Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PayPal makes me madder than a ol’ wet hen
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 11:14 pm 

Bought a laptop for $670, seller refunded my money because he didn’t have the item.(Ebay) I went to another store and bought the same laptop for $675 about a hour later. I didn’t realize that PayPal can take up to TWO WEEKS to refund your money so now my account is overdrafted and I’ve already had $75 in overdraft fees ($25 per transaction that overdrafts). It’s been 5 days and PayPal still hasn’t given me my money. Calling them was about as useful as talking to a wall.

Why is it that when I get a refund at a brick and mortar store, the money is back in my account in 2 days but PayPal takes weeks?

Post subject: Re: PayPal makes me madder than a ol’ wet hen
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 1:58 am 

Joseph Newton wrote:
Why is it that when I get a refund at a brick and mortar store, the money is back in my account in 2 days but PayPal takes weeks?

I suppose they make money on the "float". That's "why". No mystery there. There's no technical reason why they can't refund your money as fast as they take it - instantly.

Come to think of it the real question is, Why is it that hens get mad if they get wet??

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=637659

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 3:46 am 

Ted is right. They enjoy ripping us off "on the float." American business loves taking
advantage of we consumers and the whole Paypal/ebay cabal is among the most practiced. They
drag their feet to collect millions in interest while they hold on to your money. Meanwhile you pay
overdraft fees to local banksters. And yet when you make a charge the amount finds its way INSTANTLY into their account. They could play fair if they wanted to but they don't, they won't and they don't care.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 4:20 am 

If your bank account balance was so low, it seems like it was the wrong time to be buying anything non-essential.....

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 7:01 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
If your bank account balance was so low, it seems like it was the wrong time to be buying anything non-essential.....

I had $1300 and spent $670 = $630 left over. I have a $300 check I cashed today and have another $900 check arriving Thursday. If I return a item to Walmart (for example) the money is back in my account in 2 days max.

My original thinking was the refund would be in my account within 2 days or at least in time for the second payment to clear on Monday when it shipped. PayPal has had my money for 6 days now. It’s my damn money, I want it now.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 7:42 am 

Quote:

A justifiable complaint about PayPal shouldn't invite speculative, ungracious criticism, even if well-intended.

Many people find laptops essential for business or school. A $750-class laptop is not a high-end luxury depending on needs. There are good reasons for buying one at this time of year.
PayPal optimizes their cash flow for maximum profit, and with absolutely no altruism for its users. OK, avoid them when you can.

Apparent condescension, even if unwitting, presumes knowledge of the OP's needs vs. his resources.
Let's stick to radio stuff and discussions of shippers and sales sites, and desist from uninformed intimations of fiscal irresponsibility. Maybe the OP has uncollected receivables, or hoards gold, or not. Having a low cash balance in an account at a particular time doesn't tell the whole story and isn't grist for speculation.

Being relatively well-off grants no entitlement to make gratuitous comment regarding the resources, needs, and financial management skills of others. Such remarks are, in my opinion, unseemly.

I'm glad ARF encompasses members across the social, educational and economic spectra, all united by this hobby. Let's end self-validation via elitist remarks... Validation by showing great restorations earns a whole lot more admiration in this venue.

OTH

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 8:12 am 

Very eloquently stated, OTH. I could not agree more.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 12:20 pm 

Philip Colston wrote:
Very eloquently stated, OTH. I could not agree more.

+1

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 12:30 pm 

Of course I’m poor. I live in a small town in Indiana where the family median income is around $28,000. The thread is about PayPal and their horrible policies. I won’t be using them from now on. I’ll pay extra for something on Amazon instead, if it prevents me from having to use PayPal.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 3:49 pm 

+1

"There but by the grace of God go I."

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 4:07 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:

I can't believe you said that!

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 4:16 pm 

OTH wrote:
Quote:

A justifiable complaint about PayPal shouldn't invite speculative, ungracious criticism, even if well-intended.

Many people find laptops essential for business or school. A $750-class laptop is not a high-end luxury depending on needs. There are good reasons for buying one at this time of year.
PayPal optimizes their cash flow for maximum profit, and with absolutely no altruism for its users. OK, avoid them when you can.

Apparent condescension, even if unwitting, presumes knowledge of the OP's needs vs. his resources.
Let's stick to radio stuff and discussions of shippers and sales sites, and desist from uninformed intimations of fiscal irresponsibility. Maybe the OP has uncollected receivables, or hoards gold, or not. Having a low cash balance in an account at a particular time doesn't tell the whole story and isn't grist for speculation.

Being relatively well-off grants no entitlement to make gratuitous comment regarding the resources, needs, and financial management skills of others. Such remarks are, in my opinion, unseemly.

