Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 16, 2018 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Collecting tastes evolving?
PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 7:24 pm 

ak217 wrote:
Now I wonder if I am just leaving them a huge headache to dispose of as they have no interest in any of it. Do you guys know of the next generation (those in their 30s or 40s) collecting anything from the past? My circle of younger people seem to only want the next great cell phone or a bigger tv.

I'm 31 and my wife is 30. Lots of people our age are into old stuff. Most call it 'retro' or 'vintage' but it's still the same old stuff.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 7:35 pm 

All of my kids and grandkids like the 'retro' stuff.

Unfortunately, none of them have the electronics know-how to keep them running. Even with the best restorations, it's just a matter of time before something fails or a tube gets weak. Then what?

I do intend on inheriting out what I have left, but not without some forthought on usefulness and maintenance. I'd like to leave them with some things they will enjoy having and using and with a plan in case (or rather when) something breaks. If they want to just sell it they can do that too, but it does take some effort to get the best price, so that too will have to be done intelligently.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 8:24 pm 

In radios, I had worked primarily with tabletop units of postwar vintage. In the last few years, I have evolved to larger console sets, ones that serve an entertainment purpose and are working pieces in the home. I've done a 70 year old mono Hi-Fi and am now bringing back a 55 year old stereo console. They are so much more rewarding than a display piece, although they do display well.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 9:23 pm 

ak217 wrote:
I,m nearly 68 and since childhood I have collected things. I started with coins as a child and got into 1950s jukeboxes in my thirties. Next came radios, vintage hifi, old farm tractors and related items. I always thought these items would be an asset for my kids to sell after I am gone.
Now I wonder if I am just leaving them a huge headache to dispose of as they have no interest in any of it. Do you guys know of the next generation (those in their 30s or 40s) collecting anything from the past? My circle of younger people seem to only want the next great cell phone or a bigger tv.
I'm thinking of buying a Corvette but I only like the pre 1968 models and wonder if they will meet the same lack of interest by future buyers. I think my generation has accumulated many things that will be trash for our heirs.

Buy the 'Vette, and anything else you'd like. The kinder can sell or give away any inherited items they don't want, so why worry about it? I WOULD however get rid of the tractors yourself when you're ready to.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 1:47 am 

I've always collected for the aesthetic kick. Used to be heavily into Deco. Still love it, but in recent decades we've gone further back in time and turned darker. Now we mostly look for things that frighten small children and some adults; hence a living room with early X-ray apparatus and a 30's surgical lamp (explosion-proof Operay) above the dining room table.

Not everyone collects for nostalgia. I was blessed in having a wonderful childhood in the 60's and 70's, but have no interest in stuff from that era.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 2:06 am 

Tim Mullen wrote:
... a living room with early X-ray apparatus and a 30's surgical lamp (explosion-proof Operay) above the dining room table...

Too cool. :D

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 11:18 am 

Over the decades, my collecting interests have shifted to the less-common radios and brands. In this part of the U.S., Philco and Emerson radios are very common, while other makes can be harder to find, especially the West Coast sets. I have accumulated several Setchell-Carlson radios, and they are definitely harder to find than some of the others. I'm not giving up my Philco, RCA, and Zenith sets, though. I haven't bought much lately, as I am still working on a huge backlog of unrestored stuff.

When I first started collecting, almost 50 years ago, Bakelite, Catalin, and plastic post-war sets were almost sneered at, while everyone (including me) wanted wooden radios. How times have changed!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 5:26 pm 

Maybe changing is the correct word for me. I just don't seem to have the interest that I once had. In fact I am getting ready to list my console radios in the for sale area here. I guess as we get older it is not unusual for hobby interests to change. For example I knew a couple of guys who loved to play golf. But a few months after they retired, they never played again. I guess golf is fun only if there is something else you should be doing. Maybe old radios are the same way.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 11:59 pm 

My interest in radio started around age 11. I had a mentor that helped me repair my first radio. I had two consoles I kept running through High School. I backed off a while till 25 when I started collecting what I found or my dad found. Not too many and resources were limited as internet wasn't available to me for a while yet, so I didn't restore many of them.

Then about 5 1/2 years ago I joined this site. I learned a lot and fixed up what I had and culled out some that took up needed space. I started researching and then finding radios that were appealing to me because of a specific feature, eye tubes, tuning meters, lights and nice dials etc. I also settled on mostly Zenith as I have most of the Transoceanics. Just my preference.

In the last 3 years I collected a few high end sets for restoration, a 12-S-265, 38-690, and a E-101 Colorama set. I have really started to develop cabinet restoration skills to help with these sets.

At this point, space is limited and my desire to go through all of the work nessasary to restore radios is not as big as it once was. I have what I want that I can afford, and life, work, and balancing my time is more of a priority now. It just takes so much time to fit in the work, that is is not as much fun as it once was. Besides, 21 radios is enough for my small house. At 50, I want to enjoy life and work twords retirement 7-8 years from now.
That doesn't mean I won't work on something for someone, picking and choosing my battles as I go.

So you could say I started, stopped for a while, got educated, and peaked my collection all in the last 39 years.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 3:29 am 

Our tastes have to evolve. When we start out, most of us will snatch up any radio that passes the coolness test. Soon, we run out of space for all the cool radios we buy. This forces us to narrow our focus. I look at some of the radios I bought when I first started in about 1975 and wonder what the hell I was thinking.

From about 1975 to 1990, I collected old Philcos, Radiolas, AKs etc. When I resumed in about 2000, it was boatanchors, and in the last few years, I've narrowed it down to military and pre-war boatanchors. I suspect I gravitated towards the boatanchors because I have such fond memories of SWLing in the 1960s, which is what got me interested in radios in the first place.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 05, 2018 7:56 am 

I bought a 1934 GE Cathedral radio that someone had done an amazing job of restoring inside and out. Looked like brand new and sounded great. I was so impressed with it and it reminded me how much I enjoyed electronics in High School and the advanced class we would be bused to at the Vocational School for four hours a day. At home I would take apart old TV's and radio and build amplifiers, it was great fun to me. Life had taken me away from that and I wanted to get back to it. I have a lot to learn about the old tube radios, they are quite different from repairing a computer numerical control system. I built my shop in the basement and bought most of the equipment i could think of that I would need. Found several radios for future projects and a few record players. My first restore job was an RCA EY2 record player. I took some time and frustration at times, but when I got done it made me feel like I had accomplished something. When I retire in the near future I will be spending a lot of my time in my new shop and look forward to the day when I have gained the knowledge and experience that many of you have. With so many types of radios out there I can't see me ever getting bored with it because to me it's fun to learn new things and use the knowledge gained to accomplish something of value. At some point I hope to have a collection that I can donate to our local museum for others to enjoy and to make the exhibit interactive. A young man delivering for UPS asked me what I had bought one day, when I told him it was an AK from 1929 he was dying to see it. I took it out of the box and let him turn the knobs while I explained the workings of it to him and his eyes lit up and he said to me "This is so cool!". There's hope for the future in our hobby but we have to get into the schools and let the kids know what they are missing. Local clubs should arrange with schools to come in to electronics classes and tell them about the golden days of radio and let them tune in a three dialer to see ,feel and hear what it's like. I would bet more kids would get excited about it if they were taught a little about restoring and collecting radios and actually got to play with a few. Radio has a great history and they should learn this too. Add in record players too now that kids are getting vinyl fever. We need to reach out to the kids and younger adults and I have no doubt a certain percentage will respond and get interested in it. Have classes after school or at night. We can't expect a new crop of radiomen to grow if we don't go out and plant the seeds. Just my thoughts.

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2