Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Contact Lens Experience with a Good Doctor
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 7:30 pm 

I wear hard contacts because I have "moldable" corneas, which means that they change all the time such that soft contacts wouldn't hold good vision. The other day one of the contacts broke. I called my optometrist for a replacement. The receptionist checked my chart and told me that my prescription had just expired. So I'd need to come in for a checkup before I could get a new contact. She said the next available appointment was Jan. 31.

When I told her that was unacceptable, she said I could get an appointment with their new doctor next week and it would take another 5-7 days to get the contact. Thanksgiving was coming up and I was going to be without good vision. I told her, "Look, I'm very happy with my prescription. It's not going to change. And if it does, I'll pay the $100 for the new contact. I'll set the appointment, but for now I just need a new contact. What can we do to make that happen?"

She replied, "I'm afraid that's all we can do. I'm sorry."

I blurted out, "Well, I guess I'm just going to have to Superglue my contact back together."

RECEPTIONIST: "Oh, no, Mr. Macrohenry, you don't want to do that. There's all kinds of things that could go wrong."

ME: "Well, I'm pretty good with glue."

RECEPTIONIST: "Mr. Macrohenry, please don't do that."

We set the appointment for after Thanksgiving and ended our phone call. A half our later she called me back.

RECEPTIONIST: " I just spoke with your doctor. He doesn't want you gluing your contact together. If you order the contact today, we can have it on Monday and you can pick it up directly at the lab. He said there's a 30 day warranty on the lens so if it's not the right prescription you wouldn't have to pay another $100.

That was on a Friday. The following Monday I picked up the contact and life is great with good vision. I've since had the appointment and my prescription has not changed.

BTW, I never would have tried to glue the contact. Superglue leaves a haze on clear plastic anyway. When I blurted that out, I wasn't serious, I was just thinking out loud. I'd like them to have known that, but it's not come up since. Before the receptionist called me back, I had called the lab myself, and they'd confirmed would be 5-7 days. Somehow, the doctor got 'er done in 3 days. I'm glad to have a doctor that cares.

Post subject: Re: Contact Lens Experience with a Good Doctor
PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 8:12 pm 

I've been wearing hard contacts since the age of 19. Even though my lens prescription hasn't changed in the last 10 to 20 years, I generally get new lenses every 2 or 3 years. Scratches on the plastic lens or plastic degradation due to chemicals in the eyes make it worthwhile. If you get a prescription from your optometrist, you can generally order them directly from the supplier/manufacturer thus saving the middle man charges(the optometrist). Typical replacement lenses(two lenses) run from $40 to $80 depending on source. For emergencies, I always keep the older lenses just in case one of my current ones gets lost, cracks, or breaks, falls down the drain, dog licks one out of my eye, etc.

Post subject: Re: Contact Lens Experience with a Good Doctor
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 1:14 am 

You're supposed to use contact cement. (Another hard lens wearer here, luv 'em!)