I'm glad ARF encompasses members across the social, educational and economic spectra, all united by this hobby. Let's end self-validation via elitist remarks... Validation by showing great restorations earns a whole lot more admiration in this venue.

OTH

+1

Very well reasoned and written about a known self-aggrandizer...

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 4:56 pm 

I am fortunate to be financially secure and retired but I well remember my grad student days when watching funds carefully wasn't just a hobby :) Going through an experience like this was a good thing for me. I remember thinking to myself that once grad school was over I would never be in a situation where I closely monitored my checking account balance because I HAD to do so but I am glad I went through that time because it was an important life experience.

I don't expect my daughter will experience this financial situation so I have spent a lot of time discussing financial behavior with her since the time she was very little. One of her early life lessons was in kindergarten when the book order forms went out and I set a low budget and a maximum of two items and I did this primarily because there were a lot of kids in her class whose parents would have to stretch to buy one or two books and I neither wanted her to stick out nor to develop an attitude of life being too easy. I am confident that little lessons like these have contributed to her current attitude and responsible behavior.

I worked hard and made sacrifices to get where I am but there were also some definite instances of luck from being in the right place at the right time and most people who are "comfortable" today were lucky in either birth, life events, or a combination of both and if honest will admit that fact. There are many good and deserving people who have less than they should in large part due to not being as lucky as others.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:01 pm 

I"m not poor but could be caught in the same predicament. I keep a small but reasonable amount in my "working" account and refill it when necessary. Maybe it was wrong to assume that the OP could not afford the item he bought.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:13 pm 

It's possible that the delay could be due to the nature of how payments clear the banking system. I'm assuming the OP was having PayPal refunds directly deposited into his bank account or debit card, while also having payments deducted from the same.

Still, 2 weeks is excessive, especially if the OP directed PayPal just to simply credit his PayPal account instead. It's a case where their customer service could have been more proactive rather than just treating it as not their problem. It's not at all obvious to most folks that the funds from a guaranteed refund would not be available to use for a purchase from the same merchant (PayPal). Very few people will feel good about throwing $75 into the toilet and getting nothing in return, no matter how comfortable they are.

And none of us have nearly enough information to make any smug judgment about how the OP manages his spending.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:33 pm 

I love the forum, but woe is the person who steps out of line. "Dog Pile!"

I'm not defending anyone here, the comment was in poor form, not to conjure a double entendre; in fact, I rather appreciate the self-policing aspect of this forum, Im just dreading that day I wind up on the bottom of the pile.

Ok, back to thrashing PayPal for being evil now.

- Scott

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:34 pm 

Dennis H. wrote:
I"m not poor but could be caught in the same predicament.
Likewise.

We always keep the amount of money in the general operating checking account low to avoid certain risks. After all, that account has certain businesses that deduct automatic payments from it (we've seen how well companies do at securing information the last few years), it is an account that "earns" ZERO (no reason to have more in there than is needed), and that account number is on the face of every check that has ever been written on it (that kind of makes it an automatic target).

At certain times of the month I also might have plenty of money in that account to buy a $700 item once but not buy a $700 item while someone is tying up $700 because of a failure to refund money to my account.

It kind of reminds me of the birth of our second child. I paid the WHOLE cost at the hospital before my wife checked out after the birth. That was "supposed" to provide us with a discount. Then I was to bill insurance myself for the reimbursement (the discount was based on saving the hospital the cost of billing insurance).

Well the day after we got home I submitted the bill to insurance. Then I get a response from insurance that they have already, "paid the service provider." What? !!! :evil:

That's right. After I paid in full, the hospital STILL submitted it to insurance and got paid AGAIN before I could even get the bill into the insurance company. Then I had to fight with the hospital for 3 months to get MY MONEY back! Excuses: Our computers are down, we are moving the office, so-and-so is not available right now, etc. I was about ready to take them to small claims court when they finally decided to fork over MY MONEY.

Oh, and the song-and-dance about a discount? Yeah that was a lie too. They billed both the insurance company and me the exact same amount. There was NO discount in the amount they billed me.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:49 pm 

Joseph Newton - You may want to contact your bank and explain the problem you had with an eBay purchase and PayPal and see if they will reverse the overdraft fees. I've had a few items in the past that were returned in error and after contacting the bank, the overdraft fees were reversed. - Mark

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 6:33 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:

It would be irresponsible for me to not try to help peopke reject the paycheck to paycheck lifestyle.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 8:48 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Don Cavey wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:

It would be irresponsible for me to not try to help peopke reject the paycheck to paycheck lifestyle.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 40 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next