Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PayPal makes me madder than a ol’ wet hen
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 10:23 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
I can't believe you said that!

LOL...I agree...leaving me speechless. John (OTH) stated it eloquently.

Last edited by Scott on Dec Tue 05, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 10:34 pm 

I avoid such problems by having Paypal use my Amex card as primary and my bank as 2ndary..
Easy.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 11:07 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
If your bank account balance was so low, it seems like it was the wrong time to be buying anything non-essential.....

Exactly my initial, and present, reaction. And another, "Well said" to OTH.

Not in the same situation as the OP, but as a long-time user (probably approaching 10,000 transactions) of PayPal/eBay my wife and I should have not just grey hair, but no hair as a result of their often capricious actions.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 11:49 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
FStephenMasek wrote:
Don Cavey wrote:
"FStephenMasek"]If your bank account balance was so low, it seems like it was the wrong time to be buying anything non-essential.....
It would be irresponsible for me to not try to help peopke reject the paycheck to paycheck lifestyle.

I can.
I recently had lunch with Stephen and his wife, and they are very nice folks. That said, they are in a bit of a different world than most of us, and employ their philosophy to promote a debt free existence, which they have, but the rest of us do not, and probably will not, throughout most of our lifetimes. I think the disconnect here is that he simply doesn't recognize the unwillingness or inability to change the financial lifestyle -which includes debt- most folks have.

He's certainly free to express his opinion here, and others can express theirs about him... :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Buying something with cash that you have saved is not irresponsible. Putting it on a credit card might be, but that's not the case here.

If you're not in the habit of over drawing your account, the bank will probably reverse the fees. It's free to ask.

About refunds, I found this:
If you paid via credit card or debit card, PayPal will credit the funds back to your card. While PayPal sends the money back immediately, your card company may take up to 48 hours to claim the funds. After that, they allow themselves up to 30 days to apply the credit to your account. How long this portion takes is up to your card issuer. However, most card issuers are very understanding about credits and will apply them much, much sooner. For more information on how long it takes your card issuer to apply credits, please contact your card issuer.

If you paid via a bank transfer, PayPal will place the funds into your PayPal account balance. If the payment was refunded within 3-5 business after you made the payment, you may not see it placed in your balance immediately. This is because the bank transfer is still processing in the background (PayPal will often pay your merchant in advance while we wait for the bank transfer). As soon as it finishes processing, it will be placed in your balance.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 2:46 am 

Mr. Masek’s attempted rebuttal, plus Fifties’ apology for him, compel me to post again, though with much reluctance. He wrote:
Quote:
“It would be irresponsible for me to not try to help peopke (sic) reject the paycheck to paycheck lifestyle.”

My translation: “I just wanna help, and you certainly need my help; I can’t control myself”. This mindset can be difficult to deal with, especially if you dare disagree.
(I certainly don't dispute encouraging personal responsibility, but don't like overweening arrogance.)

Uncontrolled self-righteousness explains why some people enter politics – they feel compelled to bend us to their wills via legislation and taxation, whether we’ll like it or not. Alternatively, others are very challenging, meddlesome employers. I’ve had a few as clients. FSM’s “apology” above tells me he just doesn’t get it, nor know when to quit. He really needs to step into the shoes of others for some real life perspectives.

On-line financial advice forums elsewhere might well serve his uncontrollable proselytizing impulses. Mr. Masek does apparently nice restorations and should stick to that on ARF.

The other posts above regarding PayPal, etc. are all appreciated and I certainly hope Joseph Newton is made whole and enjoying his nice new laptop.

May mutual respect and good manners prevail in all our posts.

John, aka “OTH”

ps - Thanks to all who agreed with my sentiments; it's great to know most in our community share these values. Dissent is welcomed, always, though I hope we can put this thread to bed.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 4:32 am 

OTH wrote:
Mr. Masek’s attempted rebuttal, plus Fifties’ apology for him,

My post was not meant as either a defense nor an apology for him, but simply an attempt at an explanation of his way of thinking.

And BTW, I agreed with your first post, lambasting him.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:09 am 

OTH wrote:

May mutual respect and good manners prevail in all our posts.

John, aka “OTH”

Hear hear.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:28 am 

OTH, you expressed it well, more so than I could. I'm still stunned by what went on here.

