Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Quackery at its finest.........
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 7:35 am 

Spotted this at the local healthy food store, while I was getting a Sandwich.....

Attachment:
r38792927562_73184c744d_o.jpg
r38792927562_73184c744d_o.jpg [ 119.42 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]

Attachment:
r27047479499_f247e46186_o.jpg
r27047479499_f247e46186_o.jpg [ 111.3 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]

Note the text at the bottom of the stick figures which is so light it's barely readable. I did a little work with GIMP to make it more legible:

Attachment:
ri27047479499_f247e46186_o.jpg
ri27047479499_f247e46186_o.jpg [ 114.78 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]

http://www.goldenwave.energy/

I guess audiophools aren't the only phools out there....

Post subject: Re: Quackery at its finest.........
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 9:22 am 

Have you tested it?

I was told Manuka honey was a good dressing for infected wounds. I blew it off and paid $100’s on prescription creams when I was dealing with a staph infection. About 6 months later I started working at a nursing home and guess what the doctors were dressing wounds with? MANUKA HONEY! I went out and bought some and now I’m infection free. It doesn’t taste too bad either haha.

I now test everything (within reason) before I blow it off as quackery.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 10:37 am 

Joseph Newton wrote:
Have you tested it?

I was told Manuka honey was a good dressing for infected wounds...

I now test everything (within reason) before I blow it off as quackery.

Honey, in general, kills bacteria:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/di ... verywhere/

If that EM blocking gizmo works, you shouldn't be receive cell phone calls, if one is in your possession. It should also rid EMI/RFI from swicthing supplies, from interfering your AM radio reception. And block the AM radio signals, too. Wouldn't have to bother building Faraday cages.

Never underestimate stupidity:

How about a cordless antistatic wristband ?
https://www.eevblog.com/2015/07/17/eevb ... ds-busted/

Still being sold at Staples:
https://www.staples.com/shaxon-wireless ... ct_1016852

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 11:44 am 

It doesn’t block EMF, it converts it to positive energy. Stop ruining my vibes.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 1:14 pm 

Joseph Newton wrote:

If it converts rap and hip-hop to 60's classics ... sign me up for a dozen of them ! :D

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 1:50 pm 

Joseph Newton wrote:

If you install it backwards, it converts the harmful EMF to negative energy.
Use as directed.

I'm comforted by the fact that it is constructed with stones, metals, trees, and plants. :roll:

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 2:16 pm 

Well, it does come from the land where, according to their own TV commercial, the best nuts are. :D

Larry

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 2:26 pm 

you stick that right in the middle of your forehead. That and a tin foil hat, you will be protected.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 2:53 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
you stick that right in the middle of your forehead. That and a tin foil hat, you will be protected.

Don't do it! That device is a targetting disk for alien craft and by placing it on your forehead you WILL be abducted!

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 3:32 pm 

threeneurons wrote:

That's a blog entry, not a study. Most studies involving the antimicrobial effects of honey have been small and/or badly done, and the results, while often
expressed optimistically, have at best been inconsistent. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488250/.

It's true that Manuka honey seems to have some effect. From the source I've cited:

"There are various licensed medical-grade honeys, which have been tested for antibacterial properties and screened for contaminating pesticides [37]. The most commonly used honey is Manuka honey, produced by bees imbibing the nectar of the native New Zealand Manuka bush. Manuka honey has increased antibacterial effect compared to some other types of honey [38] and has demonstrated antibacterial efficacy at dilutions of 15–30%, whilst most other honeys can only be minimally diluted (>80%)...."

But when investigators tested two groups of dialysis patients for infection rates at the catheter sites, one group who got an antibiotic and a control group that got honey, they found that the infection rate in the honey group was slightly higher (although not statistically significantly) than in the antibiotic group.

Nor is honey as wondrously safe as you might think from the rapturous prose about its healing powers. It has to be processed and sterilized, not used off the shelf from the grocery store. Again, from the study above:

"It is important to note that honey is not without a risk profile. Honey can be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum if processed incorrectly. However, sterilisation with gamma-radiation alleviates this risk [64]. Very rarely, people can also be allergic to honey, with reported cases of anaphylaxis [65]. In addition, methylglyoxal, one of the key antimicrobial components of Manuka honey, has been demonstrated to exert a direct cytotoxic effect on diabetic wound healing....":

I've reported on medicine for several decades and spent a fair amount of time researching alternatives to conventional medicine. A lot of it is worthy of careful investigation, and I'd include honey in that category because it does seem to have promising properties that if isolated might give us ammunition when, not if, our antibiotic arsenal runs dry. But there's also a lot of BS and wishful thinking out there....

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 4:39 pm 

Obviously targeted to middle to older aged folks who are health conscious especially with the earthy feel (and deep pockets at $29.99). They would sell a ton of them to Millennials if they would just put the word "sustainable" on the package.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 5:01 pm 

Hahaha! That is an instant classic! More power to them in a way, a fool and their money being soon parted and all.

rocketeer wrote:
Well, it does come from the land where, according to their own TV commercial, the best nuts are. :D
Larry

We do love our nuts here in CA. I live in an area where the hippies interbred with the rednecks back in the 60's creating HipNecks, of which I am one. I like guns, chainsaws AND organic gardening. I hug every tree... before I cut it down with my Stihl! :lol:

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 5:30 pm 

Hmmm, interesting, no where on the packaging are there instructions how or where to apply this "device" to receive (not) its benefits :roll:

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 7:16 pm 

I think it only works if you sleep with it on one of those magnetic beds. :)

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 10:46 pm 

Its outright amazing to me the sheer number of folks I've met, even some whom are rather smart who are just absolutely petrified of anything that generates RF. I've tried over and over again to explain the differences to them between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation but nothing ever sticks with them. If people come over and see my 70's era microwave I've had at least one or two people ask if I'm scared of using the thing, as if every time I turn it on its going to sit there emitting cancer waves. When I inform them that they should worry more about the heating effects of their fireplaces they don't get it.

I find that just like the high end audiophool crap that the high end food industry is much the same, ripe with products that claim miraculous curative powers of some XXX product....

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 10:53 pm 

Same thing for me. I had a wart and could not shake it despite Rx$$. The old woman next door kept telling me to rub a fresh potato slice on it. I finally acquiesced and did this 2x/day for about a month. Wart: gone, never returned.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 11:09 pm 

"Crafted with unconditional love in California" Well, that's all she wrote, jack!

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 12:38 am 

Isn't rubber or plastic an effective protection from 'EMF' (electromotive force, measured in volts)? Insulators have worked for me thus far. Gotta love snake oil.

-Pat

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 12:55 am 

SmoothOscillator wrote:
Same thing for me. I had a wart and could not shake it despite Rx$$. The old woman next door kept telling me to rub a fresh potato slice on it. I finally acquiesced and did this 2x/day for about a month. Wart: gone, never returned.

Does that work with Plantar warts? I have one that's been frozen, chemically treated, surgically excised, etc and still keeps coming back.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 1:46 am 

Alas, if only there were a federal government trade agency or commission entrusted with protecting the public from scam artists and snake oil salesmen. Oh well.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next