Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 22, 2018 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Collecting tastes evolving?
PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 5:42 pm 

Happy New year everyone. I guess it's an appropriate topic for the new year, but I'm curious how everyone's tastes in this hobby have evolved over the years. I've only been into this for a couple, but I've seen mine change some.

I'm a WWII nerd, so naturally my radio interests were initially limited to those that someone could have actually listened to during that time. 1946 and later, almost zero interest... Now though, I'm finding plenty of ones I like from the 50's and 60's. I'm even thinking about making the jump to working on FM sets.... :shock:

So, how have your tastes changed since you got into this?

Post subject: Re: Collecting tastes evolving?
PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 6:32 pm 

Happy New Year Jack!

I thought about this a bit, and I can't say my tastes have changed much. I'm still interested in the same types of radios I was interested in back when I started collecting.

I suppose, I've become much more selective as I've gone along.

However, like you, back in the 1980s, I did not consider any radio made after WWII as an "Antique Radio" It had to be made before WWII before I would classify it as such.
Now, i consider that all changed, then again, the 1980s was 30 years ago. :lol: Those postwar radios are now older!…… and myself along with it…

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 6:54 pm 

I still prefer pre-war radios and early post-war TV's, although I have expanded a bit into some early transistor radios and late '50's metal portable TV's.
I know two very active long-time radio/TV dealers. Interests in general have changed in recent years. People will walk by a classic '30's console radio and want a console stereo that us older collectors would put at the curb. They will also walk past a '40's TV and pay nearly the same for color set from the '70's. It really surprises these dealers.
It seems us older collectors that like big dark gothic/deco radios or scientific looking '20's sets are becoming a smaller and smaller group. If I show pictures of my collection to someone these days, they're not very impressed by the early ones, but will react with a "cool!" when I show them say my little Zenith Royal 500 transistor radio. They're okay, but NOT next to my large '36 Stewart Warner Magic dial tombstone.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens to all the classic early sets when the 50, 60, and 70 crowd of today are out of the hobby. The young are totally entranced and saturated in new technology.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 8:04 pm 

My tastes have evolved. Mainly, I'm much more selective these days. When I first started out in this hobby, I'd pretty much buy anything old. No more.

"This is the last radio I will ever buy, dear; I promise"

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 8:15 pm 

Quote:
My tastes have evolved.

Same^^^

2016-2017 were years where I delved into more complex concepts, circuits, and did more studying, reading and listening to your wisdom & experience.

KD2AZI

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 8:25 pm 

I buy a couple radio per year, clean needing very little work. Not interested in having a collection, just more work keeping them working and clean. At present I have no tube radios and for daily listening I prefer the 1970's multi dial, large stereo amplifiers. Having lived in the 1930's thru the 1940's we had radios and later, TV's around the house. With tons of radios on Ebay there's no shortage, walking the pavement days finding radios is over. My advise is be very selective or you will over the years wind up with a pile of junk and how to get rid of it. JMO

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 9:24 pm 

I don't really collect anymore, and am slowly getting rid of what I did collect. I just fix everyone else's stuff now, but I thoroughly document it all, so that fulfills the same niche as physically collecting for me without actually having to store anything. (Not to mention, it's money coming in vs. going out.)

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 9:48 pm 

I began collecting primarily Transistor sets along with portable tube radios, on eBay right around 2001 or so. I then got involved on this board, and some years after, started collecting AA5/6's, and in the process several consoles.
I've enjoyed electrically and a bit cosmetically restoring most of them, but I'm pretty well satiated at this point, and not really in the hunt for more sets that I really have no room to place.

I've looked around at them in considering liquidation, but I really don't want to lose most or all, and have no need for any money they would bring. My son, who will move into this place when I go toes and tits up, said he's fine with keeping everything I've collected.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 10:03 pm 

Growing up, I was fascinated with those cathedral sets from the 1930's -- even though they were evasive. It was only in recent years that I was able to bring one of those home, and now I have a handful.

For nearly the past 20 years I've been heavily involved in local swap meets, actually running them for the past 10 or so. But -- do I want to bring up Mt. Dora again? I put a ton of effort into that, and it was a major letdown. Since then I've had far less interest in the hobby as a whole. Just don't care. Mt. For a is kaput. So is the Sarasota meet. There's FAWG in Orlando, haven't bothered to go. Got some amps, speakers, and boxes of tubes, in the way. Goodwill maybe?

Over the years I've done so much to help others, running radio meets, helping others with their projects, building elaborate sound systems for churches, and whatever else -- all without taking in one penny for myself. Now it's time to quit, and put this effort into my own business. It was slow this past year, and where are all those people I've helped out over the years? Just think -- since I don't have to deal with Mt. Dora, I can set up a business display at a Carlisle event in Lakeland. Blessing in disguise. MAKE money for once.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 11:29 pm 

As most have said here. My likes and dislikes have changed over the last few years also. At first I would buy what ever was not to expensive, didn't work or hummed, and maybe case needed some easy work. Now I'm more selective and get radios that cost more to buy, but to me have eye appeal and are more challenging. Six months ago I was given a AK-40 with speaker and that one took me almost 2 months to get working again. I needed a ton of help and received it from members here. I like the Zenith TO's and have done a few of them. Now I started a 8G005 and it's a bear. Zenith proved that they can get 6lbs in a 5lb bag. My love is working on the chassis. I'm on a fixed income and set a dollar amount in my budget for this hobby so I don't have as many radios as some. I don't sell them because it seems like it would be a to much of a hassle. I give most away to family and friends. Their Thank You's and questions are payment enough.

