporation - which is one of several reasons why it becomes an inventory and accounting nightmare anymore taking things bought at one branch back to a different branch to exchange or get credit.''

Meaning if you are doing a home business - you need to incorporate that as well - even under a Sole Proprietorship - so if there ends up to be problems w your business - you don't end up destitute and losing your house car etc in the process.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:51 pm 

We own rental houses in seven states, and just one in California, out in Victorville. We have had them in a few other,states. We have always had management companies. It is still necessary to manage the managers, but we spend four to six hours per year on each house.

Those afraid to work for themselves and to invest in real estate ate missing tremendous opportunities.

Last edited by FStephenMasek on Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:56 pm 

Owning and operating your own business has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, like everything else in life. Focusing solely on the bad (or good) aspects does one little good. Still, it's good to be prepared before jumping in and being sure you have a good handle on the expenses you'll incur to get started. And it's good to have a realistic timeframe on when you'll recoup those expenses. Advice here is free, but you should not hesitate to contact an accountant or lawyer if you feel overwhelmed by a particular aspect.

The subject of incorporating vs. sole proprietorship is one that is and forever will be heavily debated. Again, there are benefits and drawbacks to both. You should at least take the time to understand those. Either way, one bit of advice is to set up a bank account dedicated to your business, and have customers write checks that you deposit to that account. Don't have customers write checks in your name. Mixing business and personal dollars in one bank account is a good way to get the IRS on your tail as well as making your personal funds be more easily subject to claims from creditors. By itself, a separate business account is not sufficient to avoid problems with Uncle Sam or creditors, but it is a necessary step. It's amazing how many business owners don't take this simple and inexpensive step.

As for favoritism, it happens everywhere. I've seen many instances in corporate America where a highly successful and accomplished employee gets shunted to the side so that the clueless new boss can bring in his hotshot favorite in order to screw things up quicker.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 6:55 pm 

There is several ways to get free advice on starting and operating a business.
#1, talk to your insurance agent about what you need, they encounter new business owners daily
#2, talk to the banker, ask what you need, what they offer, compare to other banks, don't' forget credit unions.
#3, your local chamber of commerce, they are there to help you, sometimes, depending on the community.

Joe

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 7:46 pm 

About suing your employer

You will will come to a law office with all kinds of data, a lawyer will look it over and say he will make you rich. Except you will have to pay him for his work so you should expect a bill of $10,000 to $80,000. So you drain your retirement.

The lawyer will go to work and then present the case to a judge whether it should go to trial, except the judge will rule there is no case here worthy of presenting it to a jury.

A you kept the lawyer's staff busy and employed
B You are out of the money
C There will probably be a record that you tried to sue your employer and now you are quite RADIOACTIVE!

A lawyer will do what is best for HIMSELF not you!

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 8:38 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
There is several ways to get free advice on starting and operating a business.
https://www.score.org and whatever feelers you can put out through your current or former trade assn's/unions.

Same with legal representation. As a 55+ senior with or without additional weight or disabilities caused thereby - a great many senior advocates have connections to REAL lawyers - not the little bitty trainees from Legal Aid - that are capable of the work prosecuring your employer with little or no money out of pocket - in some capacities similar to the No Recovery No Fee people that pollute the medical-malpractice field, That way at least you are not out the $10K-$80K.

The becoming radioactive part - well - nothing you can do about that. Comes with the territory.
About the only avenue open to a guy like that afterward is a Government inspector's job for the trade in question - the pay for most of which more likely than not will more than make up for the radioactive part.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 61 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next