Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 13, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Possible Alien Bacteria Found On ISS Exterior
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 4:03 am 

The lack of a complete fossil record in no way impeaches the theory of evolution. Considering the slim odds of any particular critter becoming a fossil and then the slim odds of someone finding it, the fact that we have found as many as we have is a ringing endorsement of evolution. And when weighing the theory of evolution (loads of corroborating evidence) and alien seeding (zero evidence) I'll stick with evolution.

To drag this back OT, I still would bet the farm that the bacteria on the ISS is of earthly origin.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 4:10 am 

lexrageorge wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:
Pardon me but I didn't argue whether he did good science or not. All I said was he was prosecuted for teaching that the theory was 'fact'.

When I say "unproven science" I mean tested and verified by experimentation/observation as well as generally accepted. Like Quantum Wave theory currently is (not). It may turn out to be correct but there'd be quite a hubbub if proponents prematurely claimed it was "fact."

The order from the Pope read:

Quote:
To abandon completely...the opinion that the sun still stands at the center of the world and that the earth moves, and henceforth not to hold, teach, or defend it in any way whatever, in orally or in writing...

He was prosecuted for political reasons more so than violating the above order, an order which was also issued for political reasons. Had very little to do with the manner in which Galileo was using the word "fact".

If someone said Quantum Wave theory was a "fact", they would not be put under house arrest for the remainder of their life.
I didn't say he used the word "fact," which is why I put it in quotes.

Of course they wouldn't be put under house arrest nowadays, but it wasn't now it was then.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 7:13 am 

pixellany wrote:
...(Am I correct that the current model argues the expansion is accelerating?)
Yep. And that's why we need dark energy.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 3:06 pm 

madlabs wrote:
To drag this back OT, I still would bet the farm that the bacteria on the ISS is of earthly origin.

Yes, blown into the upper atmosphere by weather, then out into space by the solar wind.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 5:32 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
This post is a loathsome, offensive post, yet I can't look away......

just kidding. a little Seinfeld to lighten the mood.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 165 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9