Joseph Newton, no need for self-depreciating on your part. Just ignore those comments. Not worth your time my friend.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:28 am 

Guys, I was a poor kid due to my parents making lousy choices regarding employment and spending, and have been poor as an adult for similar reasons (plus things such as the S&L collapse, something which ultimately became quite profitable for me). I have lived paycheck to paycheck. I rejected that baloney and debt slavery quite a few years ago and want to help others avoid such a lousy lifestyle.

It is a fact that nobody, save for the very few born with no legs or such, needs to be poor in the USA. We do not have castes, kings, or such to keep anyone down. One of the reasons I moved to California, and still like it here, is that nobody here asks such silly questions as "where did you attend high school?" That is a common question in St. Louis, and it determines if people want to do business with or interact with others. The sellers and debt pushers are quite good at telling people what they "have to" have. Just say no.

Paypal provides a convenience, and they make their own rules. Nobody has to use them. It seems that upsetting customers is not good business, but it is also rather obvious that they please dramatically more people than they upset.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:40 am 

Public whining is always an invitation to public whipping.

I think Dave Ramsey aptly named such occurrences, as installments of "stupid tax", and I suspect the OP probably won't repeat that type of financial transaction, at least not in the near future.

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:59 am 

Stephen, I didn’t take offense from your comment. I eat modest home cooked meals, drive a 12 year old car and the only utility I pay is water, electricity, and a internet fee. My home is paid for and so is the very small lot it sits on. I don’t have any debts besides a $500 balance on a credit card that will be gone by the end of the month. The way I live, I usually am able to keep $1000 in my savings, which is more than my parents ever had in a bank combined when I was growing up. I make $1400 a month, that leaves little room for accounting error.

I had $1300 to make a $670 purchase, the laptop was needed for my nephew to have a decent laptop for school. I expected (mistakenly) that PayPal functioned like every other business and processed refunds in a timely manner. PayPal has had my money for 7 days now. The laptop was needed ASAP, waiting an additional week (or longer) to make an order just because of PayPal rubs me the wrong way. All I ask is that they refund my money in a decent time frame, now they have lost a customer. My PayPal account will be closed soon.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 10:06 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:

Paypal provides a convenience, and they make their own rules. Nobody has to use them.

If only.
Try listing something for sale on eBay and offering any other payment method and see how far you get.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 12:35 pm 

Joseph Newton wrote:

I had $1300 to make a $670 purchase, the laptop was needed for my nephew to have a decent laptop for school.

Certainly a wonderful and selfless thing to be doing for your nephew. The spirit of the season.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 2:34 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
Public whining is always an invitation to public whipping.

I think Dave Ramsey aptly named such occurrences, as installments of "stupid tax", and I suspect the OP probably won't repeat that type of financial transaction, at least not in the near future.

At least not speak of it here.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 10:10 pm 

First of all, unless the money you paid Paypal is still in the seller's Paypal account, and if he's already pulled that money to his bank, then Paypal WILL wait until they pull the money back out until they refund you. Even then, it just goes into your Paypal account, and you have to transfer it back to your bank, which takes another 2-3 days.

And, your bank doesn't care why you are overdrawing your bank account. They will charge you a fee for each overdraft, regardless of the reason. My bank charges $35 per overdraft........

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 10:21 pm 

Larry H wrote:

And, your bank doesn't care why you are overdrawing your bank account. They will charge you a fee for each overdraft, regardless of the reason. My bank charges $35 per overdraft........

I've had them reverse charges in the past. As long as one's checking account history displays no previous overdrafts for a given period, they may cancel a fee. Never hurts to ask; the worst they can do is say no.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 3:03 am 

Paypal's bad-actor tendencies invite government regulation. I make no assumptions about my Paypal account, but then I never make any large purchases with it. As others have said, it doesn't take days for Paypal to move money around. Only seconds.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 3:51 am 

The OP did nothing wrong. Again, it's not obvious why PayPal would not issue a credit and settle the transactions using the pending credit. And two weeks is unreasonable for issuing a refund and, again, not obvious.

Banks do sometimes waive overdraft fees, especially if the customer has a clean record for a number of years. Ignore the critics that tell you otherwise.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 5:50 am 

I got my money back, it’s complete. Thread done.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next