Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 15, 2017 8:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: time travel into the past
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 5:45 pm 

Five seconds ago I typed the word "Five" See it is possible!!!!

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 6:14 pm 

if you find that the old theories don't apply today, feel free to throw in a (2x) or a (+2) if needed to make it work.
Do it early in the equation so that others might overlook it.
This way, any formula will work for any problem, then cling to it like its the absolute final answer forever.

Oops, we already do this, called science.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 8:51 pm 

Time travel and The Universe explained by Futurama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7egXgYcgk

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 8:55 pm 

Real time travel is probably not possible to beings of the physical universe. But if a being has a metaphysical existence, they could probably pop in or out at will (I'm talking God and angels here).
Still waiting for the universe to start contracting after the expansion.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:23 pm 

This is a short article written for an online paranormal magazine many years ago.
http://curtiseickerman.weebly.com/uploa ... ce_new.pdf

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:15 am 

TJM70 wrote:
..but we risk dismissing things as absolutes at our own peril, I think.

I don't know about that. Because my cat, like all the other animals in the world, they NEVER concern themselves about dismissing cosmic energy facts or such.
.... and yet I don't see "peril" for them. As far as they are concerned, they ALL seem to live the most peaceful comfortable lives in total blissful ignorance of these matters. No financial collapse, no divorce, no job, no boss, no rent, no negative awareness of their age, no taxes, no wars, no poverty or starvation. No gun violence, no mass murder or corruption, no government, no laws.
They only live simple loving peaceful existences. And best of all... no awareness or fear of their own mortality.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 1:38 am 

Quote:
I don't know about that. Because my cat, like all the other animals in the world, they NEVER concern themselves about dismissing cosmic energy facts or such. .... and yet I don't see "peril" for them. As far as they are concerned, they ALL seem to live the most peaceful comfortable lives in total blissful ignorance of these matters.

All other animals in the world? That's baloney. I'm sure your cat has it made,but animals in the wild live in the ruthless world of survival of the fittest. Those animals kill to survive, or get killed by other animals trying to survive. And what about all the animal cruelty perpetrated by humans?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 3:15 am 

Logically, time travel into the past would seem impossible because it already happened. By the same token, no scientist would categorically rule out time travel into the past either.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 3:28 am 

metzman wrote:
Quote:
I don't know about that. Because my cat, like all the other animals in the world, they NEVER concern themselves about dismissing cosmic energy facts or such. .... and yet I don't see "peril" for them. As far as they are concerned, they ALL seem to live the most peaceful comfortable lives in total blissful ignorance of these matters.

All other animals in the world? That's baloney. I'm sure your cat has it made,but animals in the wild live in the ruthless world of survival of the fittest. Those animals kill to survive, or get killed by other animals trying to survive. And what about all the animal cruelty perpetrated by humans?

I refer to the philosophy of being a pure innocent un-scientificly educated animal.

They cannot control human abuse.

Survival of the fittest is simply the way of ALL life. There is no easy way to avoid it.. unless everything was vegetarian.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:13 am 

metzman wrote:
Quote:
Uh, not quite. Time may be a derived quantity, like mass is a derived quantity, but it is nonetheless 'real' in the same sense that mass is 'real'. That is, after all, why spacetime has "time" in the name.

Time 'marched on' for billionss of years before man came along to give it a name. You can't get much more 'real' than that

Einstein , philosophers, current day theoretical physicists,and cosmologists don't know what time really is or if it is an illusion. Spacetime itself is an invention of the human mind to mathematically describe aspects of the universe that are not fully understood. For thousands of years people were convinced the earth was flat and could describe that very convincingly with two dimensional maps. So at the end of the day we now know a whole lot more of nothing about the universe. My point being that time travel into the future is not trivial as you put it. If it is, travel a hundred years into the future and look at your own grave, and get back to me.
If we we're quite so clueless about the nature of time, as you seem to imply, your original post of what's possible and not possible would be meaningless, but I'm sure you didn't mean to meaninglessly pontificate about the unknowable.

Of course "time travel" into the 'future' is trivial. Every atom on the planet is doing it every second of every day. You're doing it right now, which will be the past as soon as you finish reading this. It's simple the nature of existence that we inexorably move forward in time. Now, if you wish to move 'faster' into the future you need to travel a relativistic speeds. Time dilation is not conjecture. It's been verified over and over again and is reality as far as anything is real.

It's "standing still" in time that would be the challenge, not "future time travel."

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:29 am 

The coordinates in space where something is include the time frame of
the observer.

All the dark matter, hitherto undiscovered, is actually the block chain record
where everything used to be.

My motorcycle chain did jump on the sprocket. but not always.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 7:26 am 

The Moody Blues said that thinking is the best way to travel, be it faster than light, forward or backwards in time, etc.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:04 am 

I repeat...There is no such quantity as "time"...Only energy and mass. "Time" is a man made measurement, and just because it's been theorized as a "space-time continuum" does not validate it as a true aspect.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:49 am 

fifties wrote:
I repeat...There is no such quantity as "time"...Only energy and mass. "Time" is a man made measurement, and just because it's been theorized as a "space-time continuum" does not validate it as a true aspect.

