Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 13, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Zenith sold out from under me......
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 4:22 pm 

reno219 wrote:
next time don't post it on the forum until it is in your hands. just sayin from my own experience...

Understood.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 10:12 pm 

forumuser wrote:
I have no idea what if any experience the lady had with selling stuff. If its from Craigslist I have had many "promises" of sincere sounding people coming over at a later time to buy and pick up an item that never show, never call. If she had an offer from another person who told her "I'll be there in 20 minutes" she jumped on a sure thing.Or the caller gave a much better offer so ethics went out the window.

reno219 wrote:
next time don't post it on the forum until it is in your hands. just sayin from my own experience...

Couldn't of said it better myself. Only post up CL ads if you like it, but are unable to get it.

Sometimes you'll see a radio on-line, maybe in your area, or you're ready to bid & another ARFer will post it up figuring they're doing a favor for the rest of us who might be interested.

Instead, now it brings more competition for You & the set. :roll: It happened to me on a *movie dial* console, so it's a "double edge sword," because...

"on thee other side of the coin"... ARFer, young Mr. Ian M. Gordon alerted me to a Very Rare Pilot plaskon.

ARFer *rougethistle* posted-up a Scott 18, yes an Eighteen :shock: , VERY-Very Rare. I never did Thank him either, so I'll do it now. Thank You rougethistle. :D

So "It all works out in the wash," :wink:
Lloyd

Nobody likes a Know-it-All, even “I Know” that.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:39 am 

On the flip side, last Sunday had a young man coming to see antique crosscut saws I have for sale.
Sunday AM, I got another person, request to come and buy, and I said sure but there is this guy said he's coming at 3 PM to look.
Neither of them showed up. :x

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 2:05 am 

westcoastjohn wrote:
On the flip side, last Sunday had a young man coming to see antique crosscut saws I have for sale.
Sunday AM, I got another person, request to come and buy, and I said sure but there is this guy said he's coming at 3 PM to look.
Neither of them showed up. :x

This is typical of Craigslist. I sell to the person who puts the cash in my hand first. I have had so many people swear they were coming to get an item and never show up.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 7:37 am 

There’s nothing unethical about any sale unless you break your word. If you are the seller and say first person here with cash gets it then any potential buyers who miss out have nothing to be mad at you for. I have done it both ways depending on the item. If I hold something for someone I only do it if they can get to me in a reasonable amount of time . I give them a time they need to be here and tell them if they are late the item will never be available to them.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:09 pm 

In regard to items on CL, Let Go, or Offerup I don't inquire about them uness I am ready to drop everything and rush over to buy it immediately. If you tell the seller that you will stop by the next day or even later that day it will very likely be gone.

Who knows..maybe the guy who got it had emailed her before you, got her address, but flaked out and never showed up so she offered it to you. While waiting for you to arrive the other guy finally shows up and she assumed he was you and sold it to him.

I have sold a fair amount of stuff on CL and a majority of the people who contact me are no-shows. I always give the buyer an exact time frame, an my convienence, to show up and buy it. If they don't show, the next guy who shows up with cash in hand gets it.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:43 pm 

That happened to me also one time, I was on my way over to make purchase after just securing the deal over the phone. Get half way there and I called again to let them know I'm 15 minutes away, Oh my husband sold a few minutes ago for $20 more than what you were going to pay. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 3:56 pm 

The sad part is when those things happen. The person who broke their word doesn’t care or think they did anything wrong. I have had so many of those same situations happen i almost expect it.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 8:32 pm 

I must be just lucky with Craigslist sales (and buying), I have never had any problems with people not showing up, or selling things that I agreed to buy. One tip is lots of communication. If I get a second or third caller for an item that I have a buyer's appointment for, I just tell them "someone will be here at 3 PM, if they do not buy it I will call you back". If the first buyer does not show up at 3 PM, I call them and say "someone else wants to buy it, are you still coming to get it?". If I got no answer, THEN is when I would move on to the second buyer. All of this seems routine to me, plain old customer service.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 5:49 pm 

It's tough for the sellers with all the flakes out there, I try to give people a day to e-mail back or set a time to get an item when I'm the seller, but sometimes that method takes weeks before someone actually shows. Also, there was a time when I was using text messages for selling an item, I actually responding to a second person thinking I was dealing with the first, and promised the item to two different people by mistake.

