Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 5:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Microsoft strikes again
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 9:50 pm 

My daughter's laptop was suffering from the common (as in many causes) Win 10 condition of near constant 100% disk usage. I tried a few of the more commonly cited cures without success so I decided to go ahead and use the MS update assistant to grab the Fall Creator update since it hadn't installed yet. After about 3 hours the Creator update was at 96% complete when good old Win 10 also decided there were updates to the current version of Windows 10 and started that which blew up the Creator update. So after 3.5 hours the laptop has updated Windows but not to the big Fall update which failed because it started the other update.

Suffice to say this will be the last piece of MS stuff in the household. I have spent more time fighting with Win 10 on a desktop, two laptops, and a tablet than every other computer I have owned combined. I don't recall having to do any user intervention with several XP desktops and laptops.

I have also run into the 100% disk usage on my laptop along with fighting the time wasting search indexer, Cortana, etc. MS apparently is trying to copy Apple by not allowing the user as much freedom to choose what the system does which would be fine IF windows was actually stable and reliable which it no longer is.

I am not sure what the hell happened to the adults in Redmond but they apparently went senile and let some idiots take over. Next stop Mac.

Rodger WQ9E

Post subject: Re: Microsoft strikes again
PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 9:58 pm 

rsingl wrote:
My daughter's laptop was suffering from the common (as in many causes) Win 10 condition of near constant 100% disk usage. I tried a few of the more commonly cited cures without success so I decided to go ahead and use the MS update assistant to grab the Fall Creator update since it hadn't installed yet. After about 3 hours the Creator update was at 96% complete when good old Win 10 also decided there were updates to the current version of Windows 10 and started that which blew up the Creator update. So after 3.5 hours the laptop has updated Windows but not to the big Fall update which failed because it started the other update.

Suffice to say this will be the last piece of MS stuff in the household. I have spent more time fighting with Win 10 on a desktop, two laptops, and a tablet than every other computer I have owned combined. I don't recall having to do any user intervention with several XP desktops and laptops.

I have also run into the 100% disk usage on my laptop along with fighting the time wasting search indexer, Cortana, etc. MS apparently is trying to copy Apple by not allowing the user as much freedom to choose what the system does which would be fine IF windows was actually stable and reliable which it no longer is.

I am not sure what the hell happened to the adults in Redmond but they apparently went senile and let some idiots take over. Next stop Mac.

Rodger WQ9E

Agree there.I'll never have 10 here unless it was given to me in a computer.My next computer will be a Mac.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 10:13 pm 

You guys are forgetting one major option: Linux. Apologies if you've already researched this---even though it has become very mature, it is not for everyone.

One big advantage is you keep your existing hardware....and the OS is free.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 10:17 pm 

Mark,

Thanks and I told Anna that was the next step for this laptop if Creator doesn't install cleanly AND address the disk usage issue.

PCs are tools and if my Tektronix bench scopes sometimes took 5 minutes for a trace to come up or started to update right in the middle of a measurement making the controls unresponsive they would get replaced and the same goes for MS garbage on the PC. MS used to provide good stuff but that time is past.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 10:23 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
OK I fixed this issue on teh wife's laptop last night

start services and find one called "superfetch" disable it

you pc will return to normal disc access

superfetch is a service that is predictive and holds programs you use the most in RAM in the background so it starts quicker. What it does is cause 100% disc access and bogs your system.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 10:40 pm 

I stopped using Wdoze products last millennium, and haven't regretted it in the least.

My main computers are MacBook Pro versions.
They work very well, with extremely robust security features.

The other computers run various flavors of Linux.
I've used those for maybe 20 years. No issues whatsoever.

I was a member of the Linux development team briefly, before I recognized all the politics.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 10:45 pm 

I use an older notebook on Linux and it works very well. This computer was useless with Windows. As others have said, Linux may not be for everyone but it certainly works for me. As I replace my other computers they will also run Linux.

best regards,
Sandy

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 10:50 pm 

simplex1040 wrote:
OK I fixed this issue on teh wife's laptop last night

start services and find one called "superfetch" disable it

you pc will return to normal disc access

superfetch is a service that is predictive and holds programs you use the most in RAM in the background so it starts quicker. What it does is cause 100% disc access and bogs your system.

