Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with ARF "Search" feature
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 4:43 pm 

ATTN: Alan Voorhees
Hi Alan,
Yesterday I tried to use the ARF "Search" feature, which has always worked well for me in the past. Instead of confining the search to the ARF, it instead displayed an entire Google search. Today I tried again with the same result. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Post subject: Re: Problem with ARF "Search" feature
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 4:55 pm 

Poston Drake wrote:
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
I just tried the Google Search of AntiqueRadios.com using the forums search page and got a search that was just of AntiqueRadios.com (I search for the term Hammarlund).

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:14 pm 

Hi Curtis,
I am clicking on "Search" button at the top of the ARF pages. Instead of my search being confined to the ARF (as it always has been in the past), it is displaying an entire Google search.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 5:30 pm 

Hi Poston,

The Search button at the top first searches the site (ARF) and then continues to the entire net after listing any hits it finds on ARF. That's the way it always works.

I'm wondering if the term you searched for in this case just didn't find any pertinent ARF hits.

I rarely use the Search at the bottom of the page, as it's much fussier to get useful info from.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 6:06 pm 

ozaka site:antiqueradios.com
returns three results on arf... nothing else.

Poston, this is usually caused by a corrupt cookie.
Clear you Browser's cache and cookies.
+ Delete 'all forum cookies' located at the bottom of the forum index page.

Firefox example below.

If that doesn't work.
Flush your DNS (google how to).
Greg.

oh... Ozarka was misspelled on purpose... :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

There are two search options. The top box is a site search done by Google, just a regular Google search confined to this domain. It uses AI to determine relevance and ranking of results.

Under that is the forum search that looks for matches in the database. This is often harder to find things because there is no ranking of the results.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 6:37 pm 

Thanks everyone for your responses. But I am still having problems.

First of all, I am well familiar with the ARF "Search" feature, having used it for many years with no problems. I did try the suggestions by "egg" (Greg) regarding clearing cache and cookies (a process I am also familiar with) but with no improvement. Whenever I click on the top box for an ARF site search it continues to display a broad Google search, not one confined only to this domain as it always did in the past for me.

As far as I know, nothing has changed with my server.

NOTE: I have not yet followed the additional suggestion by Greg to flush my DNS, as I am not quite sure how to do so. Perhaps that is the solution--if so I will read up on google on how to do it.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 7:10 pm 

I think a new cookie is being set because one is not logged out when clearing browser cookies.

Clear the cookies within the site at bottom of index page, then logout.

Close browser, I suggest reboot, open browser go to cookie management and search for ARF cookies, delete. Then go to browser history, FWIK ARF history should be selectable, delete all ARF. Go to login (saved logins), delete all ARF. Sometimes there are multiple logins. Need to start fresh.

Close browser, reboot, restart browser go to ARF login. Browser should ask to save login, do so. ARF should now work normally.

In every instance that I have had ARF issues including page zoom for ARF have been cookie issues, along with history and saved logins.

I use Firefox 57, you will have to do the discovery to manage those hidden files in your favored browser.

By selecting only ARF history, cookies, logins all cookies that that make using other sites convenient will be left alone.

Note this works for other sites too. For example your getting relatively the same sort if items coming for searches in: YouTube, ebay, Etsy, Home Depot, Amazon, etc. These all look at your stuff stored in the browser.

As collectors we rely on sites like ebay, one would be quite surprised at what pops up when the ebay search engine has no cookies or history to work with...

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 11:10 pm 

And ensure the google search box in the results has the delimiter of site:antiqueradios.com in it. If not, you have a redirect (malware) and need to clean that out.

Attachment:
Googlese.jpg
Googlese.jpg [ 91.86 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]

eBay, facebook, google, yahoo, AOL and paypal are favorite targets of redirect scripts.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2017 7:15 am 
Site Admin

At the bottom of the forum main index page, on the left, is a link Delete All Froum Cookies. Click that.