Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 5:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Doctor's office craziness..
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 8:50 pm 

Didn't want to hijack the post office craziness thread! For about a year the Health Clinic here has started to use a new and improved check in system! You walk up to the check in counter as always, give your name, doctor and birthdate, as always, they give you a tablet so you have to go and sit down and confirm all your current credentials, etc, on this touch screen gizmo that reminds me of the Etch a Sketch, take it back up to the counter, then they call you when they are ready. Oh, and when you check out, instead of a business card size next appointment date card, they now have to use a big fancy printer to print off a full sheet of copy paper! The last time I was there I actually asked the receptionist if this new system really saves time and money, she said no!

Post subject: Re: Doctor's office craziness..
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 9:15 pm 

Change for changes' sake.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 9:46 pm 

SteveT wrote:
Didn't want to hijack the post office craziness thread! For about a year the Health Clinic here has started to use a new and improved check in system! You walk up to the check in counter as always, give your name, doctor and birthdate, as always, they give you a tablet so you have to go and sit down and confirm all your current credentials, etc, on this touch screen gizmo that reminds me of the Etch a Sketch, take it back up to the counter, then they call you when they are ready. Oh, and when you check out, instead of a business card size next appointment date card, they now have to use a big fancy printer to print off a full sheet of copy paper! The last time I was there I actually asked the receptionist if this new system really saves time and money, she said no!

My doctors office dont have the digital sign ins yet but the place that does my blood work does.It only asks you for your name and birthday.Show the drivers lic and health ins card when they call you. I think its BS for people that cant see good like me and the elderly people that have to deal with it unless they have somebody with them.They have two tablet style kiosk units mounted on a stand by the check in window .After you sign in your name pops up on the TV monitor on the wall like a airport flight schedule in order when you sign in.Personally I rather stick with the old school pen and paper sign in format.Apparently the offices got sick of reading the chicken scratch"Which yours truly is" and have a readable legit sign in that you showed up.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 9:21 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Stanford and UCSF both have fingerprint sign in systems and they are getting ready to roll out iris reader verification. Walk up - touch your finger on the pad and you are both verified as well as checked in.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 9:45 pm 

Doctors offices are being pressured to go full electronic in their records system

If and when somebody needs their doctor to send their medical files over then a few push of the buttons and it is done

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 10:45 pm 

Instrument Fixer wrote:
Doctors offices are being pressured to go full electronic in their records system

If and when somebody needs their doctor to send their medical files over then a few push of the buttons and it is done

And with the typical lack of security large organizations seem to have the system will soon be hacked and your private medical information will be disclosed to the world.

RRM

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 10:53 pm 

Quote:

Yes, and a very good system it is. I can read all my Doc's notes on my computer when I get home, all my scripts, all the recalls, all my vaccinations going back years - a very good scheme. I don't have a particular Doc - you phone in for an appointment, a nurse takes the call, analyses what you want to do and she assigns a Doc to you and makes the appointment - she can also book you in to A&E if required. You go in, the Doc is expecting you and has read all the notes. He makes a new script or whatever and off you go. If you just need a repeat of your scripts then the nurse can do that - no charge if you just call in for the paperwork, or just a fax charge, $6, if she sends it to your pharmacy.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 1:29 am 

Retired Radio Man wrote:
Instrument Fixer wrote:

And with the typical lack of security large organizations seem to have the system will soon be hacked and your private medical information will be disclosed to the world.

RRM

So what? Would anyone really want to see my medical records, and if so do I care? :roll:

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 2:19 am 

You might not but others who don't want to increase their exposure to identity theft (your personal data is part of the records) or have problems getting insurance or credit might.