Actually, time is relative. Its not a man made construct. Experiments have been performed, showing variations in time due both to speed and gravity. GPS calculations must take relativity into effect or else you won't get an accurate result of your position. Relativity may be superseded by a more refined theory, one day, but the time variation stays. Its been tested.

There's some goofy stuff going on in physics. Look at quantum mechanics. There are many physicists, that wish that they wake up one day, and it all goes away. But the damn theory keeps holding up to every experiment and observation they make. And those concepts are why your electronics works.

You are free to come up with your own theories. Just make sure it holds up to the measured data. A grad student can make a name for himself, and may even become an icon of history, if he comes up with a theory that better holds up to the data. Just write a paper, and show the math. Its just that simple.

An ending rant on the difference of science and technology. These are two different entities. Modern science comes from what was once called natural philosophy. Basically knowing how the natural world works. By nature they just mean, non man-made constructs. Nature includes both live an inanimate items, from rocks to animals. And all the data has to be empirically found. No appealing to a higher authority. There is no purpose to science than just learning. It doesn't need to have an end use.

Technology on the other hand, is simply tool making. Its whole endeavor is practical. The only reason there seems to be a marriage of science and technology, is that in recent centuries, using science makes tool making a lot easier. There a plenty of guys out there with the title of applied scientist. They are actually technologist. Yes, they most likely have degrees in science, but their job is in technology. The fruits of science are just that good, such that the tool makers can't keep their hands off of them. The scientists are, not OBLIGATED, to give, and the tool makers, not ENTITLED, to demand, usable results. ... where have you heard that one before !?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 2:33 pm 

Quote:

At the present time I tend to agree.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 2:57 pm 

Quote:
Of course "time travel" into the 'future' is trivial. Every atom on the planet is doing it every second of every day.

No, your wrong. As far as I'm concerned I always live in the present. I cannot jump into my own future. And a second isn't really a second. It is indefinable in it own right. Time is relative right? That's all they tell you. They don't tell you what time IS, because they don't know. If you know what it is, you better tell them now. They've been trying to find the answer since the beginning of time.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 3:47 pm 

fifties wrote:
I would have to respectfully disagree and I will explain my reasons.

The following pertains to THIS universe since it is the only example of a universe that we have.

For any real object to be manifest in this universe it has to exist in at least 4 dimensions. These can be considered X, Y, Z, and T. If the value of any of these dimensions is Zero the object simply does not exist in this universe. By this I mean that the conceptualized object would be incapable of interacting with anything in this universe. It cannot push, pull, shove, or displace any other real object in this universe. It also cannot be measured in this universe.

Let's think of a 1 inch cube. So X, Y, and Z are non-zero. Then let's consider that it has Duration (T) equal to Zero. Regardless of having 3 space dimensions this item would be incapable of interacting with anything in this universe. Why? Because it exists for ZERO time which is by definition non-existence.

You can do the same thing with any one of the 4 dimensions. Let's say the object has X=Y=1 but Z=zero. Then let's say it has a duration of a whole year (T = 1 year). This object is also absolutely incapable of interacting with anything in this universe. Remember I am not saying Z is small, I am saying it is absolutely zero. Picture the object as a ZERO thickness piece of paper. Not just infinitely thin, but actually ZERO thickness.

The issue with the dimension of time, for us, is that we are imbedded in it. We can navigate in the X, Y, and Z directions freely, but we are stuck in the T dimension like a fly to flypaper. We experience that time exists, but we are in some way stuck to it so that we are not free to traverse it at will.

We are in an analogous situation to the people of the hypothetical Flatland. They are incapable of moving in the Z axis. Instead they are inexplicably stuck to a Z coordinate of zero height. If their whole coordinate system went up, they would just go up with it. If it would go down they would go down with it. Yet, they are incapable of going up or down independent of it.

Remember the old "Flip Books"? These are the books where every page has a drawing on it that represents a moment after the previous page. As you flip the page you see the characters moving. It is a lot like we exist in a Flip Book where each page is separated by one Planck time (the minimum theoretically detectable duration of time) and we can only experience one page at a time as they are flipped. We are just presently incapable of jumping off one page to the next page independent of the flipping of the page.

As a result, my conjecture is that Time is just as real as X, Y, and Z because reality as we know it does not exist without Time. It is just that our ability to understand exactly how time works is limited by virtue of being imbedded in it.

Perhaps, like the pages of the Flip Book, all possible values exist simultaneously while gravity and acceleration just affect the rate at which the pages flip for each observer. Time is still real, but our perception of time is affected.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:02 pm 

Yes but under the lamp post, almost everything is easier to find.

de Broglie Waves, needed a lamp post, for the longest time.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 4:08 pm 

Jim Croce hypothesized about putting time in a bottle so time must exist.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 6:18 pm 

How much per gallon?

There was a TV show, movie, or something.... a while back, where the main theme was buying and selling time (as in the individual's time left to live). I don't remember any details......

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 84 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next