As a buyer, I can't always drop everything to go get something. One thing that's worked pretty well for me so far is to offer to pay a deposit for the item via Paypal, in exchange for the seller holding it for me until I can get there. Often they don't take me up on the offer, and say they will hold it for me anyway. I think more than anything it shows that I am actually really sincerely wanting to buy the item.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 9:22 pm 

Craigslist is definitely populated by their fair share of flakes, both buyers and sellers.

One problem from the seller's perspective is that buyers have lots of reasons to back out unannounced. They may lose interest in the item. Or they may find a similar item either cheaper or closer or from a friend or family member. Or any of a number of other things could happen. Therefore, I don't always count on a buyer actually following through unless they call or email me to tell me they are on their way. Even then, they could show up, take a look at the item and decide they don't want it for whatever reason (a perfectly valid and honest reaction from the buyer's perspective).

So, I can see why a seller would want to sell something to whomever shows up with the cash first. However, the seller should make that clear and say to the prospective buyer: "You can come by on Tuesday, but just so you know this item is being sold first come, first serve. So please call me before you make the trip.".

Instead, if the seller says "Sure, come by on Tuesday; the item will still be here", then the seller should indeed hold the item for the buyer.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 12:11 am 

Happened to me with a '70 440 dodge super bee. Went to see it in storage, seller wasn't there, storage folks didn't know it was for sale, had to call seller before they showed it to me. I told the seller tbat i'd take it and drive over and give him a deposit as it was a sunday and the bank wasn't open. He said don't worry about it. Got a call Sunday night saying that the car was sold and that the person he sold it to was ahead of me and saw it before I got there. I told him that that wasn't possible as the storage people called him to show it to me. He said it was sold and that was that... early lesson in ethics for me.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 2:57 am 

i've been in a couple situations where i was told exactly in as many words "first person to put the cash in my hand gets the item". when that was said, i made darn sure that i did my best to do it. been there, done that, and i certainly understand where a seller is coming from when a request like that is made.

on the other hand, when it is agreed upon that you and the seller have a deal that the "item is yours" and everything else is in line and worked out to complete the deal, the EVERYONE *should* keep their word.

that is simple and common courtesy on both parties.

on the other hand again, if the buyer fails to pay or does not show up at the worked out time, then all bets are off as in, "next please, it is now the next guy's".

...and that is probably why there are sellers who say, "first one to pay is the one to receive".

the first come first serve method or the handshake/promising methods are both acceptable ways of doing business, but as we all know, not all people share the same common courtesy as others.

it all boils down to what was said way up top in this thread, a man needs to keep his word.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:27 am 

reno219 wrote:

That stinks, but I too think you may have jinxed yourself by posting a pic before you had it in hand. Superstitious I may be, but I believe in the not counting chickens axiom. I once commissioned my first custom made tobacco pipe (for my birthday) I posted a pic from the carver when he finished it. I posted it on a pipe forum before receipt and don’t you know that was the only time a delivery was stolen from my porch. I think it was the mail carrier. BUM!

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 1:43 pm 

Sometimes I have multiple callers for an item placed on Craigslist. I'll actually write down the numbers and go in chronological order if there are no-shows. Do unto others...

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 2:16 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
"first person to put the cash in my hand gets the item"

Good point. This is the philosophy of successful buyers as well.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 2:34 pm 

On CL I tell the callers first here with the cash gets item. I'm not holding it to work through multiple callers in their order of calling. As always most callers don't show anyways, they kick the tires and make lo-ball offers.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2