Thanks but it didn't help on this one. I killed superfetch and search indexer which are two of the prime hogs but it didn't help. During its attempt at installing Creator disk access was staying very low and I am hopeful the issue doesn't follow with Creator. But searching on the web for Windows 10 disk access 100% or high usage is like searching for Donald Trump, you will get a whole lot of search returns.

Up to the 89% mark on the second attempt at installing the Creator update. It is a fast laptop that is 1.5 years old and it shouldn't have any issue running Win 10-and it wouldn't if Win 10 wasn't as buggy as a Florida swamp in July.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:08 pm 

Quote:
it shouldn't have any issue running Win 10-and it wouldn't if Win 10 wasn't as buggy as a Florida swamp in July.

that sums it all up

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:21 pm 

Rodger,

If you have an "older" computer that has been sidelined and fallen into disuse, consider a Linux installation to get hands on experience.

Most installation Linux distributions can run from the CD/DVD drive. A light Linux version can run the corrupted Windows machine and move files to a USB stick or USB hard drive, thereby saving the work on the O.S. corrupted machine.

If you don't feel like monkeying around with burning a CD./DVD distribution (install/live run) disc they may be inexpensively purchased here:

https://www.osdisc.com/

The shipment is fast, there are links to each flavor of Linux that catches your eye. There are follower's of many flavors of Linux here on ARF. You will also find some high security versions if that is your desire. Most flavors have a browser, file manager, word and image processor.

My preference is Ubuntu because of support and past experience, had I been into some other flavor I would recommend that. I do suggest that a "LTS" (long term support) version be installed

Good Luck saving files.

Chas

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:22 pm 

pixellany wrote:
You guys are forgetting one major option: Linux. Apologies if you've already researched this---even though it has become very mature, it is not for everyone.

One big advantage is you keep your existing hardware....and the OS is free.

Can you edit video and audio with Linux.I could go that way if possible.With what programs.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:26 pm 

Thanks Chas,

I do have an older I5 based desktop with a 500 GB hard drive and that will be a good learning platform for one of the Linux varieties. As soon as I recover from computer fatigue with my daughter's laptop I will pull out the desktop and learn about Linux.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Dec Wed 06, 2017 11:54 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:16 am 

Quote:
Can you edit video and audio with Linux.I could go that way if possible.With what programs.

I use Openshot video editor, i can do everything it it I could do with my adobe premiere.

you can edit audio using audacity.

Openshot comes installed already on "Mint" and it is free.

I edited this on openshot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrtD-ok9vg

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:51 am 

simplex1040 wrote:
Excellent work.

Very professional presentation.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:55 am 

simplex1040 wrote:
Quote:

I use Openshot video editor, i can do everything it it I could do with my adobe premiere.

you can edit audio using audacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxrtD-ok9vg

Thanks Simplex.I go to try it out on another computer here.I got plenty to load a copy of Linux and Openshot.

BTW. Great promo video.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:57 am 
Site Admin

Openshot has Mac and Windows versions, as does Audacity.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:58 am 

Install Linux Mint (Cinnamon version) on that computer. You can choose to install with a dual boot option so you can have Windows and Linux on the same computer.
https://linuxmint.com/download.php

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 1:01 am 

rsingl wrote:
Thanks Chas,

I do have an older I5 based desktop with a 500 GB hard drive and that will be a good learning platform for one of the Linux varieties. As soon as I recover from computer fatigue with my daughter's laptop I will pull out the desktop and learn about Linux.

Rodger WQ9E

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 1:37 am 

I would call this a somewhat successful operation because the laptop is now running with the Creator update and low disk utilization.

As expected Superfetch returned with the update and before I killed it the disk utilization was hovering near 100% and as a new wrinkle after the Creator update if you try to temporarily kill superfetch via the task manager you receive a stern warning that Windows will become unstable-like it isn't already :) So I went in through services and permanently disabled it and that took care of the disk usage problem until the next Windows update.

So it took two install attempts to get the Creator update and the first startup after the successful install resulted in the BSOD but a reboot finally resulted in a clean start.

I was in the PC industry near its beginning in 1982 and installing a hard drive and doing a low level and then a high level format followed by installing a full operating system, including the multi-disk distribution of SCO Unix, took far less time and mental energy than a supposedly simple update of Win 10.

I expect I would have more Win 10 issues on my desktop except it is a dual processor workstation system with a lot of memory and a very fast drive controller so it is better at ignoring issues.

Rodger WQ9E

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 46 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next