Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 16, 2018 3:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Men/Womens Culture Gags that Still Work
PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 7:48 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Men go to an event and worry they will look different than the other men.
Women go to the same event worrying they will look the same as another woman.

Solution to women who have a cow if two of em are in the same dress when they go to an event.

I used to tell my sister when she used to care about girl clothes as a kid - (she drives UPS truck now) they should have a registry of who is going to what event in what outfit if that's so important.

Before the days of the Internet, I managed her jr and sr prom and several other local events both cuz I sent out notices to all the likely dress shop candidates and several other events and because since I'd be working the event, I'd get tired of all the catfighting and snide remarks all night long like any other soon-to-be-grown man.

I'd have the dress shops send over a color fax of the dress in question to the school and we'd post it in a glass showcase in the main foryer as having already been chosen - but NOT who chose it since the girl in question wd always want it to be a surprise.

Once everybody else did the same thing the only fights after that were who could get to the dress shop first w the most money - but none of THAT went on at the event - only in the school halls beforehand where I didn't have to listen to it for days on end.

Trouble w that is - by then all the girls had seen all the dresses and their prices - and could start bullying the poorer girls and their ``burlap sacks''.

Second year that went on - we pulled an I Love Lucy on everybody and had a guy come in playing designer Bill Blass - or was it Christian Dior? I lose track.

Anyway they went to the cotillion in their burlap sacks - had the guy sign em and after the party they both sold for 1K to a girl who was moving out of state before she could get her yearbook.

20 years later she's back for the reunion and reads in the yearbook about the dress gag - and the I Love Lucy reference. She's madder at HERSELF for falling for such an old gag - especially since she was a rabid ILL fan in those days and missed the reference.

She did the same thing to her daughter five years later (this past May) and it served as a bonding point over matters that had previously gotten out of hand and bordering on not speaking to each other.