Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 17, 2017 1:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Concret leveling
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 6:23 pm 

I have an 8x24 concrete pad behind my house that has sunk perhaps 3 inches on the side next to my foundation. Now rain tends to run toward the foundation rather than away. I'm told that a contractor can inject concrete under the pad to raise it. Has anyone had experience with this as to costs and risks? Thanks.
-DS

Post subject: Re: Concret leveling
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 6:51 pm 

Long time ago I lived in a Townhouse and they injected whatever under the sinking sidewalk.
Except the made the whole sidewalk twice or even more heavy and the sidewalk kept sinking with all the extra weight.

Your problem is maybe the site prep is really bad and it wwill keep sinking

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 7:07 pm 

Personally I'd bust it up, inspect the footing, and start over. I just haven't heard much good from anyone that's had that concrete jacking done. Especially when you have frost in the winter.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 8:13 pm 

That job is too small for mud-jacking. It can be fixed by hand.
You didn't say how old the sidewalk is, but let's say the house is about 25 years old. When they backfilled against the foundation wall, hopefully there was a drainage pipe laid down around the perimeter and then drain rock and then loose fill. If that is all in good shape, then dig down so you can get a pry bar under the slab. With a bar and some blocks, you can tip it up and maybe stand it up on edge so you can get some sandy fill in there.

If you have negative slope there, where the grade is down towards the house, there will need to be more work done to create a swale about 6 feet out from the wall.

Make sure you downspouts are dumping water away from the foundations. Modern systems have a solid pipe laid around the perimeter that feeds out to a drain, either a storm drain out by the street, or a ditch.
Old houses will have downspouts directed into the old foundation weeping tiles. If you have that, pull the downspouts out of there and extend them with elbows to several feet away from the house. Or lay a solid pipe for them, out to a drain system.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 8:32 pm 

DocSlop wrote:
I have an 8x24 concrete pad behind my house that has sunk perhaps 3 inches on the side next to my foundation. Now rain tends to run toward the foundation rather than away. I'm told that a contractor can inject concrete under the pad to raise it. Has anyone had experience with this as to costs and risks? Thanks.
-DS

Pictures?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 8:54 pm 

DocSlop wrote:
-DS

Assuming your 8 x 24 foot slab is 4 inches thick then the whole slab weighs 9500 pounds. And lifting one side of it you will have to lift 4750 pounds. Not exactly something you can lift with a pry bar. Most likely if you could lift one edge of it.. it will break in the middle from its own weight?

The today cost of concrete being around $100 usd per yard you need a bit under three yards. So other than labor of breaking up and getting rid of the old slab replacement looks like the way to go. Get someone who will compact the dirt under it properly so it doesn't happen again. Probably best to taper the new slab outward by 3 inches.
Good Luck
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 8:55 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
... then dig down so you can get a pry bar under the slab. With a bar and some blocks, you can tip it up and maybe stand it up on edge so you can get some sandy fill in there.

...an 8x24 concrete pad?

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 8:58 pm 

We have a company here in CT that specialize in that.My friend was going to have it done but did not have the cash for it.He gave me a book they gave him.It explains how they get the job done.It was very interesting.

https://www.connecticutbasementsystems. ... fting.html

https://www.connecticutbasementsystems.com/

More likely there is other companies around the country that do the same work.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 10:17 pm 

Mike Toon wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:
... then dig down so you can get a pry bar under the slab. With a bar and some blocks, you can tip it up and maybe stand it up on edge so you can get some sandy fill in there.

...an 8x24 concrete pad?

A couple of long, long, long, bars and some railroad ties :D

The only way to do a permanent repair is to break it up, put a good base down, compact it and pour a new slab. You can have it jacked up but it will continue to settle. Mud jacking or poly fill is temporary, just ask them how long they will guarantee it.

Dave

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 12:51 am 

After the driveway concrete in front of our garage settled about 3 inches, we had it mud-jacked back up level with the garage floor.
That was about 12 years ago. Still hanging in there. It was reasonable. Couple hundred dollars.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 1:42 am 

Mike Toon wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

...an 8x24 concrete pad?

Well, it's in sections approximately 8 x 24' - I think there are 8 sections. The 4 that are away from the house are okay. The 4 that are closest to the house have sunk. The A/C unit and a set of concrete steps to the back door sit on top of them. The house was built in 1962 and I'd guess the drains around the foundations are rusted away by now. I already try to route water from the rain gutters well away from the house. And, I'm in Michigan, so of course there's a freeze/thaw cycle. As for prying things up by myself, I've been dealing with sciatica; I don't think I want to subject my back to heavy lifting of any sort.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 1:45 am 

WPPCProductions wrote:
We have a company here in CT that specialize in that.My friend was going to have it done but did not have the cash for it.He gave me a book they gave him.It explains how they get the job done.It was very interesting.

Thank you for the links.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 2:07 am 

DocSlop wrote:
Mike Toon wrote:
westcoastjohn wrote:

...an 8x24 concrete pad?

Well, it's in sections approximately 8 x 24' - I think there are 8 sections. The 4 that are away from the house are okay. The 4 that are closest to the house have sunk. The A/C unit and a set of concrete steps to the back door sit on top of them. The house was built in 1962 and I'd guess the drains around the foundations are rusted away by now. I already try to route water from the rain gutters well away from the house. And, I'm in Michigan, so of course there's a freeze/thaw cycle. As for prying things up by myself, I've been dealing with sciatica; I don't think I want to subject my back to heavy lifting of any sort.
Sorry I even suggested prying it up, but was picturing a sunken sidewalk.
Right, a house built in 1962 will probably need some drainage work done. If the drains are concrete tile, they might be still there, but maybe plugged with silt or clay. A guy with a drain camera, a snake, can explore the drain and then you will know for sure.
I think mud-jacking will work in some cases, where the subsoil is solid. But we suspect that there will be digging to do there before you fix the slab. Mud-jacking now would just make the drainage repair harder in the future. So paying someone to bust up some of the concrete will probably be your best option.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:19 am 

DocSlop wrote:
WPPCProductions wrote:

Thank you for the links.

No problem.

I would call the local authorities for sidewalks along side of the street.Back in 2012 the town came around and replaced all the unlevel ,cracked sidewalks including a section in front of my house.