RRM

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 2:46 am 

As with everything we do, including getting out of bed in the morning, there are pluses and minuses. With your full medical records available, hopefully stories of someone entering the hospital for a kidney transplant and getting their leg sawed off instead, or a patient being prescribed a deadly combination of medicine from two different doctors, will be a thing of the past.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 4:15 am 

My Doctor's office craziness is when you go to your appointment and check in at the sliding window you then sit for 2 hours before your called in to the first stage. The first stage is having someone weigh you and check your blood pressure and temperature. They then guide you into a room and shut the door. You sit for another hour before NOT the Doctor you came to see but a Medical assistant who checks your chart from previous visits. I think I'm going to the wrong doctor's office. They haven't done blood work in 3 years on me and I've had a heart attack in 2009. The problem is that there aren't any doctors around here to go to except the emergency at the hospital.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 5:49 am 

fifties wrote:
Retired Radio Man wrote:
Instrument Fixer wrote:

RRM

So what? Would anyone really want to see my medical records, and if so do I care? :roll:

Retired Radio Man wrote:
You might not but others who don't want to increase their exposure to identity theft (your personal data is part of the records) or have problems getting insurance or credit might.

RRM

Already had my ID stolen, about 8-10 years ago.
Thieves rang up a couple thousand dollars in purchases with store credit cards they developed with my info. When we came back from an extended vacation, I had numerous "thank you for opening a credit account with us" letters, along with statements, waiting at the post office for me (used to have our mail held when we went away).
I called each retailer to inform them of the scheme, then the 3 credit reporting agencies, who promptly locked our accounts and now require extra information for access.

A bit of an annoyance, but it cost me zero. Found out later that my info had been stolen out of my mailbox. Ya think I'm gonna worry about a doctor's office? Oh please. If I'm gonna worry about anything, there's better stuff to fret over! :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 6:21 am 

As a property owner you should be concerned.

Had a co-worker a few years ago who discovered that his identity was stolen when his house-fully bought and paid for by him-was in some else's name. Basically the thieves somehow got his house signed over to them, then used their alleged ownership of the property to get a second mortgage, and absconded with the cash.

Oh, and one other thing- he was ready to retire and sell the place when this was discovered, and it was a few months before the 2008 meltdown. This whole thing took a long time to straighten out, and he could only watch helplessly as the value of his home was sinking like the Titanic. He ultimately did retire, and became a landlord for several years instead, renting the place out until home values started appreciating again, which they ultimately did, rather spectacularly. Fortunately, he didn't need the cash from the sale of his home when he bought his retirement property. If he did, he would have been royally screwed.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 7:11 am 

Primitiveradiogod wrote:
As a property owner you should be concerned.

Had a co-worker a few years ago who discovered that his identity was stolen when his house-fully bought and paid for by him-was in some else's name. Basically the thieves somehow got his house signed over to them, then used their alleged ownership of the property to get a second mortgage, and absconded with the cash.

This whole thing took a long time to straighten out

Shouldn't have; any competent attorney should have been able to ID the forgery, and if his house was paid for, any new mortgage would have been a first, not a second. But regardless, OK, there's all kinda thieves out there ready to strip one naked for anything of value.

I ain't gonna worry about things I have little to no control over; if I were to lose everything, I'd just start over. It's what's inside of us that counts, and no one can steal that... :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 3:29 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
antiQradioman wrote:
The problem is that there aren't any doctors around here to go to except the emergency at the hospital.
Solution: Move to the city where proper healthcare is available just like every other old fat and handicapped man has to do sooner or later.

I spent a good part of my childhood near Traverse City, Alpena, Cadillac, Petoskey St Ignace and the SMBC Bay Area - and left as soon as humanly possible - first for Detroit (since benefits cdnt be transferred out of state yet in those days) followed by Chicago, Philadelphia and Los Angeles prior to coming to Silicon Valley.

I keep telling my three uncles (my aunts have passed) that they need to come out of the hermit life in the forest and come down to the city so they can e.g. take the city bus or Veterans Service Van to the VA less than a half an hour away.

The oldest one (73) is on his third heart attack in 10 yrs, the middle one had a stroke last year and Stanford wants him in on their stem cell study but you have to live in town to be eligible and the youngest one is 450 lbs on 5-10 and has needed a bariatric adapted environment pretty much since a couple years after he got out of the Army nearly 50 years ago.

Not only is there few to any County or VA homecare service providers - they're from a different time and probably wouldn't tolerate them in their house anyway. At least in the city there's a plethora of aides - offend one or grouch them out of your house - drop a dime and get a new one assigned.