Freeman.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 12:37 pm 

I don’t buy anything anymore. The prices have went out of this world and the return on investment is nearly $0. I have a lot more fun (and make a lot more money) fixing 70’s and 80’s turntables, tape decks and high end stereo systems. Antique radios from the 1960’s and earlier are dying off in popularity. The people that grew up with these radios are becoming fewer and fewer. Electric trains is another hobby that’s dying off.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 2:52 pm 

Started actively collecting in 1975 but for years before that, as a young
ham radio nerd, had aquired quite a few WWII radios of all sorts Was
also into Teletype.

Over the years my primary interest in vintage radio has been wireless
through early 1920's. And it still is. However this hobby offers many
interesting paths and have dabbled in many of them. 1940's and newer
pocket TV's, high performance SW receivers of all types (tube and SS),
depression era radios and finally vintage ham radios. The latter being
those I could only drool over as a kid.

Currently I'm on a cathedral kick. Also enjoy designing and building,
tube regen receivers and transmitters from scratch.

Haven't really lost interest in any of these fields and if I stumble
across something interesting in any of these areas, I'll still
buy them.
Steve

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 11:30 pm 

My tastes are pretty much the same, which is eclectic. But largely stylish, late 20s-early 60s tube radios. But being more selective due to limited room/finances. Wish I could have kept every radio I ever bought but it's not practical. I too wonder how much interest there will be in many of these radios in the future.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 11:53 pm 

I find that if I don't get tired of a certain item, they become hard to find, and that forces a new direction at times.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 4:46 am 

when I started when I was 10 years old in 1980 and all thru the early 90's, it was "anything and everything".

in my mid 20's, I got just the interest for AA5/6 bakelite/wood table radios with octal tubes and the cap-tuned IFT's. the year range that I like is around 1940 to 1948'ish when they started making radios with those garbage bastard craptastic POS slug-tuned IFT's that developed silver mica problems.

for the past 5-7 years, my interest was completely finishing the backlog and downsizing to a couple consoles, my pap's pristine restored RCA SHF-5 HiFi Orthophonic, a few classic monoblock amps, and about 30 of the bakelite/wood table AA5/6 sets that I just can't live without.

I have lost interest in the hunt, the quest to get more, the sitting at the bench for hours restoring/repairing, finding obscure/set-unique parts, and all the rest that goes with it.

I'm burnt out and possibly so burnt out that I KNOW i will never get back "into it" anything remotely close to the "into it" level of which I once was. I guarantee that won't happen.

if and only if something comes home now, it must be pristine and something that I absolutely can't eat, sleep, breathe, or live without. that probably won't happen anytime in the near or far future.

i do have a few little projects like replacing some capacitors in some excellent vintage 80's am/fm portables and doing the same in a very odd Panasonic "blue fluorescent clock display" clock radio from the 70's. I also have another chassis/isolation transformer project and my dad's 1978 ramcharger radio to restore that I got him for xmas as a gag gift. these are nice little projects in the queue.

now, my only interest in the radio stuffs is enjoying it all.

with the early darkness after everyone's to bed and my father/husband/homeowner chores are all done, many a night I'm in the radio room just playing the sets while sitting in the easy chair, playing oldies on Pap's RCA SHF-5 Orthophonic HiFi from 1958 and firing up the old monoblocks into some classic 50's speakers.

I've also been enjoying my classic 80's solid state stuff too that i bought new in my teenage years.

I have developed other interests too, but when it comes to the radio collection, playing it is now my only interest.

so, in a nutshell over the last nearly 40 years, it has gone from getting/restoring/collecting "anything and everything", specializing in collecting radios in a specific era/style, to downsizing 98% of the stuff, cleaning out the shop, to losing interest, to wanting to buy nothing more, to sitting around enjoying 30 or so sets.

steve

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 5:32 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
... now, my only interest in the radio stuffs is enjoying it all.

I have developed other interests too, but when it comes to the radio collection, playing it is now my only interest.

so, in a nutshell over the last nearly 40 years, it has gone from getting/restoring/collecting "anything and everything", specializing in collecting radios in a specific era/style, to downsizing 98% of the stuff, cleaning out the shop, to losing interest, to wanting to buy nothing more, to sitting around enjoying 30 or so sets.

steve

Well stated.

I think the progression to enjoying what you have is logical. That's where I'm heading, too. Although I do have a dozen or more projects in the queue. I doubt I'll ever get to them all but that's OK.

"This is the last radio I will ever buy, dear; I promise"

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 5:46 pm 

Lessee, I've collected blondes & brunettes, maybe it's time to find a redhead or two??

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 5:52 pm 

It's interesting to see everyone's perspective. It looks like there are a lot of us who are in the same boat where we've got more 'stuff' that the wife likes around the house.... :lol: It also looks like I'm not the only one who gets a radio finished and then turns around and gives it away to a friend or family member. For me, once it's working well and in decent shape cosmetically, I'm ready to move on to another one.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 6:08 pm 

I,m nearly 68 and since childhood I have collected things. I started with coins as a child and got into 1950s jukeboxes in my thirties. Next came radios, vintage hifi, old farm tractors and related items. I always thought these items would be an asset for my kids to sell after I am gone.
Now I wonder if I am just leaving them a huge headache to dispose of as they have no interest in any of it. Do you guys know of the next generation (those in their 30s or 40s) collecting anything from the past? My circle of younger people seem to only want the next great cell phone or a bigger tv.
I'm thinking of buying a Corvette but I only like the pre 1968 models and wonder if they will meet the same lack of interest by future buyers. I think my generation has accumulated many things that will be trash for our heirs.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 6:42 pm 

azenithnut wrote:
... back in the 1980s, I did not consider any radio made after WWII as an "Antique Radio" It had to be made before WWII before I would classify it as such...

I was the same way. I just liked the big tubes. As time has gone on, however, I find I like to be able to use what I have, and so have discovered the charms of 50's hifi.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next