Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Fri 22, 2018 12:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brother P-Touch label system what not to buy...
PostPosted: Dec Thu 21, 2017 4:52 am 

I have a PT 2200 which I bought of the bay for $10.00 and it works great.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 21, 2017 5:20 pm 

Folks,

I need to do my homework this weekend and see just what model I need for the tape sizes I wish to print the most of.

I'll get back with my decision.

So far the following:

PT-2200 x 2 (no complaints)

PT-2700/2710 (no complaints)

PT-2700 (no complaints)

PT-1700 (no complaints)

PT-D200 & Mikes fantastic clear labels on outstanding projects, well done. The TZe-151 tape?

PT-85 hand-held (no complaints)

PT-320 "low rez display shabby case"

P-Writer (tape waster)

PT-65

PT-1290 "no complaints"

PT-2730 no complaints"

My comments: There is the cost of consumables, but if you remember to look for "abandoned" tape carts that fit in the after market. some savings.

Very old models, likely obsolete, have a low rez screen. A particular model has a high current demand. FWIK no model has been abandoned by Brother in the fact that consumables are available.
I'll be back in about a week on this.

Seasons Best!

Chas

PostPosted: Dec Sat 23, 2017 6:37 am 

I have a professional level PT-8000 "P-Touch XL" machine which looks like a portable typewriter and about the same size. Must be from the 1990's or early 2000's. Does about anything you can imagine in terms of fonts, sizes, orientation, etc.. Cartridges available on eBay reasonably and last a long time. Battery pack was missing when I got it at the dump but it has an external power jack. Needs 9 Volts at 2 Amps (!) with a starting current reserve of somewhat more than that. Very steep learning curve as far as using it, the manual is quite lengthy and thick. My main beef is that the labels are finicky about what they stick to. This could be an issue with sourcing new old stock cartridges on eBay but it can be annoying. I have tried cleaning the surface to be labeled with alcohol but it didn't seem to help much.

I also have a couple of the cheap consumer ones, such as the PT-80. My complaint on those is, as others have said above, they really eat batteries and want an absolutely fresh set at all times.

Dymo has a competitor to these, not the old kind of Dymo tape thing but one on a plastic tape just like these. I don't know how those compare.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

Last edited by Geoff Fors on Dec Mon 25, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 23, 2017 4:54 pm 

Buying tapes for these Brother label makers is expensive! What I've done over the years is to watch the sales at Staples; often you can get a new printer with tape for less than the cost of a replacement tape.

"It's always darkest before it's pitch black"

PostPosted: Dec Sat 23, 2017 9:40 pm 

I've found them to be 7-8 bucks each, not bad for what you get.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Sun 24, 2017 10:47 am 

I've used a ptouch at work for many years without incident. One nice feature is the capability to print on ptouch shrink wrap. My recent use was to label nearly 100 transducer inputs (about 80 of which were strain gages) from an RL-10 rocket engine that I tested (mechanical test). If the ptouch broke, I'd buy another.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 1:19 am 

Geoff Fors wrote:
Dymo has a competitor to these, not the old kind of Dymo tape thing but one on a plastic tape just like these. I don't know how those compare.

They are thermal printers. The image fades from UV exposure. The indoor paper tape fades after a few years under my shop fluorescent lights. The expensive outdoor rated plastic tape fades after six or seven years of outdoor exposure.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 29, 2017 1:52 am 

I found a Brother label maker (forget which model) at Savers last year for $3 or $4. It powers up, but I have yet to do testing beyond that because I'd have to buy a TZe tape cartridge, which start at $20 and go up from there. :shock: I think I'll stick to using old-style Dymo impact labelers for the time being, as I managed to find several different tape reels for them at Savers for a couple of bucks (used to be able to buy them at Staples, but haven't seen them there in awhile). Also, I like that nice 'kerchunk' you get when you press the trigger to stamp a letter. :)

http://www.electronixandmore.com/adam/index.html

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 3:02 am 

I bought a Brother PT-1880 at BJ's Wholesale Club for about $20 it takes the TZe tapes that can cost more then I paid for the whole unit + AC adapter (Which luckily came with mine) as others have mentioned it wastes 1.0" before every print. I have cases where I know I am going to print more then one label so I just type them all out with a few spaces between them and then print them out and use scissors to cut them apart. However this does make it harder to get the back off (To expose the adhesive side) the label but I do probably save a few inches of tape so the extra effort is worth it to me.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 4:38 am 

Quote:
...I just type them all out with a few spaces between them...
Thats what I do, but typically only 2 spaces. I usually have several labels for any particular project, and that approach saves quite a bit of material.

As for removing the split paper backing, I gently fold the label in half, top to bottom, and use self closing tweezers to grasp the label proper, then it's easy to remove both halves of the paper backing.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 9:37 am 

Some of the tapes advertise extra strong "security" adhesive.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 11:39 pm 

Mikeinkcmo wrote:
Quote:
...I just type them all out with a few spaces between them...
Thats what I do, but typically only 2 spaces. I usually have several labels for any particular project, and that approach saves quite a bit of material.

As for removing the split paper backing, I gently fold the label in half, top to bottom, and use self closing tweezers to grasp the label proper, then it's easy to remove both halves of the paper backing.

Thanks for the tip and I also do two spaces between labels when making multiple labels

I labeled my USB Flash Disks (Which I have quite a few of, I love those little things :mrgreen:) with it (I had to use the smallest font as those disks are getting smaller and smaller as time goes on)

I have one for my Linux Live USBS and one for my Hackintosh (OS X on non Apple hardware) another for Microsoft Windows installation and another for misc tools and the last one I have is just for Misc. files

Post subject: Re: Brother P-Touch label system what not to buy.
PostPosted: Mar Thu 08, 2018 11:32 pm 

I'm a bit late in getting back to this topic, sorry.

I did a generic search for Brother P-Touch and narrowed it down to the PT-D210. The specifications fill most of what I plan to use it for. Extras I got were a hard case, power supply and six tape cassettes of the 12mm white tape.

Oh, all web ordered from Walmart.

Paid $17.89 for 5 Greencycle TZe tape, delivered. The features of that particular Brother P-Touch filled all my needs. The tape will also do those part drawer fronts. code all my electrical outlets, tag the wires in the panel, code the TV cables and outlets and label the cat carriers whose labels always fall off or fade away...

I have blown through the sample and two cassettes using the tape (inside) Avery/Pendaflex hanging folder tabs. Most of my files are now in order. My wife has taken a dislike to my re-organizing passion and promptly pulled all "her" files.

Thanks to all that contributed to my decision.

Best!

Chas

Last edited by Chas on Mar Fri 09, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:39 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

DYMO is still in business and makes a competing product. It is on the cheap end of things, but ours seems to work well and it is a little stingier with the tape. Both white and clear tapes are available. My wife just renewed our supply of tapes... she bought five cartridges for less than $15 on Amazon. It doesn't have all the fonts and stuff you get with the Brother... but its cheaper.

No connection to the company.....

Regards,

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 34 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2