Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best way to sell a collection of Radio's
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:15 am 

Another factor in all these "easy solutions" is that most any auction house will also charge pick-up and transportation charges, IN ADDITION TO their modest 30-40% commission. Most all those solutions offered are virtual "give aways", and, if you're simply wanting to move on, those are certainly ways of doing it.

However, if you're wanting "fair market value", using ebay/paypal/UPS is your best option.

You use their (Ebay's) shipping "estimator". In the listing, you insert an additional "handling" charge equal to about 10% of the shipping. This is to cover packing/materials.

When the auction is completed, take all the items and shipping information for each, to the local UPS store and they will pack/deliver. You get your auction proceeds and shipping costs back, minus their commissions of around 15-20% total, when you take your $ out of paypal.

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 1:35 pm 

Most wives of deceased collectors are mostly concerned about liquidating their husbands collections with the least amount of hassle while getting a "fair enough" return rather then trying to maximize and squeeze every little penny out of it. Ebay, though it can be the most profitable, can also be the biggest hassle and for many reasons which I don't have the time to go into right now. The key is to sell everything at once and be done with it.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 9:27 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
Most wives of deceased collectors are mostly concerned about liquidating their husbands collections with the least amount of hassle while getting a "fair enough" return rather then trying to maximize and squeeze every little penny out of it. Ebay, though it can be the most profitable, can also be the biggest hassle and for many reasons which I don't have the time to go into right now. The key is to sell everything at once and be done with it.

The more effort one puts into liquidation, the larger the return, and the opposite is just as true. If she wants the least hassle (and money), an auctioneers truck to pick up, and then mail her a check would seem to be the best route.

OTOH, if she feels that Stan would have liked to see his sets sold for the best return, eBaying them individually, and then maybe taking them to a UPS store to pack and ship, would be the ticket. Her only other effort would be to take multiple pictures of each set, write a description, and then post the auction or BIN.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:45 pm 

Indiana Radios wrote:
Here's my suggestion ... 2. You could donate Stan's collection to the Michigan Antique Radio Club and use the assessed value of the collection as a tax write off. This way the club could auction off the collection and keep all of the proceeds in order to help pay for future radio swap meets, awards, the publication, and other expenses. Have members from the club asses the total value of the collection. They should know better then any one what Stan's collection is worth...
I chose this route for not only a number of reasons that have been explained in other posts but also as a demonstration to my wife what to do with all the radios should I leave first.

You and your tax accountant will need IRS form #8283 and form #8283I (the instructions). These can be found at:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8283.pdf

There is also an informative form #8283I

One thing I can stress as a 55 year collector, although it appears like such a disposal avenue takes the collection away from the main stream enthusiasts, can I say bargain hunters, it does not. It may be that pieces of the collection could become part of the Museums collection. As said, if not a Museum, a collecting society will monetizes the collection and support its collector outreach activities.

I might add too, in working with the Museum I have never met a better group of fellows that were so conscientious about not only the artifacts they were receiving but to my property. Everyone stayed together and wrapped all the items as if they were their own. What made me feel proud was that there were kind remarks made as to items never seen before. A sort of a verbal tribute to the efforts I made to gather the unusual over many years.

Indiana Radios wrote:
The key is to sell everything at once and be done with it.
well worth repeating.

Only your tax accountant could advise as to auction liquidation or 501c3 donation is more beneficial for the estate.

GL

Chas

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:43 pm 

Thank You all for the wonderful advice. These radio's were his life and I am still unsure of what I will do. It is not about the money or storage since his man-cave is where all the radio's and tubes are kept. I do not plan on moving so they can stay here but some of them are so special that maybe they should be enjoyed by someone who would appreciate the beauty of them. I am going to take some time to make a decision about it. He enjoyed the forum so much and it would make him happy that all of you help make the right decision.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2