Even if they do that two and three times a day - down in Palo Alto it'll be Y E A R S before they exhaust the supply and that don't count whoever goes into the field bec they can't get any other kind of job and can't go on welfare/disability themselves.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 5:03 pm 

A few years ago my doctor was away, and a 'loci' was taking his place.
He handed me my prescription, and I went to Walmart.

The pharmacist looked at me and asked my name.

I also told her, I just got the prescription, (a usual one) ,
a few minutes ago.

She walked to the back, and phoned the clinic . A few minutes later,
she sold me the package.

I asked what happened, and she said the doctors computer printed out the
wrong prescription. Happens when Dr. .... (the loci (temp) is there. Seems the
pharmacy works the doctors' nurses to unscramble stuff. The prescription
had someone else's name on it.

Small town.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 7:00 pm 

Around here they still have you sign in at the front desk, but all my information for insurance through whatever doctors notes and such are all on the computer. That would be fine if the same computer was not directly connected to the internet.

Both local clinics and the so-called 'hospital' all work on the same system and the system was hacked two years ago. They have not changed anything since then. It was a "Oh well, stuff happens now and then."
Great, but now information about myself and my wife with regards to our medical records are now out in the ether where any of it can be sold and re-sold and also taken in the wrong context which could potentially harm us financially or otherwise in the future.

Do they care? Nope. What they have is easy for them and that's all they care about.

If they want to keep peoples information on a computerized system, then that system should be completely isolated from the internet.
Need to transfer records? Take a couple extra steps and put the intended data transfer on a flash drive, plug that and only that information into a computer that IS on the internet for that sole purpose.
But that takes extra steps and they don't care because they don't have to and they are too lazy to take two extra steps.
To help keep information about me that can be stolen by hackers I do tend to lie a bit. Some of, or maybe a bit more than some is not especially correct or true. They just don't know it.
Unfortunately, some things have to be correct such as my address and phone number and medical insurance data, but from there on it's anybody's guess.

Mark D.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 4:27 am 

We have a love-hate relationship with Kaiser. I like being able to see my records online. I keep track of my A1C scores- trending downward nicely. I can review other tests and keep track of what happened when. Who remembers this stuff? The hate part involves chronic semi-minor issues they can't resolve. Luckily I don't take or need any meds so right now it's not too bad. Their chiros give you 5 or 10 minutes at the most. I used to compare Kaiser complaint stories with a co-worker but she's no longer with us.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 5:27 am 

Did they sanitize the tablet every time? Aka ,Transmission route, cross contamination, a vector, flu season. Bet not.
Somewhat suspect since sick people are using it. The ones not sick touched the door on the way in.
I'm not a germaphobe, but I worked in a lab testing water samples likely containing known pathogens, the first thing you learn the hard way are all the transmission routes

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2017 10:44 am 

majoco wrote:
Quote:

Yes, and a very good system it is. I can read all my Doc's notes on my computer when I get home, all my scripts, all the recalls, all my vaccinations going back years - a very good scheme. I don't have a particular Doc - you phone in for an appointment, a nurse takes the call, analyses what you want to do and she assigns a Doc to you and makes the appointment - she can also book you in to A&E if required. You go in, the Doc is expecting you and has read all the notes. He makes a new script or whatever and off you go. If you just need a repeat of your scripts then the nurse can do that - no charge if you just call in for the paperwork, or just a fax charge, $6, if she sends it to your pharmacy.

AHHH.... but you live in a country that has efficient national health care... here in the USA its every man/woman/child for themselves, and the insurance companies decide who gets good care. We have two levels of care.... exquisite/disorganized and weak/disorganized. Both are inefficient as heck and we enjoy paying 50% more overall than the rest of the industrialized world for it. I am self employed and our babysteps version national healthcare "ACA" aka, "Obamacare" cut my costs more than half the first year. Its gone up since then a lot but still under what I would be paying otherwise. My previous doctor's office had about 15 total staff, about 5 were dealing with nothing but billing, and they saw no patients all afternoon... just did paper work and tests results stuff.
Mark Oppat

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next